FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              11       12       end

Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can't think of any but Cosina likes to confuse us with all their lenses' nomenclature.
Most of their "Ultron" lenses are modern designs and at the same time part of Cosina's "Vintage Line" for their styling.

I wonder if the new 75/1.9 Ultron will join the Vintage Line.

I think one of their nomenclature rules for using Nokton naming is that the lens is f1.5 or faster and Ultron is used in the >f1.5 and up to f2 range. And Heliar naming is more about the optical design and rules of Skopar and Lanthar naming are less clear to me. Skopars are usually slower than f2 and Lanthars are usually APO but of course they also have 1 APO-Skopar.

I think the ones that are characterized as character lenses have classic in their name and they are not specifically tied to any other naming convention. There are only few examples, e.g. 35/1.4 Nokton classic and 50/1.5 Heliar classic, and 50/2 Heliar classic (I have all 3), so it's difficult to say whether or not they would use classic designation with any of the other types but I suppose they could Oh yeah, I forgot that 75/1.8 was also a Heliar classic. I never had or used that lens.

I guess 75/1.9 might not be classified as part of Vintage Line since 75/1.5 is part of Vintage line (might not make sense to have multiple similar lens options at same FL as part of Vintage line) and the original rumor didn't include Vintage Line in the product names although it is part of the lens name usually (when applicable).

The rumor also didn't mention classic in any of the lens names so I think 75/1.9 would likely not be designed as a character lens.

According to the rumor all 4 new releases (75/1.9 MC and SC, Z-mount 50/1, Z-mount 15/4.5) would be getting officially announced within January so we should find out all the details then. I suppose the announcement might already happen very soon as usual rumors about CV lenses from Nokishita always arrived just a few days before official announcement (after all Japanese distributors had received information on the lenses).

Edited on Jan 13, 2023 at 12:35 AM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:53 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can't think of any but Cosina likes to confuse us with all their lenses' nomenclature.
Most of their "Ultron" lenses are modern designs and at the same time part of Cosina's "Vintage Line" for their styling.

I wonder if the new 75/1.9 Ultron will join the Vintage Line.

That seems very likely, vintage appearance but modern performance.

The naming that confused me the most recent,y was the APO skopar; usually these days the APO prefix means state of the art at Cosina. But while it may well have been APO (had pretty low LoCA) it seems otherwise optically while very food, neither deliberately under corrected for character nor state of the art. I suppose compactness was the USP.

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:56 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Because Cosina is offering the single coated option, should we assume it's more like a character lens?

Maybe aesthetic character like their other vintage line lenses. The Nokton 50/1.5 II is available in both SC and MC but optically is modern. I'm guessing the 75/1.9 will be similar and probably also a member of the vintage line. This might even mean a focusing tab, but not holding my breath. But who knows... it could end up being part of the classic line.

I could see this 75/1.9 pairing with the recent 35/1.5 as a two-lens kit.

Jan 13, 2023 at 02:07 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

1bwana1 wrote:
I believe you are correct Fred. As I understand it, like Leica's naming system the Voigtllander naming system is about lens speed not quality or other characteristics.

Not exactly. Usually Nokton is f/1.5 for faster. Ultron is f/1.7 to f/2.0, and f/2.5 or slower is Skopar or Heliar. Note that even at f/2.5 and slower we get two labels and not one. And the difference in which label is applied does seem to be based on lens design. Then f/2 and sometime f/2.5 APO lenses are Lanthars and that is at least partly based on lens design as well and it seems with these being the lenses with most exotic elements and the best performance. Note that the 90 f/2.8 APO Skopar doesn't have the Lanthar label, so Lanthar doesn't just mean APO. Then we have other lenses like the 50 f/1.5 Heliar classic (note this is a fast lens, but has what is typically a slow lens label and is definitely a character lens that only comes with single coated lens coatings) and the name seems to be based on lens design and not speed.

Then we have the addition of classic to a label which is basically synonymous with a character lens and vintage to a label which tells us about the cosmetics of the exterior of the lens but not about lens design.

Suffice it to say CV uses lens labels in lots of ways and not simply to designate lens speed as Leica does not to designate lens design as Zeiss mostly does.

What this means for the 75 f/1.9 ultron is hard to tell, but we might get more clues when we get a real lens release with the official name and not just a rumor. If it is a 75 f/1.9 Ultron in the classic line we can expect a character lens like the 35 f/1.4 II Nokton 40 f/1.4 Nokton in the classic line that also comes in SC and MC versions. I expect with the official announcement this lens will be in the classic line and will be a character lenses, but we will have to wait for the official announcement to see if that guess pans out. So far all the lenses with SC and MC versions have been in the classic line and character lens and this would add nicely to the 35 f/1.4 (now in the second version), the 40 f/1.4; and 50 f/1.5 Heliar (even though this one only comes in a SC version).

Edit: Until I read Richard's post just above I missed that the 50 f/1.5 Nokton II comes in both SC and MC and isn't a character lens or in the classic line, so that certainly adds to the intrigue. This lens could be a similar type of lens with more modern rendering and not in the classic line but still with SC and MC versions.

