Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              67              69       end

Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Alistair1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.68 #1 · p.68 #1 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

https://youtu.be/jX7JHpnKIj0

An interesting review from a Canon shooter. He seems to like the Z8.

Aug 07, 2023 at 02:20 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.68 #2 · p.68 #2 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisories-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-8-cameras.html

Looks like another service advisory for the strap lugs. Bummer, but they are doing right by customers I guess by fixing it.

Aug 07, 2023 at 02:35 AM
BPsmith511
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.68 #3 · p.68 #3 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Alistair1 wrote:
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisories-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-8-cameras.html

Looks like another service advisory for the strap lugs. Bummer, but they are doing right by customers I guess by fixing it.

Can't wait for half the internet to be outraged and bash Nikon for needing two service recalls this early into the camera's release (which, to be fair, is not that great and a PITA for some), the same half that would be mad if Nikon weren't repairing them very fast.

Aug 07, 2023 at 03:50 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.68 #4 · p.68 #4 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

BPsmith511 wrote:
Can't wait for half the internet to be outraged and bash Nikon for needing two service recalls this early into the camera's release (which, to be fair, is not that great and a PITA for some), the same half that would be mad if Nikon weren't repairing them very fast.

As an ex-D500+500PF user, I really admire Nikon engineering, but in the case of the Z8, I find Nikon is letting things slip in a bad way. The Z8 is not a flagship, but it is still a 4600,- body. One can find excuses for most everything, but I think the Z8 is a moment for Nikon to pause and take a good look at their design/manufacturing standards. A strap lug separating from the body under stress is not a triviality, it may cause great damage to camera and lens.

Aug 07, 2023 at 05:00 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.68 #5 · p.68 #5 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ChrisMak wrote:
As an ex-D500+500PF user, I really admire Nikon engineering, but in the case of the Z8, I find Nikon is letting things slip in a bad way. The Z8 is not a flagship, but it is still a 4600,- body. One can find excuses for most everything, but I think the Z8 is a moment for Nikon to pause and take a good look at their design/manufacturing standards.

+1. They are dropping the ball badly. It's not even like strap lugs are a new thing introduced in the Z8, neither is the mount. I can only speculate that their cost-cutting has gone too far and perhaps they've lost some important designers.

They've been here in the past. Lessons should have been learned.

Aug 07, 2023 at 05:05 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.68 #6 · p.68 #6 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

SiMuMe wrote:
+1. They are dropping the ball badly. It's not even like strap lugs are a new thing introduced in the Z8, neither is the mount. I can only speculate that their cost-cutting has gone too far and perhaps they've lost some important designers.

In 2011 they were hit by an earthquake, tsunami and flooding that destroyed much of their factory infrastructure as well as their subcontractors' infrastructure. Tens of thousands of people lost their homes. In 2012 they had quality problems in some of their camera models, no doubt as a result of these events. What I think is curious how unforgiving some customers are to difficulties resulting from the natural disasters.

This time they didn't have a natural disaster but lost much of their business, consolidated their factories to reduce costs, and now are starting to pick up sales again and are rebuilding. Again same thing: you build from scratch, the quality isn't quite up to par initially.

I find it difficult to see how designers had anything to do with bad of mount parts or strap eyelet assembly. These are likely mostly manufacturing quality control problems, not design.

I think the Z8 is extremely high quality in its design actually, there are very few functional problems in its use and it has many elegant improvements compared to past cameras. For example being able to swap batteries in the MB-N12 without losing camera power is great. The rareness of out-of-focus images across different subject matter and circumstances is also amazing. It's also the first Nikon camera that I've owned that really functions very well as a video camera with no compromises.

Although my Z8 is included in the serial number range for both service advisories, it doesn't actually have either of these problems and the strap eyelets do not come off even if pulled quite hard, and the lenses mount correctly every time. Likely only a small fraction of the cameras have these problems out of the very broad range of serial numbers that might have these problems. Nikon are likely just playing it safe and checking all the cameras that were of early manufacture to catch the problems before the user might run into them.

Aug 07, 2023 at 05:41 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.68 #7 · p.68 #7 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Okay, I could perhaps have been unnecessarily harsh there. I'm biased as they burnt us Nikon 1 owners with clear design issues.

- Manufacturing just about all lenses with plastic gears that result in widespread aperture failures. Replacing said gears with same plastic gears instead of metal ones. Not a question of if but when a Nikon 1 lens will fail. I've had a few.
- Designing and shipping a very expensive lens with a ribbon cable that is prone to failure(CX 70-300mm).

