FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              17       18       end

Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled and open for pre-orders
The Leica Q3 was announced today, bringing its uniquely powerful features and timeless design to photography enthusiasts worldwide.

The Leica Q3 is a powerful and portable camera that combines classic design with modern features. It features a 60MP full-frame sensor, allowing for high-resolution and detailed images. The camera also introduces Triple Resolution Technology, enabling photographers to choose between 60MP, 36MP, or 18MP output with rich colors and a wide dynamic range.

The Q3 comes with the Summilux 28mm f/1.7 lens, providing a wide-angle view and fast performance. It incorporates a hybrid autofocus system, combining phase-detection and contrast-detection for improved speed and accuracy, along with intelligent subject tracking. The camera also excels in video recording, supporting DCI 8K recording, 4K recording with high color depth, and ProRes 422 HQ recording for professional-quality videos.

The Q3 features an updated electronic viewfinder with high resolution and a fast refresh rate, as well as a new tilting touchscreen LCD that enhances shooting flexibility. Its compact and weather-sealed design makes it suitable for everyday use in various environments. The camera is equipped with a high-capacity battery, a USB-C port for fast data transfer and charging, and a micro-HDMI port for external monitoring.

In terms of connectivity, the Q3 offers improved wireless capabilities with faster transfer speeds through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. The Leica FOTOS app allows for easy wireless transfer and the addition of Leica Looks to enhance your images. Moreover, with the optional HG-DC1 Wireless Charging Handgrip, the Q3 supports wireless battery charging via Qi-compatible charging mats.

Overall, the Leica Q3 is a versatile and high-performance camera that merges classic design with advanced technologies, making it an excellent choice for photography enthusiasts seeking both still and video capabilities in a portable package.

Pre-order today: ($5,995)

B&H Photo | Adorama

The Leica Q3 at a glance:

• 60 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor with Triple Resolution Technology
• 14 stops of dynamic range and ISO range from 50 – 100,000
• Built-in 28mm Summilux f/1.7 ASPH lens with digital zoom up to 90mm
• 3-inch vertically-tilting touchscreen with 76% more resolution
• High-res 5.76 MP OLED EVF
• Wireless charging via accessory hand grip
• USB-C port for charging and tethering
• New battery with 18% more capacity
• Maestro IV Processor with 8GB of buffer memory
• Contrast and Phase Detection autofocus with eye, face, body and animal tracking
• 8K video resolution output and ProRes video support
• HDMI port for connecting external recorders and for playback on TV's
• Weather Sealed with IP52 certification
• Threaded shutter release button
• Handmade in Germany

New Features:

• Introduction of a new 60-megapixel Back Illuminated CMOS Sensor for enhanced image quality.
• Inclusion of USB-C and Mini HDMI connectors for improved connectivity options.
• Implementation of PDAF (Phase Detection Auto Focus) for quicker and more accurate focusing.
• Addition of a tilting LCD screen for increased versatility in capturing angles.
• Upgraded Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities for enhanced wireless connectivity.
• Provision of multiple file size options (small, medium, and full) for both DNG and/or JPG files, with resolutions of 60.3, 36.5, and 18.6 megapixels.
• Integration of reliable geotagging features in conjunction with Leica Fotos.
• Rear button layout modification for improved ergonomics and user experience.
• Support for long exposures, allowing flexibility in adjusting ISO and shutter speed settings. Long Exposure Noise Reduction can be disabled.
• Addition of one extra function button for increased customization options.
• USB-C charging capability for convenient and fast charging.
• Optional grip accessory enabling WiFi charging functionality.
• Enhanced resolution in the electronic viewfinder (EVF) with 5,760,000 dots and a magnification of 0.79.
• Improved resolution in the display with a 3-inch screen and 1,843,200 dots.
• Digital zoom now includes framelines for 28, 35, 50, 75, and 90mm focal lengths, providing a wider range of composition options.

