New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6              end

Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

ficifolia

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

ULTRON 27mm F2 X-mount INSTRUCTION MANUAL he says
"This product is intended to be used with the X-mount camera body.
Please note that using it with teleconverters, mount adapters, macro adapters, and other accessories, may cause problems."
Wich problems?
Can I use MCEX-11without causing damage to the camera or lens?
Thanks

Mar 26, 2024 at 06:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

ficifolia wrote:
ULTRON 27mm F2 X-mount INSTRUCTION MANUAL he says
"This product is intended to be used with the X-mount camera body.
Please note that using it with teleconverters, mount adapters, macro adapters, and other accessories, may cause problems."
Wich problems?
Can I use MCEX-11without causing damage to the camera or lens?
Thanks

While I haven't tried the MCEX-11 with it yet, I'm pretty sure it'll function smoothly. The mention from Cosina is probably because they only tested it with the cameras they listed as compatible, without trying other combinations.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

I recently bought an XF 27mm f/2.8 R WR lens to compare it with the CV 27/2 Ultron. Today, I did a quick resolution and contrast test, but the lighting conditions were changing rapidly, which affected the consistency across all frames. I plan to redo the test when the weather is more stable and share the results here.

Initially, I found that both lenses performed very similarly from the center to the corners when using comparable apertures.

Apr 05, 2024 at 07:36 PM
darwinphoto
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

I really like my Voigt 27mm in large part to the ergonomics and joy of usage. I guess I prefer manual focus.

Apr 06, 2024 at 10:43 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Back to Quick Links

Infinity performance: Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron vs Fujifilm XF 27mm f/2.8 R WR

I previously compared the Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron to the larger and optically superior Fujifilm 23mm f/2 R WR for resolution and contrast. The Fuji 23/2R WR demonstrated superior resolution and contrast, especially away from the center of the frame. To be fair to Cosina, I am now comparing the CV 27/2 Ultron to another similarly compact "pancake" lens, the XF 27/2 R WR. Both lenses offer a compact 27mm option for the Fujifilm system, with the Voigtlander being one stop faster while the Fuji has autofocus capability. However, it's impressive that Cosina was able to develop a high-performance lens that's slightly smaller than the Fuji lens while offering an additional stop of light-gathering capability, which is significant.

In the resolution and contrast results, both lenses show similar performance across the frame at any aperture. The only notable difference is that at f/2.8, the Fuji lens performs slightly better, displaying less astigmatism in the extreme corners. However, it's important to note that differences in manufacturing tolerances could potentially have a more significant impact than the minor variations observed in this comparison. Overall, both lenses are well-centered and serve as excellent examples of their respective models.

Here is the full image thumbnail showing the area demonstrated at 1:1 magnification.

1. Distance: Infinity
  2. Camera: FUJIFILM X-PRO3
  3. Focus: Center - Best of three @ 12.4x magnification
  4. WB: Daylight
  5. Lens centered using my decentering test. My Voigtlander Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron copy is perfectly centered.
  6. Software: Lightroom with my default landscape sharpening. All other settings set to default
PS: Vignetting and distortion were NOT corrected. All in-camera corrections turned 'off'.

Center Resolution and Contrast: Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron vs Fuji 27mm f/2.8 R WR

At f/2.8, both lenses exhibit similar performance, which is noteworthy considering this aperture is wide open for the Fuji lens.

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Mid-Field Resolution and Contrast: Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron vs Fuji 27mm f/2.8 R WR

f/2.8: Similar performance starting at this aperture.

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Extreme Corner Resolution and Contrast: Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron vs Fuji 27mm f/2.8 R WR

At f/2.8, the Fuji lens performs slightly better, showing less astigmatism at the extreme corners.

f/4: Starting at this aperture both lenses perform similarly

f/5.6

f/8

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rsrsrs
• • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

have the same Problem, which one to keep.
2.0 vs AF.
🤔

Apr 08, 2024 at 08:58 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

rsrsrs wrote:
have the same Problem, which one to keep.
2.0 vs AF.
🤔

I'm keeping both because I tend to pick up the Voigtlander whenever shooting in lower light.