Jan 13, 2023 at 02:19 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

All the previous CV lens leaks from the same source indicated the full lens names and whether it was part of Vintage Line or not and since there's none of that in the new leak I assume this 75/1.9 might not be part of Vintage Line, but we'll have to wait and see the official announcement I guess. It didn't happen today, perhaps tomorrow or next week.

Jan 13, 2023 at 02:55 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

If it doesn't join the vintage or classic lines then it will join the 'regular' lenses like the 21/1.4, 35/1.2, 40/1.2, 50/1, 50/1.2, which are all modern designs.

I'm hoping no chrome filter ring.

-"Richard"

Jan 13, 2023 at 03:12 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

rscheffler wrote:
If it doesn't join the vintage or classic lines then it will join the 'regular' lenses like the 21/1.4, 35/1.2, 40/1.2, 50/1, 50/1.2, which are all modern designs.

I'm hoping no chrome filter ring.

-"Richard"

Yes, even if it joins Vintage Line after all I think it will be modern design optically. The 75/1.8 Heliar classic was a "character" lens at the same focal length already and I think they would not be trying to repeat that concept again now (just in smaller size).

Jan 13, 2023 at 03:39 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Pretty sure this will be a Vintage Line lens. They have the 75mm Nokton but that is still designed like the 'old' vintage line lenses like the old 50mm f1.5 Nokton and the 35mm f/1.7 Ultron. I'd expect the new lens to be similar to the other more recent vintage line lenses.

I was actually hoping for a 75mm f/2.5 with a 39mm filter thread (as an alternative to the 90mm f/2.8). The latter will be difficult at 75mm f/1.9 so more likely a 43mm or 46mm filter.

Jan 13, 2023 at 07:05 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

There's a leaked image of the lens:
https://digicame-info.com/2023/01/ultron-75mm-f19-vm.html

It looks like it may belong to Vintage Line based on the appearence but the text is ambiguous about that.

Jan 14, 2023 at 01:31 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:

It looks like it may belong to Vintage Line based on the appearence but the text is ambiguous about that.

In English below that picture it does say vintage line and good news if the picture is accurate it has a black ring on the front and not a metallic ring. Looks like it will have a screw in hood if you want to use a hood.

Jan 14, 2023 at 01:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Steve Spencer wrote:
In English below that picture it does say vintage line and good news if the picture is accurate it has a black ring on the front and not a metallic ring. Looks like it will have a screw in hood if you want to use a hood.

The text says it looks a bit like Vintage Line design so that's what I meant as ambiguous about whether it actually is part of the line or not.

Jan 14, 2023 at 01:41 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:

Yay! looks like I hoped it would - and matte black as well, matching the 35mm f1.5 type I

Hope the weight will be below 300g but looks like it’s made from aluminium and quite small so chances are high, I think.

Announcement should be next week given the leaks

Jan 14, 2023 at 02:37 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:
The text says it looks a bit like Vintage Line design so that's what I meant as ambiguous about whether it actually is part of the line or not.

Thanks for helping with the translation.

Jan 14, 2023 at 09:29 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:

The shape is very similar to the 50 1.5 II, so I hope that we get a nickel panda version in addition to the black and silver.

Optically, my hope is it performs identically to the 75 1.5 when the 1.5 lens is stopped down to ~f/2.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:04 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

No chrome ring!

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

It looks like it will be quite compact:

Comparison in size to the Voigtlander 50/1.5 II Nokton:

Versus Voigtlander 75/1.5 Nokton

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:26 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

The focusing ring looks like it's from the Zeiss ZM lenses parts bin.

I know many here like the new matte black paint but I'm not so sure about it. I agree with HDM a nickel panda version to accompany the 50/1.5 would be nice. I would be OK with brass construction. Filter size? 46 is probably too small. Maybe 49 or 52?

Jan 14, 2023 at 09:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

rscheffler wrote:
The focusing ring looks like it's from the Zeiss ZM lenses parts bin.

https://www.cosina.co.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/ZM_21_28_01-scaled.jpg

I know many here like the new matte black paint but I'm not so sure about it. I agree with HDM a nickel panda version to accompany the 50/1.5 would be nice. I would be OK with brass construction. Filter size? 46 is probably too small. Maybe 49 or 52?

Wow, good detective work!

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:55 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
It looks like it will be quite compact:

Comparison in size to the Voigtlander 50/1.5 II Nokton:

Thanks for these (!) although both can’t be true at the same time. First one looks like 40-ish mm length whereas the second comparison looks more like 55-60-ish. Cosina makes these really difficult as the angle (and probably focal length) of these shots is not always exactly the same.

Another way of approximating the size could be via the font size of the aperture ring vs the 50mm Nokton - that is assuming they‘re using the same font size on all the new vintage line lenses of course

Edit: Also played around in Photoshop a bit, comparing to the 35mm f1.5 size and my guess is ca 53mm length. Filter size looks like 49mm

Jan 15, 2023 at 03:07 AM
EVIL_guy

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
No chrome ring!

No bayonet hood!

Jan 15, 2023 at 03:56 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.