Leica Q3 Accessories:

At B&H Photo | Explora Q3 Review

May 25, 2023 at 09:41 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Leica Q3 initial review

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-q3-initial-review

May 25, 2023 at 09:48 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Adorama Q3 Hands-On Review

Q3 Review-Jonathan Slack

May 25, 2023 at 09:50 AM
brieabram

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Underwhelming resolution for the EVF and rear display in 2023

May 25, 2023 at 10:11 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

A true panoramic framing in the viewfinder (56x24) would have been very welcome, turning into the smallest digital X-Pan. I cannot think of a single reason why this is not offered - it would simply boost their sales. The same argument goes for the Sony A7riv and A7rv.

May 25, 2023 at 10:24 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Man, I have no doubts this thing will be absolutely incredible for its purpose, with phenomenal image quality, amazing build quality, etc. I just don't see a world where I could ever justify $6,000 on a compact pocket camera.

May 25, 2023 at 10:26 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Would not call it a pocket camera..

Jman13 wrote:
Man, I have no doubts this thing will be absolutely incredible for its purpose, with phenomenal image quality, amazing build quality, etc. I just don't see a world where I could ever justify $6,000 on a compact pocket camera.

May 25, 2023 at 10:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

From B&H Explora:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/videos/photography/leica-makes-waves-with-q3-camera-announcement

May 25, 2023 at 11:06 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

To me I look at the Q2 and now this the Q3 and spending pretty much my whole life as a Pro this is no question maybe the coolest retirement camera out there. Im just not in full retirement though. I will be keeping my eye on it.

May 25, 2023 at 11:20 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Welcoming the Q3 to the Leica FOTOS app family. Ver. 4.0.0

May 25, 2023 at 11:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Now that sounds interesting...I love the Leica Fotos app....Probably the biggest thing no one talks about. I never transfer files anymore via card. Especially on the road.

Being able to take unique profiles etc via the app for JPG profiles could be something pretty cool if that is what Leica is doing. For example creating a Kodachrome profile or something along those lines straight from Leica.

Would love to see it and interested to know more.

Edit: That is exactly what Leica did. My ned app is already showing the "Leica Looks". Sepia, Classic Leica, Leica Blue etc are all in the app now. For the Q3 only it looks like.

Edited on May 25, 2023 at 11:37 AM · View previous versions

May 25, 2023 at 11:33 AM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

True, but the Q2 is pretty amazing too and you should see some decent used prices now. That's the good thing about a new product launch. Not only does the new shiny tech come out, but it makes previous models more obtainable for people.

Jman13 wrote:

May 25, 2023 at 11:36 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

May 25, 2023 at 11:40 AM
akashyap
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

The Qi compatible wireless charging is great for an every day camera you want to just pick up and use. I tried wireless charging on my nightstand with my phone, and it didn’t work well - I usually needed power in bed as the night was winding down. Then I tried wireless charging for my wireless headphones and it was a game changer. I always leave my headphones and case on the wireless charging pad in my office, and it’s always ready to go, no more low battery or plugging in wires. I see the Q3 falling into the latter category, just pick up and go whenever you need it.

Makes me wonder - any camera can have a dummy battery connected to a Qi compatible baseplate…

May 25, 2023 at 11:44 AM
Drew23
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Yeah, as a Q2 owner, the Q3 feels like it’s 20% better for double the price (used q2). I thought the swivel screen implementation was subpar and the limited availability of ProRes (only in 1080p) was anticlimactic.

May 25, 2023 at 11:45 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Leica FOTOS ver 4.0.0 "Edit Photos and Video in Darkroom and view them in your Leica Gallery"

https://darkroom.co/blog/2023-05-25-leica-integration

May 25, 2023 at 11:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Notable excerpts from Jonathan Slack's Q3 Review:

Pros:

"The Leica Q3 has the same, wonderful, 28mm f1.7 Summilux lens as it's predecessors, This is certainly a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"."

"Tilting LCD: This has been very nicely implemented: Most of us will have the screen behaviour set to EVF Extended (so that menus and review comes up on the rear screen LCD and the EVF is used for framing and shooting). If you pull out the tilting LCD then the camera assumes that's how you will be framing and the LCD switches on. When you push it back in it reverts to EVF Extended. Excellent!"