Apr 08, 2024 at 09:18 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

In addition to providing autofocus, another benefit of shooting with the Fuji XF 27/2.8 R WR (compared to the Voigtlander) is the ability to utilize Lens Modulation Optimizer (LMO), a feature available for Fujifilm lenses.

LMO appears to only impact raw files (.RAF), but based on my testing, it essentially enhances sharpness across the image field to mitigate diffraction effects. With the XF 27/2.8 lens, there's no difference when shooting wide open or one stop down (at f/2.8 and f/4), but starting at f/5.6, there's a clear improvement in sharpness across the entire field.

It's a great choice for photographers who shoot in JPG or convert RAF files to JPG either in-camera or using Fuji X Studio during post-processing.

F/8 Mid-field: LEFT (LMO OFF) | RIGHT (LMO ON)

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:40 AM
Mummdad

p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
@yukosteel@ recently shared a disassembly article about the Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount.

Having read the 18mm disassembly article about how easily dust can get into that lens and @yukosteel@'s recommendation of a filter, I was wondering how others are approaching this or if they're not too concerned? Obviously some dust is inevitable regardless but I'm guessing that keeping the lens hood on then periodically clearing out any debris should mitigate it a fair bit?

I could see that something subtle like a 1/8 Glimmerglass might work well enough with the Voigtlander character when more or less permanently attached.

Currently waiting on mine to arrive, at which point I guess I'll find out how much I like the manual lens experience on my new (!) X-Pro2! It's a shame the communication doesn't work on that because it feels like it should be a very natural home for these Voigtlanders.

First post here by the way, thanks very much for the incredibly useful reviews of these lenses. It's great to know that the 27mm f2.8 WR doesn't lose out too much since I might end up falling back to that in the end, in fact I'll probably end up grabbing one at some point anyway for a bit more peace of mind in rougher weather.

May 22, 2024 at 05:29 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

I've 3D-printed a glass adapter that fits inside the CV 18 and 27's hood. What I did was remove the glass from a B+W UV filter and place it under this adapter. This allows the glass to fit snugly between the hood and lens without any wiggle. It keeps the lens as compact as possible while accommodating a high-quality filter. I can post the 3D print file if anyone is interested.

Mummdad wrote:
Having read the 18mm disassembly article about how easily dust can get into that lens and @yukosteel@@'s recommendation of a filter, I was wondering how others are approaching this or if they're not too concerned? Obviously some dust is inevitable regardless but I'm guessing that keeping the lens hood on then periodically clearing out any debris should mitigate it a fair bit?

I could see that something subtle like a 1/8 Glimmerglass might work well enough with the Voigtlander character when more or less permanently attached.

Currently waiting on mine to arrive, at which point I guess I'll find out how much
...Show more

May 22, 2024 at 07:38 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

i did the same with a littl O ring seal which i put between the hood and Filter.

May 23, 2024 at 02:38 AM
Mummdad

p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Voigtlander 27mm f/2 Ultron X-mount Review

Cool ideas, I did think the design might lend itself to DIY solutions. I don't have a 3D printer myself but I could send the file somewhere to be made if you don't mind posting it please?

As it happens, a place in the UK is doing Marumi stuff half price at the moment so I ordered a couple of their Exus Solid protectors which are apparently comparable to B+W, at least as far as the glass and coatings go. Obviously I ordered a couple because the 18mm is looking very likely now, I can already tell I'm going to enjoy going manual.

I think I'm going to need some sort of extra solution because I've found the mini hood cover surprisingly difficult to remove without fumbling it. I did try a film canister top in there as I saw that mentioned as a possibility but it won't quite fit, at least the T-Max 400 one I have to hand. Having a filter in there means the hood can just stay open whilst out with the camera.

May 23, 2024 at 03:57 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.