FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10              12       end

Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Tonzah78 wrote:
Sounds really good. I've only used 75mm Color-Heliar in past and I miss that lens (regret selling it a bit). Although it was only f/2.5 and had one more adapter in between (L39-LM). I think this new Ultron could be the perfect replacement. I love this FL and close-focusing is really nice addition. Have you used the 28mm Ultron with your A9 or A7C by any chance? In Fred's tests it seemed to suffer on Sony in corners, but he used the high megapixel A7IV body. I was wondering if that one was okay too with 24Mp bodies... Not
...Show more

I have the Ultron 28/2 VM II as well and I've used it on my A7C and also on my Sigma fp. I didn't use it on my A9 as I had already moved to A7C as my primary walk-around camera by the time I got the lens and now I use my A9 only as an event shooter with AF lenses. I think it works well enough on these 24MP bodies for stopped down infinity shots by f5.6 and I have no problem using it, but there's certainly some level of sensor stack related "field curvature" going on and it's best to focus at mid-field to balance it out etc. I don't think it's bad on my A7C and it seems to do better than my other rangefinder 28mm lenses. Still, would be great to have a native version that was fully optimized for Sony E at this focal length.

Some samples taken with the Ultron 28/2 VM II on my A7C, mostly at wide open and at f5.6:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7kJZkPhkSoRjQobs8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9xVVd3nRvGPpL9k88
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jgJQU37jk792YNkK9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9vVhDaUywzixLUyv6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2qMfs4qjK9QFQoiw8

Some samples with that same lens on my Sigma fp, again mostly wide open and at f5.6:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U8z3RAudpo6VHL6Q6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uNaT7uhY5cDHYnzQ8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4SPkqAwJq7zx91oS7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vRACWLfuPW8C58SA8

Mar 03, 2023 at 01:47 AM
phinix
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I have the Ultron 28/2 VM II as well and I've used it on my A7C and also on my Sigma fp. I didn't use it on my A9 as I had already moved to A7C as my primary walk-around camera by the time I got the lens and now I use my A9 only as an event shooter with AF lenses. I think it works well enough on these 24MP bodies for stopped down infinity shots by f5.6 and I have no problem using it, but there's certainly some level of sensor stack related "field curvature" going on
...Show more

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Are these SOOC, or did you do some post processing?
I was always wondering, why there are so many cables above the streets in Japan? I saw so many photos from whole Japan area and in the cities there are always so many power cable poles and loads of cables above the streets.

Mar 03, 2023 at 04:43 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

phinix wrote:
Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Are these SOOC, or did you do some post processing?
I was always wondering, why there are so many cables above the streets in Japan? I saw so many photos from whole Japan area and in the cities there are always so many power cable poles and loads of cables above the streets.

Thanks!

The 5th (last) album on the A7C section is SOOC JPEGs, the others have had some PP done (mostly just used my favorite preset in C1 Pro and exported from Raw). The Sigma fp photos were processed in-camera only by applying some of Sigma's color profiles and Sigma's auto/strong tone curve. The 2nd Sigma fp album looks like it was taken with Sigma's standard color profile. Additionally I used my own color-shading compensation profiles in-camera on the Sigma fp shots while shooting. Especially with WA lenses, fp is more prone to blueish color shading at the edges and toward the corners and I typically create 2 profiles for each lens to compensate against it (I use Expodisc to create those, utilizing Sigma's lens color shading compensation feature, one profile for stopped down infinity shots and another for wide open close range shots).

This article talks about the power cables, I think it explains it better than I could:
https://japantoday.com/category/features/lifestyle/why-does-japan-have-so-many-overhead-power-lines

Mar 03, 2023 at 04:55 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

@Tonzah78

I checked a little bit about how much the helicoid adapter helps with CV 75/1.9. According to Cosina's helicoid adapter focusing distance table included in their 2023 product catalog, Ultron 75/1.9 can focus to 43 cm with the CV VM-E close focus adapter v2 instead of the usual 50 cm so the impact on minimum focus distance is not huge with this lens. Impact is always bigger with wider angle lenses. I think the difference between v1 and v2 adapters on minimum focusing distance is also quite small here.

A couple of quick shots where I focused as closely as possible on some small objects. Firstly an E-mount camera cap and secondly a Nintendo Amiibo (from my son's collection). I used my Rayqual adapter with no helicoid, then my CV VM-E close focus adapter v1 with full extension, and then the v2:

Mar 03, 2023 at 05:27 AM
phinix
• • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Thanks!

The 5th (last) album on the A7C section is SOOC JPEGs, the others have had some PP done (mostly just used my favorite preset in C1 Pro and exported from Raw). The Sigma fp photos were processed in-camera only by applying some of Sigma's color profiles and Sigma's auto/strong tone curve. The 2nd Sigma fp album looks like it was taken with Sigma's standard color profile. Additionally I used my own color-shading compensation profiles in-camera on the Sigma fp shots while shooting. Especially with WA lenses, fp is more prone to blueish color shading at the edges and toward
...Show more

I see, thanks.
Would you mind sharing what preset it is? I wonder if I could find it for Lightroom.

Mar 03, 2023 at 06:11 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

phinix wrote:
I see, thanks.
Would you mind sharing what preset it is? I wonder if I could find it for Lightroom.

