New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16              18       end

Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Now that we have some people using the Q3 for a bit, I'd love to get some feedback with regards to AF performance in low light. Does the Q3 perform better than say the Q2? Would the Q2M be better than the Q3? If the Q3 performs just as well as the Q2M, I'll be super happy.

Aug 02, 2023 at 03:44 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

I shot a 1 hr museum show in low light and all are in af with Q3, perfect. I cannot say the same with Q2 from my street shooting experience. Similarly Q3 af with Ricoh wide angle lens when Q2 couldn't af at all.... I have not tried Q2M.

Gary Clennan wrote:
Now that we have some people using the Q3 for a bit, I'd love to get some feedback with regards to AF performance in low light. Does the Q3 perform better than say the Q2? Would the Q2M be better than the Q3? If the Q3 performs just as well as the Q2M, I'll be super happy.

Aug 02, 2023 at 03:49 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Firmware 1.2.0 is out:

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/downloads?download_area_category=1156&field_media_document_language=984

Fred Miranda wrote:
Leica is rumored to release soon a new Q3 camera firmware update. Here are two of the issues that will be addressed:

➼ Many Leica Q3 owners have experienced problems with the Q3 not shutting down when powered off. When this happens, the only way to shut it down is to remove the battery and put it back in. A similar issue was present also with some old M camera models.
➼ The other issue that is supposed to be fixed is one with the playback mode where images wonít display properly and sometimes lock up the camera.

https://leicarumors.com/2023/07/27/leica-q3-firmware-update-coming-soon.aspx/#more-88282

Aug 04, 2023 at 10:32 AM
sarkleshark

p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Firmware 1.2 released!

Aug 04, 2023 at 03:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

What changed in v1.2.0:

Aug 05, 2023 at 10:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Did the latest update fixed the lockups and crashes?

Aug 11, 2023 at 11:08 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:

I'm reading it didn't, but it's a very small sample size of users.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/380496-leica-q3-firmware-v12-fixes-freezes/?do=findComment&comment=4832946

Aug 11, 2023 at 03:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

highdesertmesa wrote:
I'm reading it didn't, but it's a very small sample size of users.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/380496-leica-q3-firmware-v12-fixes-freezes/?do=findComment&comment=4832946

Since all the newer bodies are having issues. How is your M11M treating you?

I've never experienced any crashes or freezes with my M10-R camera. I use it a lot, changing lenses and SD cards frequently, even using uncoded lenses. The same goes for my Q2 camera Ė it hasn't frozen once, even after using it extensively.

Aug 11, 2023 at 04:18 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:

My understanding is that Leica has identified two issues that can cause the camera to freeze. This update only fixes one of them and Leica says another update is coming for the other.

Aug 11, 2023 at 04:23 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:

I've never experienced any crashes or freezes with my M10-R camera. I use it a lot, changing lenses and SD cards frequently, even using uncoded lenses. The same goes for my Q2 camera Ė it hasn't frozen once, even after using it extensively.

The M11M has been rock solid and not a single freeze. About ~600 shots so far, most of them in a two day period with lots of power-on/power-off cycles that would have caused a freeze on my old M11s. But others have reported freezing issues with the M11M on Leica Forum, so I wouldn't declare it immune.

I'm going to wait on the M11-P or M11-P Safari before buying another one just to be safe. I want the extra internal memory, more durable rear LCD screen glass, and the P styling without the red dot anyway.

I never had an issue with the M10-P I had for a very short time nor the M10-R I had for longer than that. But I can't go back to not having the electronic shutter and shorter battery life Ė would rather wait.

Aug 11, 2023 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

patotts
• • • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:

I used to be an early adopter, but since quite a few years I just want me stuff to work. I want the Toyota Land Cruiser of gear - the stuff that just works year in and year out.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

patotts wrote:
I used to be an early adopter, but since quite a few years I just want me stuff to work. I want the Toyota Land Cruiser of gear - the stuff that just works year in and year out.

Like Highdesertmesa my M11 has been flawless without a single freeze or issue of any kind. I use it daily, and have shot a ton of images with it.

Still with all the other reports of problems I am not entirely comfortable. That is why I still have my well proven M10-P in reserve.

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

1bwana1 wrote:
Like Highdesertmesa my M11 has been flawless without a single freeze or issue of any kind. I use it daily, and have shot a ton of images with it.

Still with all the other reports of problems I am not entirely comfortable. That is why I still have my well proven M10-P in reserve.

I've had a different experience with M11 camera bodies. They've been locking up and crashing frequently for me. Seeing comments about flawless M11 cameras actually worsens the situation, as it suggests the problem might be with the hardware, not just the software.

