FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       6       end

New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
I recall you bringing up the problems with Kevlar, and a mutual acquaintance having similar issues. Consequently, I am hesitant to consider purchasing the 'Reporter" body although I'm still intrigued by the Safari special edition.
It is disheartening to learn that Leica has decided to discontinue the production of black-chrome on brass. Can you confirm if this is indeed the case? If so, it reinforces my resolve to never part ways with my M10-R!

Yep, I love the Black Chrome finish on my M10-P. I also love the quality feel of the all brass body on that camera. If course neither of those are currently available on a black M11. I ended up with a silver M11 to get the all brass body, and then put a straight all black skin on the top section. I didn't use the skin over the leatherette section because I like the stock texture better. I use a leather 1/2 case on both so they both look, feel, and handle pretty much the same, except for the improvement inj ergo on the M11.

Bonus is that my M11 should look new its whole life.

Apr 13, 2023 at 06:03 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
I recall you bringing up the problems with Kevlar, and a mutual acquaintance having similar issues. Consequently, I am hesitant to consider purchasing such the 'Reporter" although I'm still intrigued by the Safari special edition.
It is disheartening to learn that Leica has decided to discontinue the production of black-chrome on brass. Can you confirm if this is indeed the case? If so, it reinforces my resolve to never part ways with my M10-R!

The SL2-S Reporter cladding has held up better. The M10-P Reporter with its removable base plate exposed the edge of the material to fraying much more quickly.

I like the Safari concept a lot, but I much prefer the Reporter's matte black accents versus the silver accents on the Safari. Currently I have a 28 Cron Safari on the SL2-S Reporter, and it looks pretty good.

I think the black chrome being discontinued was first mentioned in early reviews of the M11. And there is this post:

Apr 13, 2023 at 06:04 PM
nonick
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
The older 50/1.4 Lux allowed for focusing using either the "tab" or "focus ring grooves", but it appears that the new version only permits focusing through the tab.

Good observation! Thank you! this is a deal breaker! For fast lens when focus wide open, it is easier to achieve precise focus adjustment using the "focus ring grooves" indeed. Tab is very useful for fast focus by "feel"/ "distant estimation". It's a shame the new one lost it. Anyway, I dont see I need upgrade as the image quality is not going to be much different if the optical formula of the versions are the same.

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:37 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

nonick wrote:
Good observation! Thank you! this is a deal breaker! For fast lens when focus wide open, it is easier to achieve precise focus adjustment using the "focus ring grooves" indeed. Tab is very useful for fast focus by "feel"/ "distant estimation". It's a shame the new one lost it. Anyway, I dont see I need upgrade as the image quality is not going to be much different if the optical formula of the versions are the same.

If you go back to page 3, post#5 you'll see the new 50 Asph. is not quite the same optical design. But I'm also likely to stick with my current 50 Asph. V1 because the MTF chart is not that different overall. In addition I'm distracted with the 35 FLE II to replace my 35/2.4 Summarit ;-)

Apr 14, 2023 at 05:00 AM
nonick
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

goodbokeh wrote:
If you go back to page 3, post#5 you'll see the new 50 Asph. is not quite the same optical design. But I'm also likely to stick with my current 50 Asph. V1 because the MTF chart is not that different overall. In addition I'm distracted with the 35 FLE II to replace my 35/2.4 Summarit ;-)

Thank you for the info. I now see the minor change of the edge of the elements there. But the overall optical formula seems the same. As you said the MTF chart is not that different overall. So I want to know the IQ impact/improvement in real world is noticeable, if any.

Apr 14, 2023 at 09:14 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Pre-order the new Leica M11M and Leica 50/1.4 Lux (2023) at B&H Photo:

Leica 50/1.4 Lux (2023)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1760459-REG/leica_summilux_m_50mm_f_1_4_asph.html

Leica M11-M
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1760461-REG/leica_m11_monochrom_rangefinder_camera.html

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

According to Leica's specifications, there are some interesting differences between the two versions of the Leica 50/1.4 Lux. The newly released 50mm f/1.4 Summilux is slightly bigger, measuring 5.8mm longer and 5.1mm wider, and weighs 2g more than the previous version.
Additionally, the angle of view has been adjusted in the 2023 version, resulting in a narrower perspective of 45.4°, as opposed to the 47° angle of view in the previous version.

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:53 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
The concern regarding the new version is that the difference in performance between the center and mid is now even more significant. This implies that it may be even more noticeable in actual images.

Eyeballing quickly It’s about 2% MTF 50 worse at around 12mm. Hopefully for you Leica guys, that’s not visible!

Apr 15, 2023 at 04:48 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

I jumped over the fence and am glad I did. The grass is greener over here. Wow, what a camera.

If you want to, one will never have to see colors with this camera again because now with the EVF all views are in B&W. This means that unlike with the M11 one does not need to bother with jpegs set to B&W in order to see B&W through the EVF.