"The new sensor is a real step forwards. Leica aren't very forthcoming about sensors, but as I understand it this is a modified version of the sensor in the M11. BSI sensors are much better at low light, and this is something I've had a look at."

"The Q3 has hugely improved WiFi and much better Bluetooth than the Q2, As a result the connection with Leica Fotos is much faster. Download of images over WiFi to your phone or tablet is really fast In fact it's much faster than a cable connection (and of course much more convenient)."

"With the Q3 any combination of ISO and shutter speed can be used, and long exposure NR can be disabled. This makes the Q3 very suitable for night photography, especially when you consider the excellent high ISO capabilities of the camera."

"USB-C Charging: This option is so convenient. It means that when you arrive in Fuerteventura for 10 days and find you forgot to pack your charger it's no drama. In fact I find it more convenient than the traditional charger - I have a USB block by my bed to charge phone / watch and it has a USB-C cable so it can charge the camera overnight as well."

"Better resolution Display 3" 1,843,200 dot: The display quality is really good, clear and bright with excellent viewing angles and real detail."

"Leica Fotos works extremely well with the Q3: WiFi download of larger DNG files is incredibly quick (much faster than using the cable provided). Geotagging is now accurate and consistent. You don’t need to have the camera connected to the app for it to work, just to have the app loaded on your phone."

"Leica ‘Looks': These can be chosen in Fotos and transferred to the camera - they are: Contemporary, Classic, Blue, Selenium and Sepia"

"Image Quality: This is where the Q3 really shines, the new sensor has incredible dynamic range and excellent high ISO characteristics. It's hard to measure the dynamic range improvement (it's obvious though), but I feel that the new camera offers about 1.5 stops improvement in noise at high ISO."

Cons:

"Instead of 3 buttons however there is just the Play and Menu buttons, with an improved four way switch where the FN button used to be. I'm not really convinced by this, I can see the rationale, but it was good to be able to use both hands on the rear screen, and the large function button on the left was extremely useful."

"The only downside of the new sensor is that it has a slower readout time than the one on the Q2, This will result in more of a ‘rolling shutter’ effect when using the electronic viewfinder, it also results in a slightly longer blackout time between shots when you fire quickly."

"At the moment the focusing of the Q3 doesn't seem a great deal better than the Q2 (which was very good), but this is something that should be able to be improved in firmware updates in the future."

"There is a new port on the left hand side of the camera (looking from the back). This contains USB-C port and a mini HDMI connector. The door itself is plastic and it is hinged on two rubbery strips attached to the camera body so it pulls clear. It seems to me that this is a much better solution than a hinged door (however tough) because if it breaks it won't be part of the camera and should be easily replaced."

"Just like the Q2, at the longer focal lengths the display shows frame lines representing the crop. For lots of purposes this is perfect, but I think it would also be great to have an option to show the crop full screen"

"Continuous focus and tracking are still behind the competition, but at least now Leica have finally embraced PDAF (Phase Detect AF) we can expect real improvements in firmware going forwards."

May 25, 2023 at 11:51 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

LBJ2 wrote:
Leica FOTOS ver 4.0.0 "Edit Photos and Video in Darkroom and view them in your Leica Gallery"

https://darkroom.co/blog/2023-05-25-leica-integration

https://darkroom.co/assets/images/posts/2023-05-25-leica-darkroom.jpg

I feel the LightRoom integration is already good enough and the experience of Lightroom on my Ipad Pro is phenomenal!!!

Good to see Leica is thinking about how people really want to use the gear, especially for a travel/mobile camera like the Q3.

May 25, 2023 at 11:51 AM
Agnstodds

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Not sure if this was posted yet but this is pretty much the same charging pad made by the brand that Leica collaborated with

NATIVE UNION Drop XL Wireless Charger – 10W Multi-Device Fast Charging Pad Compatible with iPhone & Qi Compatible Devices (Adapter for US, Europe and UK Included)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X3LRZDB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 25, 2023 at 12:02 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Looks like Q3 broke FM forum.

May 25, 2023 at 12:37 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.