Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              68       69       end

Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Fpessolano wrote:
Considering the price for a z9, a reader is truly peanuts though.

Traveling with just a USB cable for downloading images, and charging is so much better that having to bring both a reader, and a charger. I can use the same cable I bring anyway for my phone. I can charge in a car, or anywhere that has USB connections, which is almost everywhere these days. I like to keep things simple and lite these days.

May 10, 2023 at 11:30 AM
IlyaSnopchenko
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
I just bought a 2nd Delkin Black CFE, so I don't want to talk about this right now

You have my full sympathy!

Fpessolano wrote:
Considering the price for a z9, a reader is truly peanuts though.

Yeah, I'll get it... eventually. Still bites that my SD cards are not very useful right now, unless I'm taking two cameras (and my 1D Mark IV, now relegated to backup mostly, thankfully uses SD).

May 10, 2023 at 11:35 AM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I'm mixed on the SD card slot...

My Leica M10-P uses them as do my Z bodies other than the Z9, all my drones via the micro SD to SD adapter and my new 16" MacBook Pro has the slot which is *super* nice.

I think I am selling my Z6II and Z7II though with the Z8 on order, the workflow and performance of the Z9 in not to mention the sensor shutter in a compact package is just too good to pass up.

Edited on May 10, 2023 at 11:59 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2023 at 11:52 AM
Fpessolano
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

It is the way it is. Especially with electronics.

May 10, 2023 at 11:54 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Definitely the guy putting the camera through the paces the hardest I've seen so far, lots of nice details about battery life in extreme conditions. Also some nice details on HEIF and HDR. The HDR photos are truely impressive, yet of course, they'll only shine on HDR screens.

Definitely appears to be a camera you can drag across the globe and have it just work.

May 10, 2023 at 11:56 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

May 10, 2023 at 12:08 PM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Interesting reviews, lots of great beta on the first one, my kind of subject matter for sure. On the second one the size difference between the Z7II and the Z8 is much bigger than I would have thought and is giving me pause in selling the Z7II even though it is a dust magnet.

May 10, 2023 at 12:50 PM
RickPJ
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

The people at Nikon's marketing department must be in hand-wringing mode about now.

They release a wonderful camera, competitively priced, with all the latest gizmos and what do the Nikon users on one of the most prestigious and influential photography websites in creation talk about? Cards. Stuck on cards. Just cards.

Sigh.

May 10, 2023 at 01:15 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

If you donít understand the negative implications of this particular implementation on a high-performance body, you should do some research and catch up to the conversation.

That said, I havenít seen a single poster say itís going to prevent them from a possible purchase, handwringing canceled.

RickPJ wrote:
The people at Nikon's marketing department must be in hand-wringing mode about now.

They release a wonderful camera, competitively priced, with all the latest gizmos and what do the Nikon users on one of the most prestigious and influential photography websites in creation talk about? Cards. Stuck on cards. Just cards.

Sigh.

May 10, 2023 at 01:19 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Nikon was clever in the way that they presented the models next to each other, they did not have flush bottom plates, making the Z8 look smaller in comparison than it really should have.

My pinky did not fit on the Z7ii. Iíve been paying close attention to peoplesí hands in these videos, and it looks like that problem is solved without the need for an add on plate. This slightly larger body is welcomedÖthe Z9 grip is so much more comfortable than the Z7ii.

Ai_Print wrote:
Interesting reviews, lots of great beta on the first one, my kind of subject matter for sure. On the second one the size difference between the Z7II and the Z8 is much bigger than I would have thought and is giving me pause in selling the Z7II even though it is a dust magnet.

May 10, 2023 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BPsmith511
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
Definitely the guy putting the camera through the paces the hardest I've seen so far, lots of nice details about battery life in extreme conditions. Also some nice details on HEIF and HDR. The HDR photos are truely impressive, yet of course, they'll only shine on HDR screens.

Definitely appears to be a camera you can drag across the globe and have it just work.

Morton has one too - haven't watched yet but he generally is rough and tumble with gear as well:

May 10, 2023 at 01:44 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
That said, I havenít seen a single poster say itís going to prevent them from a possible purchase, handwringing canceled.

The second I saw that, I turned the release video off. No longer interested.

May 10, 2023 at 01:53 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Fair. There's zero barrier to entry for a D850 shooter to move to MILC with this setup, which was clearly Nikon's strategy.

May 10, 2023 at 02:09 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
Fair. There's zero barrier to entry for a D850 shooter to move to MILC with this setup, which was clearly Nikon's strategy.

Hopefully a lot of used D850s in good condition on the used market soon

But the Z8 does look amazing. A bit too heavy for my liking but it makes sense to have a chunkier option in the lineup

May 10, 2023 at 02:36 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

fjablo wrote:
Hopefully a lot of used D850s in good condition on the used market soon

But the Z8 does look amazing. A bit too heavy for my liking but it makes sense to have a chunkier option in the lineup

Looks downright light to me after dragging a Z9 through the mountains on my chest!

May 10, 2023 at 02:44 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I am going to guess that even if market segmentation werenít a consideration, 2 CFExpress type B slots would stress the power budget of the camera too much. They didnít release a new battery with this camera, and the current battery is clearly barely hanging on for dear life in the Z8. CFExpress Type B use upwards of 5 watts when running at full tilt.

May 10, 2023 at 03:16 PM
ronno
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Looks like the AF is not great.

Skip to the 13:00 mark here:

https://youtu.be/Ux3Z8piSl3k

May 10, 2023 at 03:37 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ronno wrote:
Looks like the AF is not great.

Skip to the 13:00 mark here:

https://youtu.be/Ux3Z8piSl3k

May 10, 2023 at 03:44 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

SoÖ no Zf?

May 10, 2023 at 04:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

IlyaSnopchenko wrote:
Would've been nice if Z9 had one CFE slot and one SD like this one. It would've saved me a lot of irritation (and expense...)

RoamingScott wrote:
I just bought a 2nd Delkin Black CFE, so I don't want to talk about this right now

SD is small and fiddly, not to mention relatively slow. I'd rather have all CFe and I only have 8 of the Blacks.

EBH

May 10, 2023 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.