Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
11
       12       13       end
  

Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review

  
 
KarmaKramer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Probably didnt need the preset with that lens in that light.

highdesertmesa wrote:
CV 75 1.9 MC -|- SL2-S -|- Mastin Labs Natura 1600




Jun 06, 2023 at 05:40 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


KarmaKramer wrote:
Probably didnt need the preset with that lens in that light.



Not a big fan of the unadjusted RAW images with the default profiles in C1/LR for BSI sensor cameras. The images look too much like Fujifilm Eterna. Preset is just a starting point and/or a time saver.



Jun 06, 2023 at 06:06 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


A couple from the weekend. Need to get the rest processed.

















Jun 06, 2023 at 07:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


nehemiahphoto wrote:
A couple from the weekend. Need to get the rest processed.


Voigt 75/1.9 or MS Optics 73/1.5? Which one is your favorite?



Jul 03, 2023 at 08:41 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Voigt 75/1.9 or MS Optics 73/1.5? Which one is your favorite?


Very different lenses, but easily the Sonnetar despite itís harder to use optically and operationally And I do like them both.

I donít find them to have much overlap in actual usage for my preferences.

I am not sure if you have tried the 75/1.9, but I actually find it a natural compliment with the 35 Lux FLE or CV 35/2 Ultron which I find appreciably smaller than the ZM 35/1.4 or CV 35/1.2. It's has a bit of character in the draw like the FLE (in a good way) for my preferences, and it's smaller but is still thoroughly modern.

I also prefer the colors/contrasts of the CV 75/1.9 to some other modern CV lenses. The 75/1.5 has has a smoother, more abstracted draw closer to some others and is larger--goes better with the ZM 35/1.4 and CV 35/1.2iii size and rendering wise a bit more really.



Jul 03, 2023 at 12:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


nehemiahphoto wrote:

Very different lenses, but easily the Sonnetar despite itís harder to use optically and operationally And I do like them both.
I donít find them to have much overlap in actual usage for my preferences.


I agree that these lenses provide distinct characteristics and create unique visual results. I must say that I thoroughly enjoy the samples you shared from the Sonnetar lens.

I am not sure if you have tried the 75/1.9, but I actually find it a natural compliment with the 35 Lux FLE or CV 35/2 Ultron which I find appreciably smaller than the ZM 35/1.4 or CV 35/1.2. It's has a bit of character in the draw like the FLE (in a good way) for my preferences, and it's smaller but is still thoroughly modern.

Certainly, I have indeed tested the CV 75/1.9 lens. As a matter of fact, I was the one who wrote the review in this discussion thread. Undoubtedly, the CV 35/2 Ultron or Leica 35/1.4 FLE lenses exhibit a similar aesthetic to the CV 75/1.9 lens, although I believe the rendering of the latter is slightly more modern.

I also prefer the colors/contrasts of the CV 75/1.9 to some other modern CV lenses. The 75/1.5 has has a smoother, more abstracted draw closer to some others and is larger--goes better with the ZM 35/1.4 and CV 35/1.2iii size and rendering wise a bit more really.

I have a personal preference for the rendering of the CV 75/1.9 Ultron lens compared to the smoother CV 75/1.5 lens. In my opinion, the Sonnetar lens shares more similarities with the CV 35/1.4 Nokton or Leica 35/1.4 pre-asph lenses than any other 35mm lens. Currently, I am in Japan and I plan to look for the 73/1.5 lens and acquire it if I come across it.



Jul 03, 2023 at 11:11 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
I agree that these lenses provide distinct characteristics and create unique visual results. I must say that I thoroughly enjoy the samples you shared from the Sonnetar lens.

Certainly, I have indeed tested the CV 75/1.9 lens. As a matter of fact, I was the one who wrote the review in this discussion thread. Undoubtedly, the CV 35/2 Ultron or Leica 35/1.4 FLE lenses exhibit a similar aesthetic to the CV 75/1.9 lens, although I believe the rendering of the latter is slightly more modern.

I have a personal preference for the rendering of the CV 75/1.9 Ultron lens compared
...Show more

lolol

I am a total space hogó I completely forgot this thread was even a review thread and therefore youíve owned the lens obviously, I was just posting images and responding to your question 😅

And I agree with you on all other account as well. I love my 35 Lux pre-asph and Sonnetar combo. But my CV 35/2 and 75/1.9 get a lot of run too. Sadly, my modded a7r2 is dying, so that's putting a damper on things. At least on the 35mm front for the CV 35/2.

I actually sold my 35 Lux FLE to Steve, but I miss it more than I thought I would, and I might buy another.



Jul 03, 2023 at 11:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


nehemiahphoto wrote:
lolol

I am a total space hogó I completely forgot this thread was even a review thread and therefore youíve owned the lens obviously, I was just posting images and responding to your question 😅

And I agree with you on all other account as well. I love my 35 Lux pre-asph and Sonnetar combo. But my CV 35/2 and 75/1.9 get a lot of run too. Sadly, my modded a7r2 is dying, so that's putting a damper on things. At least on the 35mm front for the CV 35/2.

I actually sold my 35 Lux FLE to Steve, but I miss it
...Show more

I feel the CV 35/2 Ultron is a mini-35-lux-FLE in terms of rendering so you may not be missing too much if you don't need the f/1.4 aperture. I posted some samples comparing their rendering in the CV 35/1.5 Nokton review.



Jul 04, 2023 at 01:52 AM
formula4speed
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


How frustrating do you all think using this would be for someone who is new to shooting a rangefinder?

I recently acquired an M240 and have been shooting exclusively with the CV 35mm f/1.7 because it's the only M mount lens I own. I'm considering adding a short telephoto to the mix eventually, and given my budget this would be high on the list of potential options.