I am comfortable if Z8 users are sensible about it and based on the service bulletins, I sure hope it is limited to the ranges of serial number given. For Nikon's sake, I hope when they release the next camera(s) people are still happy to rush to buy them and these episodes are history.

Aug 07, 2023 at 06:19 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.68 #8 · p.68 #8 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

SiMuMe wrote:
- Manufacturing just about all lenses with plastic gears that result in widespread aperture failures. Replacing said gears with same plastic gears instead of metal ones. Not a question of if but when a Nikon 1 lens will fail. I've had a few.
- Designing and shipping a very expensive lens with a ribbon cable that is prone to failure(CX 70-300mm).

I'm sorry to hear that; I had not been aware that Nikon 1 series lenses had such issues.

I do hope they can improve their quality control.

Aug 07, 2023 at 06:26 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.68 #9 · p.68 #9 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Luckily, my z8, which I shipped to Nikon (for the bayonet mount service recall) on July 20th and delivered to them on July 25th, is still showing status = Shop.

Hopefully they keep it there a few more weeks and fix all the service recall issues, including strap lug and whatever else comes up.

Aug 07, 2023 at 06:39 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.68 #10 · p.68 #10 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Well, I just received mine from Nikon a few days ago, and there we go, it's going back to them, my s/n is affected with lug issue.
This will make me to rethink this whole story with Nikon, considering how my 400f4.5 was sloppy in my previous camera, z7II.
The lens was sent to Nikon by my dealer, Nikon said, it was normal. It wasn't to me, then I put a piece of masking tape on camera mount to one side, to stiffen it.
I think, Nikon has some serious QC issues, probably some design issues too, particularly these z8 lugs.

P.S. Do I sound angry, yes, I do. What adds to it, I get a chance to shoot a diving Osprey once in a blue moon, and it happened for days ago
Guess what, I had 10-12 shot sequence only one shot in focus. Camera grabbed either grass in the background or water.
I used custom wide area 13 by 7.
One of the reasons why I spent extra money over z7II, but I failed on first attempt.
I may need to wait for another one for couple of years, or more. It doesn't happen quite often in the area I hang mostly.

Aug 07, 2023 at 06:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.68 #11 · p.68 #11 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ilkka_nissila wrote:
In 2011 they were hit by an earthquake, tsunami and flooding that destroyed much of their factory infrastructure as well as their subcontractors' infrastructure. Tens of thousands of people lost their homes. In 2012 they had quality problems in some of their camera models, no doubt as a result of these events. What I think is curious how unforgiving some customers are to difficulties resulting from the natural disasters.

This time they didn't have a natural disaster but lost much of their business, consolidated their factories to reduce costs, and now are starting to pick up sales again and are rebuilding.
...Show more

My understanding on the lug issue is that it can have the retaining pin fall out after repeated use, and then the lugs just pull out.

Aug 07, 2023 at 07:58 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.68 #12 · p.68 #12 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

What are the options/suggestions for a soft case or half case for the camera body?

This half case would prevent scratches and I personally like the look.

I googled "half cases for Nikon Z8" (my camera but this could be any brand/model). The link is too long to post here.

Aug 08, 2023 at 07:45 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.68 #13 · p.68 #13 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Figured I'd just post an update...swapped my Z8 back for a Z9...while the Z8 is definitely more portable, the Z9 is the ultimate do-everything swiss army knife of a camera and I was shocked at how much I missed it. It inspires ultimate confidence. I was definitely impressed that the Z8 had 99% of the same functionality in a far more compact body though, anyone who has bought one should enjoy it for years.

Sep 30, 2023 at 01:00 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.68 #14 · p.68 #14 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

SiMuMe wrote:

I think you are a bit premature in your perception of the Z8 issues and their long term impact. The Z8 issues have been frustrating but only time will determine if they are an indication of any bigger problems. If the Z8 continues to sell well and there aren't any new or ongoing problems, the mount and strap lug issues will be considered relatively minor. This is especially true when you consider how Nikon has handled the service advisories. I had a trip in September so I waited to send mine in for the strap lug issue. I am probably 1000 miles from NY and the whole process took about a week and I got my sensor cleaned.

But yes if there are new Z8 issues or if other new cameras have major issues then you could be right.

Sep 30, 2023 at 01:21 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.68 #15 · p.68 #15 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
Figured I'd just post an update...swapped my Z8 back for a Z9...while the Z8 is definitely more portable, the Z9 is the ultimate do-everything swiss army knife of a camera and I was shocked at how much I missed it. It inspires ultimate confidence. I was definitely impressed that the Z8 had 99% of the same functionality in a far more compact body though, anyone who has bought one should enjoy it for years.