A truly better experience. I understand those not wanting to use EVF's, but it is needed for use with new close focus lenses under 0.7 meters and has a bit of IBIS when using it too.

The new metering combined with better DR makes this my favorite choice for a Monochrom even after having every other iteration of Leica Monochrom's.

Apr 20, 2023 at 07:49 AM
astrobuoy
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Are there any reviews out yet of the new Summilux?

Apr 25, 2023 at 08:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

The new Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux (2023 version in silver) is now in stock at B&H Photo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1760460-REG/leica_summilux_m_50mm_f_1_4_asph.html

Apr 25, 2023 at 07:37 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
The new Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux (2023 version in silver) is now in stock at B&H Photo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1760460-REG/leica_summilux_m_50mm_f_1_4_asph.html

I saw that earlier. Gone already. I've seen the new 50 and the 35 popping up fairly regularly here and there – wonder if that's due to increased production or just that most people are ok with their 0.7m versions (or both).

Apr 25, 2023 at 10:08 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

I got the new 50mm 1.4 today... I did a couple quick comparisons using minimal focus distance and 0.7m focus distance wide open.. I basically used my body to move the camera into focus and used the EVF for both. Minimal PS exposure changes equal for both 0.4 and 0.7 distance. The image of the tree trunk images added +15 clarity. For the branch arm focused on the big indentation

© mark1958 2023

Apr 26, 2023 at 06:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

mark1958 wrote:
I got the new 50mm 1.4 today... I did a couple quick comparisons using minimal focus distance and 0.7m focus distance wide open.. I basically used my body to move the camera into focus and used the EVF for both. Minimal PS exposure changes equal for both 0.4 and 0.7 distance. The image of the tree trunk images added +15 clarity. For the branch arm focused on the big indentation

Congratulations Mark on getting a new lens! That sounds really exciting and I can't wait to see some of the photos you take with it.

Apr 26, 2023 at 06:45 PM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

mark1958 wrote:

Nice...Congrats! So, what are your thoughts?

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:41 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

HI .. Matt
I got the lens yesterday afternoon and traveling for the next few days. I brought the camera and lens with me so when I have a chance will try to take some pictures. I want to compare it to my two 50mm Voigt lenses but that will have to wait until next week.
So far I like the lens. Creamy bokeh and does not seem to have too much in terms of fringing in high contrast lighting. One thing I really like and absent from some of the Voigt lenses -- is when you move to close focusing range where the RF focusing does not work-- there is a click so you know you have to go to the EVF or back LCD to focus. Also the hood twists to lock much better design. Focusing at >0.7m with RF is also quite easy with the focus ring. Wide open decent sharpness but from 1.4 to 1.7 sharpness improves and looks like reaches max by 2.8 or maybe 4 but dont hold me to that.. yet.

Matt Kerby wrote:
Nice...Congrats! So, what are your thoughts?

Apr 27, 2023 at 02:20 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

That sounds right. You'll notice sharpness/contrast will jump a fair amount from wide open through ~f/2.8. It's not that the lens is soft wide open. It's still sharp, but with a hint of SA to smooth out fine details. If the MTF is to be believed, the optical tweak for this version means it's a touch sharper on-axis than the original from wide open but jumps even more in sharpness/contrast by f/2.8. One aspect of the Lux ASPH v1 that keeps me using it is very good LoCA control compared to most other fast 50s, as you've noted. Karbe considered it a 'stealth' APO design. Apparently it could have been marketed as APO but for some reason Leica didn't.

How do you find focusing it closer than 70cm considering that the focusing tab by that point is in an odd location? Are you finding the smooth focusing ring provides enough grip?

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:48 PM
inks

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Handheld focusing at 1.5 feet is quite the challenge. The depth of focus is paper thin and the background is obliterated.

May 01, 2023 at 11:15 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Yes. for me the focusing ring is smooth and I have small fingers so not an issue with grip.

rscheffler wrote:
That sounds right. You'll notice sharpness/contrast will jump a fair amount from wide open through ~f/2.8. It's not that the lens is soft wide open. It's still sharp, but with a hint of SA to smooth out fine details. If the MTF is to be believed, the optical tweak for this version means it's a touch sharper on-axis than the original from wide open but jumps even more in sharpness/contrast by f/2.8. One aspect of the Lux ASPH v1 that keeps me using it is very good LoCA control compared to most other fast 50s, as you've noted. Karbe considered
...Show more

May 01, 2023 at 01:35 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Agree and for the tests I showed, I move the focus ring to min focusing distance and slowly moved my body to get a specific region in focus.. Hard to get the exact spot each time but doable

inks wrote:
Handheld focusing at 1.5 feet is quite the challenge. The depth of focus is paper thin and the background is obliterated.

May 01, 2023 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.