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:34 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've had a different experience with M11 camera bodies. They've been locking up and crashing frequently for me. Seeing comments about flawless M11 cameras actually worsens the situation, as it suggests the problem might be with the hardware, not just the software.

I have to agree. You either get one that works or one that freezes randomly on startup and/or shutdown. Nearly all the freezes during operation have been addressed in firmware, but this other kind of freezing seems to not want to go away. The thread on Leica Forum about M11 freezes has had those of us with this specific issue chasing our tails to find a common cause, but the only commonality seems to be the M11 itself. I have posited the idea that at this point so late after the M11 introduction, Leica should hire a third party consultant group to investigate and root out the cause(s).

If I was going to get an M11, I would get one from a large, trusted dealer like Leica Miami that will stand behind the M11 with immediate replacement should your copy start to freeze. They said in their most recent YT video that they have had very few issues with M11s sold from their store.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:53 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Fred Miranda wrote:

I understand what you are saying. Do you still have your M11? I thought you returned it in exchange for an M10-R.

It is really hard to understand what the true reliability status of the M11 is. I read a lot of reports like yours complaining about freezing up. Those cause me concern as I have said.

I have spoken about this with a number of people who should have a good handle on reliability. They include staff at 4 different Leica stores. Three here in the US, and one in Italy. The new West Coast Leica rep, and the Old one now promoted to Corporate. They all respond in the same way. In total they have sold thousands of M11s. They say very, very few people have issues. When they do they just replace the camera many times. They say it is just that those that do have problems are very vocal about it on line.

Of course these people who are in a position to actually know the numbers, also have an professional agenda to say favorable things about Leica, and minimize perceptions of problems with the brand. So I am never comfortable that I am getting straight stories from either side. I am just happy that my experience so far has been problem free.

It may be how I currently use the camera. I have a very simple setup.

I shoot to the SD card (3 year old Sony G 64GB 300/299GB II) with overflow to the internal storage. This gives me 128GB of storage. I shoot deliberately so have never filled the SD card, and delete all files whenever I have loaded them on to my computer system.

I shoot pretty much exclusively L-DNG, never JPEG.

I shoot almost always through the Range Finder, rarely live view ot EVF.

I shoot with a custom profile that includes different setups for different uses.

Primarily I set F/Stop and Shutter Speed, while ISO is set to M with limits set.

I have my rear custom wheel set to Exposure compensation, and ISO when pressed.

The top programable button is set to digital zoom.

I have used most of the other menu items sparingly but experimented with them all. No issues found.

I have shot landscapes with the Photos App, also no issues. I really like it.

I shoot a variety of 5 lenses, changing with some frequency. Two Leica and three Voigtlander.

In short I exercise many of the features in my camera without issues.

I fully believe, but can't explain all the problem reports. I wish there was some place we could go to get a real handle on the frequency of such problems.

Maybe you should try another more recently manufactured M11 if that is what you really want. It is a magnificent camera when all is working well.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

1bwana1 wrote:
Maybe you should try another more recently manufactured M11 if that is what you really want. It is a magnificent camera when all is working well.

I don't want to give another one a shot. I've tried three already, and they all had problems. At this point I'm quite happy with what I have but will reconsider a future model.

Aug 12, 2023 at 02:33 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

Curiously I did see mine freeze up a couple times early on, but itís been solid ever since. Very happy with the M11. But if I had an M10R like Fred Iím not sure itís a slam dunk upgrade, that M10R is pretty sweet.

Aug 12, 2023 at 03:21 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

I just updated. Again my Q3 had only one freezing with a new 256Mb Lexar card and there was no freezing after formatting the card.

Aug 13, 2023 at 01:58 PM
TheEyesHaveIt
• •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

My M11 was freezing from time to time, even with the latest firmware. Then somebody suggested that OS X writes hidden files to the SD card sometimes which might be causing some issues. So after reformatting with the SD card formatter, I now lock the SD card before inserting it into my Mac and then unlock it again when putting it back into the M11. So far, no freezes on the M11. Might be the same issue with the Q3 too.

Aug 13, 2023 at 05:14 PM
Stephen G
• • •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Official: Leica Q3 Unveiled, Now Open for Pre-Orders

I had developed the habit back in the M8 days of formatting the SD card in-camera after every time I removed it download photos to my computer. I have maintained that method for.. I guess close to 15 years, haha.

Wonder how that interacts with the M11, though from my reading thereís too many people complaining and no common thread to their config/usage for it to be a simple compat problem.

Iím with Fred that thereís probably some hardware issue they are going to slow walk announcing a fix for.

Aug 13, 2023 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.