I use C1 Pro and most of the time their Beyond Film presets and particularly K-100 preset. It has a Kodak fllm inspired look which I like. I think I used that one on these A7C shots as well (at least for the most part) although I don't remember exactly.

Those are specifically made for C1 and sold by C1 directly so I think the same ones are not available for Lightroom.

Mar 03, 2023 at 06:28 AM
Tonzah78
• •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Thanks Juha! It really seems the closeup adapter isn't that needed with this lens. I think this lens could really fill my need for a closeup lens as well. Renders really lovely images with smooth bokeh and good sharpness falloff. (I would love to shoot my tabletop miniatures and terrain that I build and paint).

Mar 03, 2023 at 08:56 AM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I have the Ultron 28/2 VM II as well and I've used it on my A7C and also on my Sigma fp. I didn't use it on my A9 as I had already moved to A7C as my primary walk-around camera by the time I got the lens and now I use my A9 only as an event shooter with AF lenses. I think it works well enough on these 24MP bodies for stopped down infinity shots by f5.6 and I have no problem using it, but there's certainly some level of sensor stack related "field curvature" going on
...Show more

really nice samples. i do see some nice 3d effect on some of the photos, reminisce of my old zeiss lens i used to have. now i want one lol

Mar 03, 2023 at 11:30 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

freaklikeme wrote:
Accurate, but I was trying not to eliminate all hope.

I was shooting with a buddy this weekend, taking a photo of him with my AF 85/1.8D and telling him I was looking forward to a size and weight reduction with this lens. I hit the shutter release and I hear a little "drrnng" noise come from the lens, and that's when I lost aperture control. I'm guessing I lost a spring in the control assembly given the noise, but it felt very much like the lens was making a last ditch effort to avoid replacement. "You can't get rid of
...Show more

You are much kinder and appreciate than I am. I would take that as a death knell and portent to get a new lens lol

Mar 03, 2023 at 10:34 PM
Tonzah78
• •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

The close focus capability is the main reason for me, why I'm so interested of this 75mm Ultron. The small (tiny!) size is a big plus of course. Almost as tiny as the f/2.5 Color-Skopar which I loved. I'm amazed that they could make it so small. Since the 75mm Nokton was released I've been wanting it, but since I also own and use the Sigma 85 Art I haven't really felt the need to get one. A lens this small and having the ability to focus real close makes it really fill a different role that I can justify. Would love it as my go-to lens for trips in nature. I also like the screw-in hood in this one.

Mar 07, 2023 at 01:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

choijm0715

p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

I'm dizzy because I haven't heard anything about a global release date lol.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Cameraquest informed me the first batch is in transit to the store.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:26 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Cosina needs to stop making lenses that I end up wanting!

Do you hear me Cosina? You are dangerous!

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:46 AM
choijm0715

p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

We finally have an official sale date of March 21 in South Korea. I wonder what other countries will be like?

Mar 13, 2023 at 02:35 AM
Tonzah78
• •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

I was told "in april" from a seller in Finland.

Mar 13, 2023 at 02:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Today, I received two versions of the new CV 75/1.9 Ultron: one is MC and the other is SC. Once the rain lets up here, I will start my review.

Mar 23, 2023 at 05:02 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Today, I received two versions of the new CV 75/1.9 Ultron: one is MC and the other is SC. Once the rain lets up here, I will start my review.

Awesome. I chose the MC simply for the matte black finish.

When you do the comparisons, would you mind doing one where you compare the MC vs SC but with reducing the contrast on the MC in post to try and match the SC? Then vice-versa, increasing contrast in post on the SC to try to match the MC? Wondering which version is more capable of mimicking the other.

Mar 23, 2023 at 06:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

highdesertmesa wrote:
Awesome. I chose the MC simply for the matte black finish.

When you do the comparisons, would you mind doing one where you compare the MC vs SC but with reducing the contrast on the MC in post to try and match the SC? Then vice-versa, increasing contrast in post on the SC to try to match the MC? Wondering which version is more capable of mimicking the other.

Certainly, I'll give it a try. Previous tests have shown that the differences between these two coating versions are subtle under normal light conditions and can only be observed under strong backlighting. The main difference is veiling flare resistance.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:56 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Certainly, I'll give it a try. Previous tests have shown that the differences between these two coating versions are subtle under normal light conditions and can only be observed under strong backlighting. The main difference is veiling flare resistance.

Ah yes, now I remember > I think it was your 50 1.5 II review thread, when there were shots posted where I preferred the SC, it was usually when shooting into the light. The veiling flare was adding some nice character with the SC version.

My MC copy should be here tomorrow. I wish they had offered the SC in matte black as well.

Mar 24, 2023 at 05:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

highdesertmesa wrote:
Ah yes, now I remember > I think it was your 50 1.5 II review thread, when there were shots posted where I preferred the SC, it was usually when shooting into the light. The veiling flare was adding some nice character with the SC version.

My MC copy should be here tomorrow. I wish they had offered the SC in matte black as well.

Having completed the infinity resolution/contrast test, I must say that this lens has surpassed my expectations in terms of sharpness and micro-contrast, even when used wide open, for those who value such qualities.

Another good news is that both my MC and SC copies are well centered.

Mar 24, 2023 at 06:39 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.