Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              68       69       end

Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RickPJ wrote:
The people at Nikon's marketing department must be in hand-wringing mode about now.

They release a wonderful camera, competitively priced, with all the latest gizmos and what do the Nikon users on one of the most prestigious and influential photography websites in creation talk about? Cards. Stuck on cards. Just cards.

Sigh.

There are plenty of people that don't like the pro bodies due to the size and weight and probably don't care about the cards. OTOH, I don't care about the cards too much because I only use the CFe slot. 2x CFe would be nice though.

EBH

May 10, 2023 at 04:28 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Do the Sony XQD cards work with the CFE slot still?

May 10, 2023 at 04:42 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

urbanwild wrote:
Do the Sony XQD cards work with the CFE slot still?

They should, yes. CFE is backwards compatible with XQD. You can use XQD cards in the Z9.

May 10, 2023 at 05:05 PM
Fpessolano
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Yes they work ... but I would suggest getting CFE

May 10, 2023 at 05:38 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Fpessolano wrote:
Yes they work ... but I would suggest getting CFE

I recommend sending all XQD and slow CFE cards to me, freew. They are too slow for Z8&9. PM me for instructions.

May 10, 2023 at 06:06 PM
DanielJStein
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Looks awesome. I am curious to see how the stacked sensor performs for astrophotography. I was never interested in the Z9 due to the size, but the Z8 is much more hiking friendly.

May 10, 2023 at 06:41 PM
RickPJ
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Nikon gave us voice annotation. That is a boon for PJs. Maybe with the grip I might get one to at least try. I One thing is clear. This will put a big dent in Z9 sales. I figure that a Z9 with this as a second body may be a decent option. But then the Z6II is a great second body now.

@roamingscott. It is not necessary to insult people to make a point. Work on it.

May 10, 2023 at 06:52 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Looks fantastic. The problem for me is that I have solid use cases for my Z9 and donít really need a second version. I plan to keep my D5 for now along with my Z50 for small and casual.
Iíve been feeling that the only time I donít like hauling the Z9 is landscapes which I am beginning to do more frequently so I may just wait for the Z7 prices to bottom out and snag a low mileage one as a landscape camera. Then I can sit back watching the evolution and see where I will slide in. The Z8 may certainly be in my future though. It looks like a winner.

May 10, 2023 at 06:52 PM
ahinesdesign
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Having a Z9, I'm not particularly tempted by the Z8. I appreciate the Z9's much larger battery and dual CFE slots over the size reduction (and I have a Z50 if I really want to travel light). If the Z8 had been available 6 months ago when I purchased my Z9, I probably would have chosen it instead... but it's not worth the hassle to switch now just for a bit smaller form factor.

I am pleased that Nikon finally produced the Z8, as so many have been asking for such a camera since the Z9 hit the scene. If nothing else, we can finally put an end to the Z8 speculation threads and move on to arguing about other things...

Now, if Nikon makes a Z8-like body with a 24mp stacked sensor, my Z9 will be on the Buy & Sell page in a nanosecond!

May 10, 2023 at 07:58 PM
KarmaKramer
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Nice new camera, but arenít they all!

May 10, 2023 at 09:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LostLensCap
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I WANT ONE. Time to start selling off some of my extra bass guitars.

May 10, 2023 at 09:45 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RickPJ wrote:
(...) One thing is clear. This will put a big dent in Z9 sales. (...)

This is reminiscent of the D3 / D700 situation. It was the D700 that first got me into Nikon and I subsequently spent a considerable amount on Nikon gear. With me, at least, the Nikon marketing strategy worked very well for them.

I reckon they have done the right thing to capture those who were contemplating an upgrade without forcing them to buy into a whole new card system on day one. New lens purchases will follow too, to get the best out of the new camera.

May 10, 2023 at 10:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RickPJ wrote:
(...) One thing is clear. This will put a big dent in Z9 sales. (...)

Alan321 wrote:
This is reminiscent of the D3 / D700 situation. It was the D700 that first got me into Nikon and I subsequently spent a considerable amount on Nikon gear. With me, at least, the Nikon marketing strategy worked very well for them.

I reckon they have done the right thing to capture those who were contemplating an upgrade without forcing them to buy into a whole new card system on day one. New lens purchases will follow too, to get the best out of the new camera.

I suppose the question is how many fewer Z9s Nikon will sell. Back then we could buy a D3X which was better than both the D3 and D700. Where is the D9X or D8X?

I really doubt the cards are the main issue since XQD has been around for plenty of years and CFe is not as expensive as it was a couple of years ago. People on tighter budgets will be getting Z6II or Z7II bodies.

EBH

May 10, 2023 at 11:16 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Nice.. but not the camera most Nikon users were waiting for. They release a mini Z9 that few wanted, while most were waiting for a Z6 III. The Z8 has the same hand me down monitor and EVF. Not sure why Nikon put so much into this camera when the market for it is far smaller than the Z6, R6, A7IV market which is majority of Nikons sales.

May 11, 2023 at 12:32 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ArizonaImage wrote:
Nice.. but not the camera most Nikon users were waiting for. They release a mini Z9 that few wanted, while most were waiting for a Z6 III. The Z8 has the same hand me down monitor and EVF. Not sure why Nikon put so much into this camera when the market for it is far smaller than the Z6, R6, A7IV market which is majority of Nikons sales.

I have not figures concerning what the market demands. For sure, I don't need 46 Mpix and if I were a full-time pro I'd rather prefer the Z9 for its significantly longer battery life. Personally I prefer a lighter Z6 III body with 30 Mpix BSI stacked sensor and same AF as Z9. Anyway, independently of the above considerations, the Z8 is a nice camera.

May 11, 2023 at 12:43 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ArizonaImage wrote:

I was trying to figure out the market segment for the Z8 as well. Looks like a great camera with a crippled battery.

Just acquired a Z9 so I am back to Nikon again.

May 11, 2023 at 12:55 AM
urbanwild
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

CanadaMark wrote:
They should, yes. CFE is backwards compatible with XQD. You can use XQD cards in the Z9.

Thanks

May 11, 2023 at 01:42 AM
pingflood
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

EltonTeng wrote:
I was trying to figure out the market segment for the Z8 as well. Looks like a great camera with a crippled battery.

Just acquired a Z9 so I am back to Nikon again.

I'm just a hobbyist but the Z8 definitely is the right one for me. I burn through maybe half a Z9 battery on a birding outing so with the Z8 I can just toss a spare in the pocket and be fine. I think people are vastly overreacting on the battery thing, it's 55% less than the Z9 but reading some forums it sounds like people think it's more like 90%.

Holding 400g less when shooting for hours is a big deal to me though.

May 11, 2023 at 01:42 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Great camera, I'll be getting another Z9 at some time though. Big mistake with the grip taking the smaller battery, unlike the D500 and D850 grips that use the big battery. Bodies without a grip just don't work for me.

May 11, 2023 at 01:49 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I suppose I will wait a bit longer for a reinvented D3s. Might have to be the next iteration of the Z6 -- F bayonet option not likely to happen.

May 11, 2023 at 02:07 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.