Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
9
       10              12       13       end
  

Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review

  
 
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


nehemiahphoto wrote:
Does the 75/1.5 cover the entire GFX image circle at portrait distance? I know my 75 Lux didn't--died with hard vignetting between the FF and MF zone. My little Sonnetar 73 covered it well, and without that much additional vignetting even.


It covers to the edges but not to the corners, so it's usable with vignette correction and mild crop:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608503/29#15842179



Apr 24, 2023 at 10:45 PM
nehemiahphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
It covers to the edges but not to the corners, so it's usable with vignette correction and mild crop:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608503/29#15842179


Look similar, marginally better than the 75 Lux. Not unexpected. Here's an example for some--effect on bokeh from a modded sensor versus a Sony stock sensor at typical portrait distance and at near distance. Not really affected at all IMO.





Stock WO







Modded WO







Stock WO #2







Modded WO #2




Apr 24, 2023 at 10:54 PM
ashwinrao1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


M11 Monochrom and Voigt 75mm f/1.9 MC. Tonal range and OOF is quite nice. There's a nice glow close up which should make this really great for portraiture, and focus/oof separation seems to transition nicely. Out of focus does not seem distracting, but there's character there. I love the size and build. It's a sturdy, elegant lens with the same finish as the M11 Mono's matte chrome black finish



































Apr 24, 2023 at 11:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
It covers to the edges but not to the corners, so it's usable with vignette correction and mild crop:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608503/29#15842179


It's almost like shooting with the Leica 50/1 Noct in terms of vignetting.



Apr 25, 2023 at 10:21 AM
teh_rebel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


ashwinrao1 wrote:
M11 Monochrom and Voigt 75mm f/1.9 MC. Tonal range and OOF is quite nice. There's a nice glow close up which should make this really great for portraiture, and focus/oof separation seems to transition nicely. Out of focus does not seem distracting, but there's character there. I love the size and build. It's a sturdy, elegant lens with the same finish as the M11 Mono's matte chrome black finish



Love that 2nd shot. Great pop, very 3d ish



Apr 27, 2023 at 10:19 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Great match with the M6 Love the small size of this lens.







Apr 28, 2023 at 05:04 PM
tzhang.wk
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Out of curiosity, for folks who are also using this lens on Sony FE, is the optical quality of this lens comparable to the Loxia 85mm? Also, any frustrations coming from the usage of the CV on a non-native camera?

Both are priced very close new at where I am and I have been looking for a manual short-tele with nice defined sunstars. Have to say Juhaís photo album taken with this lens + A7c looks really good!



Apr 28, 2023 at 08:18 PM
Juha Kannisto
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


tzhang.wk wrote:
Out of curiosity, for folks who are also using this lens on Sony FE, is the optical quality of this lens comparable to the Loxia 85mm? Also, any frustrations coming from the usage of the CV on a non-native camera?

Both are priced very close new at where I am and I have been looking for a manual short-tele with nice defined sunstars. Have to say Juhaís photo album taken with this lens + A7c looks really good!


I can't compare to Loxia 85mm since I never owned that lens. The 594g weight and much bigger size of the Loxia (+ the very long hood) meant that I never considered the Loxia since I much prefer my lenses to be smaller and lighter whenever possible.

Anyhow, for me the 75/1.9 works really well on my A7C and I haven't noticed any drawbacks of using it on a non-native camera so far. I don't own any Leica cameras so can't compare the performance on my Sony to those by myself. I prefer it to the 75/1.5 Nokton and I traded my Nokton away last weekend.



Apr 30, 2023 at 06:59 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


A few more around the house





f/2.8 infinity

  LEICA SL2-S    Unknown Lens lens    75mm    f/3.4    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  







f/1.9

  LEICA SL2-S    Unknown Lens lens    75mm    f/1.7    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  







f/1.9

  LEICA SL2-S    Unknown Lens lens    75mm    f/2.4    1/500s    100 ISO    -3.0 EV  







f/1.9

  LEICA SL2-S    Unknown Lens lens    75mm    f/4.0    1/320s    100 ISO    -0.6 EV  







close focus (not a crop)

  LEICA SL2-S    Unknown Lens lens    75mm    f/4.0    1/125s    160 ISO    +0.3 EV  




Apr 30, 2023 at 09:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


B&H Photo finally listed the new Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron on their site but it's still out of stock:

Multi-coated | Single-coated



May 01, 2023 at 04:56 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


f/1.9 at infinity




  LEICA SL2-S    Unknown Lens lens    75mm    f/0.9    1/2500s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  




May 02, 2023 at 07:34 PM
itai195
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Getting my copy of this and the 28 ultron tomorrow, can't wait!


