New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              12       13       end

Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

yeah, I think it would be just 'fine' on film. But I much prefer to buy it from their US Amazon store than Aliexpress.
It's strange that their AMZ store has a bunch of lenses listed that are not available, but not this one. And Bastian has not been able to contact anyone at Brightin.

Jun 22, 2023 at 12:25 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Desmolicious wrote:
yeah, I think it would be just 'fine' on film. But I much prefer to buy it from their US Amazon store than Aliexpress.
It's strange that their AMZ store has a bunch of lenses listed that are not available, but not this one. And Bastian has not been able to contact anyone at Brightin.

One explanation could be that they are shipping a batch to their US warehouse since most of their lenses on the Amazon page have prime shipping. (1-2 day delivery). That could take some time.

Aliexpress ships directly from China.

Jun 22, 2023 at 09:32 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Someone from the Leica board reached out to their Chinese marketing team for me and he was told
that the guy handling the overseas marketing was in a traffic accident last month and is still recovering,
therefore the overseas operations are on hold for the time being.
They were not able to give a release date but used the term "in the upcoming months", so it seems we have to be patient.

Jun 24, 2023 at 02:16 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

BastianK wrote:
Someone from the Leica board reached out to their Chinese marketing team for me and he was told
that the guy handling the overseas marketing was in a traffic accident last month and is still recovering,
therefore the overseas operations are on hold for the time being.
They were not able to give a release date but used the term "in the upcoming months", so it seems we have to be patient.

Thanks for the info. And I wish a speedy recovery for that dood.

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:19 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

I ordered one.. let's see what shows up. Fred ordered the new MS Optics 28 1.7 which has a very similar form factor. Perhaps he'll do a comparison.

Jun 29, 2023 at 04:57 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Funleader will do a collaboration on this one with Brightin Star.
Release is supposed to be July 5th.
Review sample of this 28mm 2.8 is now finally on its way to me.
I also put in a reservation for the MS 28mm 1.7.
I need a compact 28mm for my CLE, let's see which one fares better.

Jun 30, 2023 at 12:48 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

BastianK wrote:
Funleader will do a collaboration on this one with Brightin Star.
Release is supposed to be July 5th.
Review sample of this 28mm 2.8 is now finally on its way to me.
I also put in a reservation for the MS 28mm 1.7.
I need a compact 28mm for my CLE, let's see which one fares better.

Nice! I just received notice mine shipped. I also saw Funleader is charging about $30 more than getting it from AliExpress.

Style wise the MS 28 looks fantastic. While the BS looks similar except for the bizarre decision to double up on all the writing. Which looks, well, lame.

Jun 30, 2023 at 09:51 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

A 'review'. To be honest, I think all the reviews that this site does are awful. It's almost as if they never use the gear. But it's the first English language review out there, so here you go:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2023/07/05/funleader-x-brightin-star-28mm-review/

Frankly I feel like deleting the link because the pic samples are so awful - camera shake, out of focus, some pics look like he didn't even realize he pushed the shutter button - but I'll leave it up so you can rubber neck the accident scene as you drive by.

Jul 05, 2023 at 12:27 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

I should be getting the 28mm 2.8 today, but I will probably not follow up on my MS-Optics 28mm 1.7 reservation.
They added some new surcharges and that in combination with Germany's huge import taxes pushes it in a territory I am not willing to go at the moment.

Jul 06, 2023 at 01:21 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

BastianK wrote:
I should be getting the 28mm 2.8 today, but I will probably not follow up on my MS-Optics 28mm 1.7 reservation.
They added some new surcharges and that in combination with Germany's huge import taxes pushes it in a territory I am not willing to go at the moment.

Really looking forward to your review. Because my review will be starting with the expectation that it is cr@p, and work up from there. Low expectations are the key to optical satisfaction..

Jul 06, 2023 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BastianK
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Desmolicious wrote:
Really looking forward to your review. Because my review will be starting with the expectation that it is cr@p, and work up from there. Low expectations are the key to optical satisfaction..

It is a good idea.

Most of the frame looks great at f/2.8. Surprisingly great. And even flare resistance is pretty good.

Now the corner and border regions...
The corners would be in focus at roughly 2 x infinity.
Meaning it is impossible to get it sharp corner to corner.
Not exactly what I would hope for in a not-to-fast 28mm lens.

And they did not only copy the design of the MS-Optics lenses, but also one of their biggest flaws:
The lens does not fully cover the 6-bit reader on digital M cameras.
Meaning you get thrown out of liveview all the time, because the camera thinks you changed lenses.

Jul 07, 2023 at 12:56 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Test it on your M6, it may be more suitable on film.

Jul 07, 2023 at 01:04 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Desmolicious wrote:
Test it on your M6, it may be more suitable on film.

I haven't come across any lens yet that has better corner sharpness on film vs M10. Not even the Hologon.

Jul 07, 2023 at 01:09 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

I think most people who are interested in this lens already saw the samples on the Leica board,
but that thread has now been hijacked by a Leica Q fanboy, so I thought might be worth sharing them here, too.

These are pictures that are rather favourable to this lens' characteristics, I could also post some to make it look very bad
They did - however - receive a +9 barrel distortion correction.

Jul 11, 2023 at 05:02 AM
ottokbre
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Yeah these are pretty flattering photos for that lens. Take it outside when the light is awful

Jul 11, 2023 at 01:24 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

ottokbre wrote:
Take it outside when the light is awful

Challenge... accepted.

Jul 11, 2023 at 01:42 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

BastianK wrote:
I think most people who are interested in this lens already saw the samples on the Leica board,
but that thread has now been hijacked by a Leica Q fanboy...

Ahh yes, I see he has turned it into a train wreck. Cannot dare criticize the mothership!

He is the same person who back in the day claimed that his contacts at Leica assured him the M9 sensor failure rate was 2%.

When the actuality is/was pretty much 100%

Before the M10 came out, and before we knew it was in development, he argued with me that it was impossible to make a digital M camera smaller than the M240, while I argued it was completely possible and cited all the reasons so. And then the M10 was released and he didn't say a word..

So now the subject of lens distortion in the Q2 has been brought up and he has to launch into the same tired defensive posturing..

Jul 11, 2023 at 02:13 PM
ottokbre
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

Itís pretty common knowledge that the Q lens is great but is distorted w/o in-camera correction yeah? Thatís kind of the brilliance of it. Itís not over corrected and flat but performs great and itís built on so itís not like you need to setup a lens profile.

Jul 11, 2023 at 08:03 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

ottokbre wrote:
Itís pretty common knowledge that the Q lens is great but is distorted w/o in-camera correction yeah? Thatís kind of the brilliance of it. Itís not over corrected and flat but performs great and itís built on so itís not like you need to setup a lens profile.

Agreed. What matters is the end result. But apparently no problem with software lens correction on their $6000 baby, but find it an issue when it may be needed on a $300 lens.

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:16 AM
mboy

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Brightin Star 28mm f/2.8 lens for Leica M-mount

It's obvious compromises to IQ would of been made to get the lens down to 1cm in size, but the results speak for themselves how suprising it performs.

Probably more of a practical issue is how it handles as it seems to be aimed at every day general travel.Does the focusing rotate when adjusting the aperture, which looks somewhat fiddly to adjust?

All in all it seems like a novel street lens I'd pick up.

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.