Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6              68       69       end

Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
If you don’t understand the negative implications of this particular implementation on a high-performance body, you should do some research and catch up to the conversation.

That said, I haven’t seen a single poster say it’s going to prevent them from a possible purchase, handwringing canceled.

Exactly. I'm going to do what I do now with a Z9: have a high-end card in slot 1 and a regular card in slot 2. Periodically, copy things from slot 1 to 2.

Saves a bit of money and enables high-speed everything. I'm not worried about the lack of simulataneous backup: we don't have that now for video with the Z9, and I've never had a CFExpress card failure, so I'm not woried about stills. Or if I was, I'd do "backup" and accept the smaller buffer for stills.

Edited on May 11, 2023 at 11:00 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2023 at 10:50 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
USB has worked fine for me so far on the Z9. I prefer to leave my cards in the camera as much as possible to keep wear and tear low on both the card and slot.

I do the same and have been using Ethernet for volume or WiFi for regular stuff.

With USB I can see the pictures in Windows, but I can't see the save files so I need a reader for the corner-case (backing them up, e.g., menu and network configs). And I can't download the pictures using Windows.

Is there a configuration for the Z9 that will allow full management of the in-body cards with USB?

May 11, 2023 at 10:56 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

kaplah wrote:
I do the same and have been using Ethernet for volume or WiFi for regular stuff.

With USB I can see the pictures in Windows, but I can't see the save files so I need a reader for the corner-case (backing them up, e.g., menu and network configs). And I can't download the pictures using Windows.

Is there a configuration for the Z9 that will allow full management of the in-body cards with USB?

Just use NX Transfer to move them via USB to Windows or Mac harddrives.

May 11, 2023 at 11:00 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I can just imagine the incredible photos that are going to be posted once the Z8 gets in peoples hands

May 11, 2023 at 11:34 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Z8 does not have GPS (according to Steve Perry in his vid yesterday).

So, if that is a dealbreaker for someone, is there hardware or software or some add-on that would yield accurate GPS?

I agree with you guys who say that the battery and one card is no biggy. I can work with that. But I am having GPS on my next camera.

May 11, 2023 at 11:45 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

bs kite wrote:

So, if that is a dealbreaker for someone, is there hardware or software or some add-on that would yield accurate GPS?

Snapbridge will, but it barely works and I would NOT suggest that as a solution for someone that NEEDS gps.

So far, it really looks like you're buying my Z9

May 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

bs kite wrote:

I agree with you guys who say that the battery and one card is no biggy. I can work with that. But I am having GPS on my next camera.

It does not have built in GPS, that is correct. You can however use the Snapbridge app which will embed the GPS location of your phone to your images. It's slightly more hassle obviously than having it built into the camera, but it's a fairly easy workaround.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see Scott already replied.

May 11, 2023 at 12:09 PM
dasams
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

It's very disappointing that Snapbridge doesn't work with iOS 16.4. If you go to the Apple App Store, you'll see that the latest Snapbridge version is 2.9.1 and it was released 6 months ago. Come on Nikon - update that app so that we can import GPS 😡

May 11, 2023 at 12:11 PM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

You can get e.g. a foolography device which plugs onto the 10-pin connector and connects a gps logger to the camera.

bs kite wrote:

May 11, 2023 at 12:17 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:

Thanks Scott, for trying.

a) it (Nikon Transfer 2) crashes often on my system and b) it's picture only, I think, and so can't retrieve saved configs for backup.

So at the moment I'm stuck with a card reader for some things.

May 11, 2023 at 12:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:

On my computer, NX Transfer is about 60-80 MB/s, while card is about 250-300 MB/s.

May 11, 2023 at 03:15 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

AcuteShadows wrote:
On my computer, NX Transfer is about 60-80 MB/s, while card is about 250-300 MB/s.

I never said USB was faster. I was trying to help him with a solution that doesn't need a card reader.

May 11, 2023 at 03:16 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
I never said USB was faster. I was trying to help him with a solution that doesn't need a card reader.

I was assuming that user kaplah would get a higher transfer rate by ethernet, so that USB might not be a good substitute. Yet if they are ok with 100-120 MB/s (just guessing) via ethernet, then USB might not make that much of a difference.

May 11, 2023 at 03:47 PM
tobycat2
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

bs kite wrote:

I can't speak for the Z9 with GPS built in, but I had it built in with my Olympus TG-5 and the accuracy was pretty bad. I mean, I am used to sub-meter accuracy in my line of work, but the camera GPS was rather disappointing. Maybe a phone would actually be better?

May 11, 2023 at 04:48 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

tobycat2 wrote:
I can't speak for the Z9 with GPS built in, but I had it built in with my Olympus TG-5 and the accuracy was pretty bad. I mean, I am used to sub-meter accuracy in my line of work, but the camera GPS was rather disappointing. Maybe a phone would actually be better?

I use built-in on the Z9, or Snapbridge (which has worked fine for me), or if multiple bodies then a GPS app that creates GPX tracklogs. Back at lightroom they get married up to photos based on time, the the handy Jeffrey Friedl's “Geoencoding Support” Plugin. Easy.

So I like the built-in, but it consumes battery too and I might do a mobile phone tracklog just to remove that concern.

And, all else being equal, I'll be picking up a Z8 when it's on firmware n + 1 or 2 and prices have come down . I see it as an excellent spare to the Z9.

PS: the phone is faster than the Z9 to get a lock, and will do so in weaker signal conditions. So that's a phone advantage too. But you aren't going to get sub-metre accuracy from a phone or any other non-dedicated device.

May 11, 2023 at 05:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

tobycat2 wrote:

for its use under open sky access conditions its good enough. no, its not a total station with 1" accuracy nor does it need to be. it does a pretty good job for what it is. i have never been a fan of them integrated and if needed i have it available for a much higher level of precision and turn off the integrated one. on the Z9 it at least supports GPS, GLONASS and QZSS. as to your phone without support from the towers it's no better than the camera

Edited on May 12, 2023 at 04:50 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2023 at 05:12 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

$3999 new right now is not in the budget for me, but that's about where I expected it to fall. Likely sign me up for one of these in 18-24 months once used prices reach $3k or a little less.

I love my Z6 for hiking/landscapes, the size/mass is great for carrying, but if I'm going somewhere that's got faster moving things to shoot, I'd enjoy the faster performance that the Z8/Z9 bring. And the shutter for lens changes will be nice.

Like Scott and many others, I find my pinky doesn't fit on the body of a Z6, and that's probably my biggest difficulty with longer use of that camera. My D700 (and looks like Z8) grip is a better hand fit for me.

May 11, 2023 at 05:36 PM
RobArtLyn

p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
Granger has always given me major creep vibes, and when he pulled out his bondage ropes in his Z8 photoshoot, I cringed so hard.

The poor execution of the karada is the real cringe inducer.

May 11, 2023 at 07:12 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Everythingis1 wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the vast majority of this tech is wasted if it can't auto-focus as well as the 6 year old A7R III?

Yes you are... The Z9 is so far ahead of the A7RIII in AF that it is not even close.

May 11, 2023 at 08:07 PM
atnpro
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Let's wait and see how soon some Z8 will show up in the B&S board.

May 11, 2023 at 08:18 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.