May 02, 2023 at 07:40 PM
devilbond
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


astrobuoy wrote:
Got some photos back on film with the 75mm f/1.9. Shot on Kodak Vision3 500T (dev'd in ECN2 chems at a lab here in NYC) on my Leica M7, with an 85B filter.


THANK YOU for uploading some film samples, Astrobuoy!
I only have an M6 so looking at digital pics doesn't quite give me a sense of how these lenses resolve on film.

Very excited to order one of these now.
Is your lens the single or multi coated version?

Also, I'm in NYC too. What lab did you use?

Cheers!



May 03, 2023 at 09:27 AM
astrobuoy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


devilbond wrote:
THANK YOU for uploading some film samples, Astrobuoy!
I only have an M6 so looking at digital pics doesn't quite give me a sense of how these lenses resolve on film.

Very excited to order one of these now.
Is your lens the single or multi coated version?

Also, I'm in NYC too. What lab did you use?



Thank you! I agree, I shoot mostly film and some digital, but I find some lenses render differently on one versus the other. Mine is the multi-coated version.

Oh sweet! I use NYC Film Lab in Bushwick for ECN-2. They process in genuine ECN-2 chems (they used to use Kodak developer but have switched recently to QWD, which is a powder-based dev. It was my first time trying it. Results weren't bad! I've also considered using a place in Maryland called Colorlab, a motion-picture film processing lab that also allows for stills film processing on the side. I believe they use genuine Kodak chems, but I haven't tried them yet). My main lab though is Northeast Photographic in Maine. Highly recommended. They did try a beta test of processing ECN-2 film but they had issues with mixing the QWD chems they were using.



May 03, 2023 at 09:48 AM
devilbond
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Nice one. I've heard good things about the Bushwick Film Lab.
I've only used Bleeker Digital on Kenmare and Color House on Lafayette but looking to shop around a bit.
I'm in Crown Heights so Bushwick sounds appealing!

Thanks again.



May 03, 2023 at 10:02 AM
astrobuoy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


devilbond wrote:
Nice one. I've heard good things about the Bushwick Film Lab.
I've only used Bleeker Digital on Kenmare and Color House on Lafayette but looking to shop around a bit.
I'm in Crown Heights so Bushwick sounds appealing!



I used to use Bleeker until the pandemic hit and forced me to mail stuff in. A friend of mine swears by Exposure Therapy in Bed-Stuy, which is probably even closer to you.



May 03, 2023 at 10:13 AM
mard22
Online

Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


I am torn between this and the voigt 90mm apo 2.8. I know they are 2 totally different focal lengths, but has anybody compared the 2?


May 04, 2023 at 07:35 PM
tri_fin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review




mard22 wrote:
I am torn between this and the voigt 90mm apo 2.8. I know they are 2 totally different focal lengths, but has anybody compared the 2?


I have both and am trying to compare the two for my own use. Iíve had the 90/2.8 for a while but only received the 75/1.9 a couple of days ago.

The 90 is obviously longer giving more compression. It is also sharp from wide open whereas the 75 is a bit soft wide open (glow?).

I had planned to only keep one but right now I am thinking that the 75 is like a long 50 for portraits or objects whereas the 90 is better at picking out details from a vast scene.

What is important to you in a lens? Let me know and Iíll try and tell you which is better. For example I think the 90 is less flare prone - I had a bit of veiling flare yesterday with the 75.

I think you need to decide on the focal length you want. They are both great lenses but different rather than better or worse than each other so I think it depends on what you want to do with itÖ.



May 05, 2023 at 08:46 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


mard22 wrote:
I am torn between this and the voigt 90mm apo 2.8. I know they are 2 totally different focal lengths, but has anybody compared the 2?


tri_fin wrote:
What is important to you in a lens? Let me know and Iíll try and tell you which is better.


I'm curious how much of a difference there is between the two in respect to wide aperture purple fringing in high contrast image areas and 'bokeh fringing' (magenta edges around OOF high contrast areas in front of the plane of focus and green edges for OOF high contrast areas behind the plane of focus). I just re-read the 90's review thread and didn't see sample images illustrating bokeh fringing control. It's covered for the 75 earlier in this thread here. TBH, I feel like this is a general Voigtlander weakness unless it's an APO design.




May 05, 2023 at 09:58 AM
astrobuoy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


I have the 90/2.8 as well as the 75/1.9, but haven't compared them yet. Though I thought the 90 was an APO lens?


May 05, 2023 at 10:05 AM
1       2       3              8      
9
       10              12       13       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
9
       10              12       13       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.