While the Z8 shares much of the internal goodness of a Z9, the Z9 has a more solid feel. There is no question that the Z9 is worth the premium if you do not object to the extra mass... I have both, but prefer the Z9 to my Z8.

RE... Z8 issues... well mine has a "double recall" and I have yet to send it in. My lenses continue to mount correctly and I do not use lens straps. I'll eventually send it in for the repair, but don't feel as if I need to do this.
My bag is set w/ the Z9 married to the 800PF, the Z8 married to the 400 f4.5, and a Z6II that can mount to either the 17-28 or 70-180... the Z6II is my landscape/macro/video camera, while the Z9/Z8 are my wildlife bodies.

bruce

Sep 30, 2023 at 01:21 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.68 #16 · p.68 #16 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Alistair1 wrote:
https://youtu.be/jX7JHpnKIj0

An interesting review from a Canon shooter. He seems to like the Z8.

Thanks for posting that link, some straight-talk pro/con user-experience with the Z8.

FWIW, I spent some time at the Nikon booth at the BILD Expo last month with the 180-600 and was thoroughly impressed with the subject-detection AF system, it would be quite an upgrade for me with my Panasonic S1/Sigma 150-600 DN combo for my birding/wildlife jaunts! Ha!

Plus it does internal N-RAW 8K HDR?! Just in time for next year's total solar eclipse!

Oct 01, 2023 at 04:43 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.68 #17 · p.68 #17 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

OwlsEyes wrote:
My bag is set w/ the Z9 married to the 800PF, the Z8 married to the 400 f4.5, and a Z6II that can mount to either the 17-28 or 70-180... the Z6II is my landscape/macro/video camera, while the Z9/Z8 are my wildlife bodies.

That's very interesting: you use Z8 & Z9 for photographic genres that require fast AF & tracking capabilities. For other genres (e.g., macro & landscape) 24 Mpix are enough

Oct 01, 2023 at 05:25 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.68 #18 · p.68 #18 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Ripolini wrote:
That's very interesting: you use Z8 & Z9 for photographic genres that require fast AF & tracking capabilities. For other genres (e.g., macro & landscape) 24 Mpix are enough

While I'll admit that some of this decision is budget related and the Z7II might be the better option for landscape photography, I have found that the additional dynamic range in the Z6 series has allowed me to make landscapes that have better tonal gradations than the higher megapixel cameras. I have yet to print a landscape wider than 32" (I use a 17" wide printer at home), and can't see any image degradation or reduction of detail in my Z6 outputs. Finally, I meandered through the Z6, Z7, Z6II, and Z7II models until I bought my Z9. I stopped using the "older" bodies because the Z9 was so good. My last non Z9/Z8 was a Z6II and I reluctantly sold it to buy the Z8.
About three weeks ago my local shop had a bunch of used Z6II's for sale and I asked them what their best price would be for one... they came back with $1050 (US) for a low mileage clean body. I thought the price was more than reasonable and I decided to buy it.
To be clear, if I were going on a landscape specific trip and planned to leave my long lenses home, the Z8 would become my primary body, as I recognize that the resolution does matter. However, if I'm headed out to do wildlife photography, the Z6 is available for some serendipitous detail studies and unexpected landscape opportunities.

regards,
bruce

Oct 01, 2023 at 06:38 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.68 #19 · p.68 #19 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

OwlsEyes wrote:
... I have found that the additional dynamic range in the Z6 series has allowed me to make landscapes that have better tonal gradations than the higher megapixel cameras...
.... if I were going on a landscape specific trip and planned to leave my long lenses home, the Z8 would become my primary body, as I recognize that the resolution does matter.

So, assuming that the additional dynamic range in the BSI 24 Mpix sensors (Z6, Z6 II, D780, Zf) does allow taking landscapes with better tonal gradations, if you were going on a landscape specific trip, you'd prefer 37% [100x(8256-6048)/6048] more resolution to better tonal gradations. Is it correct?

Regards,

Riccardo

Oct 01, 2023 at 07:31 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.68 #20 · p.68 #20 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Ripolini wrote:
So, assuming that the additional dynamic range in the BSI 24 Mpix sensors (Z6, Z6 II, D780, Zf) does allow taking landscapes with better tonal gradations, if you were going on a landscape specific trip, you'd prefer 37% [100x(8256-6048)/6048] more resolution to better tonal gradations. Is it correct?

Regards,

Riccardo

How much of the apparent increase in dynamic range is from the slight noise (but also detail) reduction caused by the anti-aliasing filter on the 24mp sensors? I think the Z7 II would be the happy medium in terms of detail and dynamic range for landscapes.

Oct 01, 2023 at 10:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.