Jul 04, 2023 at 12:37 PM
bjhurley
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


formula4speed wrote:
How frustrating do you all think using this would be for someone who is new to shooting a rangefinder?

I recently acquired an M240 and have been shooting exclusively with the CV 35mm f/1.7 because it's the only M mount lens I own. I'm considering adding a short telephoto to the mix eventually, and given my budget this would be high on the list of potential options.


I think the only concerns would be the short focus throw and the focus shift.

If you're focusing with the rangefinder you might find the short focus throw a little frustrating at times. I'm only speaking from my experience using the 35/2.5 Color-Skopar LTM on my film rangefinder camera, where just the slightest nudge will push the image out of focus. I prefer using a lens with a longer focus throw on a rangefinder, even if it takes more time to change focus from near subject to far and vice versa. A short focus throw is useful for street photography and documentary photography, but this lens will probably be used more for other things.

Fred's review reports that this lens has focus shift (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1801660/1#shift). Your M240 has live view, so focus shift issues can be avoided by using that, but if you're used to focusing using the rangefinder you'll have to bear this in mind.



Jul 04, 2023 at 12:50 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
I feel the CV 35/2 Ultron is a mini-35-lux-FLE in terms of rendering so you may not be missing too much if you don't need the f/1.4 aperture. I posted some samples comparing their rendering in the CV 35/1.5 Nokton review.


Yes, very much agree on the Mini-FLE take. I participated on the 35/1.5 thread, but I didn't gel with that lens so I kept my 35/2 ultron.

I did find the FLE to have higher micro-contrast centrally, even WO, and much preferred colors over the CV 35/2 Ultron, so files have a lot of lovely pop. I find the CV 35/2 to have much better flare resistance and I don't worry about axial CA correction.



Jul 04, 2023 at 01:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review



Back to Quick Links

Performance at Infinity: Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron vs MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar







          They are similar in size but the Sonnetar is about 90 grams lighter. (1/3 less)



When focused at infinity, the Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 lens exhibited superior sharpness and contrast compared to the MS Optics 73/1.5 Sonnetar lens. However, the Sonnetar lens showed commendable performance when stopped down. Despite this, the Ultron lens outperformed both by a significant margin. It's worth noting that the Sonnetar lens, weighing just 200 grams and featuring fewer elements and corrections, may not be the typical choice for landscape photography. Nevertheless, considering its compactness and optical characteristics, it can be reasonably well-regarded.

Here is the full image thumbnail showing the area demonstrated at 1:1 magnification.








  1. Distance: Infinity
  2. Camera: Leica M10-R
  3. Focus: Center - Best of three @ 12.4x magnification
  4. WB: Daylight
  5. Lens centered using my decentering test. The Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron is perfectly centered.
  6. Software: Lightroom with my default landscape sharpening. All other settings set to default
PS: Distortion is not corrected. All in-camera corrections turned 'off'.

___________


Center resolution
Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron vs MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar





Center at f/2







Center at f/2.8







Center at f/4







Center at f/5.6







Center at f/8




Jul 13, 2023 at 10:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Mid-frame resolution
Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron vs MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar





Center at f/2







Center at f/2.8







Center at f/4







Center at f/5.6







Center at f/8




Jul 13, 2023 at 10:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Corner resolution
Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron vs MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar





Center at f/2







Center at f/2.8







Center at f/4







Center at f/5.6







Center at f/8




Jul 13, 2023 at 10:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Tomorrow I will post a comparison between the Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron vs Leica 75mm f/1.4 Summilux at infinity. You thought this review had ended?


Jul 13, 2023 at 10:24 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Tomorrow I will post a comparison between the Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron vs Leica 75mm f/1.4 Summilux at infinity. You thought this review had ended?


That will be interesting.

I saw you focus shift test. Would you say the focus shift on the 75/1.9 is the same, worse or better than the focus shift on the 75/1.5 (I had your old copy, actually) in how much it effects your real world shooting?



Jul 13, 2023 at 11:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


RustyBug wrote:
That will be interesting.

I saw you focus shift test. Would you say the focus shift on the 75/1.9 is the same, worse or better than the focus shift on the 75/1.5 (I had your old copy, actually) in how much it effects your real world shooting?


To be honest I don't remember how the 75/1.5 Nokton performed in regards to focus shift but I'm sure there is some as there is plenty spherical aberration wide open.
Wow, you ended up with my copy? Don't sell it! I remember going to at least 3 of them to find an optimal copy for the review.



Jul 13, 2023 at 11:28 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
To be honest I don't remember how the 75/1.5 Nokton performed in regards to focus shift but I'm sure there is some as there is plenty spherical aberration wide open.
Wow, you ended up with my copy? Don't sell it! I remember going to at least 3 of them to find an optimal copy for the review.


Understood, thanks. Gotcha at 3 copies of the Voigt, to get the best one.
I'm quite sure, that was part of why I picked up your copy.



Jul 14, 2023 at 09:17 AM
ReleaseDrive
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Would anyone here who owns this...say the bokeh is better than the Sony 85mm 1.8? I know it's an odd comparison. I have a whole set of voigtlanders and I just need a 75mm to complete the set. I use the voig's on multiple bodies and they are my favorite.

I can't stand the 85mm 1.8's bokeh. I also absolutely love 75mm.



Jul 14, 2023 at 10:55 AM
ashwinrao1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review


Some 75 mm portraits mainly at f1.9 to focus on head and shoulder, about 0.7m (since I was using the RF to focus)
































Jul 15, 2023 at 11:26 AM
1       2       3              10      
11
       12       13       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
11
       12       13       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.