Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Winter and Alabama Hills

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 11 votes - View Previous Winners

I haven't posted here for a while, so this is my first post this new 2023 year. Happy New Year to everyone, by the way
So, Sierra Nevada (as some of you may know) is getting a lot of snow this year, way more than any other year in the last 10 years. I was there this past weekend and talk to a few snow plow vehicles workers and they said they haven't seen this much snow for at least 10 years. That's great since the range haven't had much snow (specifically) in the last two or three years. But, this year there's a ton already, and this (as well as next) week another serious storms are coming brining even more snow. The area passed Bishop is completely white and chains are required to drive the 395 (unless you have 4x4 and winter tires on). I drove the road as far as Mammoth Mountains to look around for anything inspirational. I wanted to hit the Mono lake but there was just so much snow even around the Hot Creek, I turned back. To walk anywhere you need snow shoes. And, only small parts of side roads are plowed. So, most of the shots below are from Alabama Hills and/or places near by it.
I was really impressed with high winds (up in the mountains) and snow being blown away so most of my shots are zoomed in and taken with my Nikon 100-400mm lens.
If you do go there (and I suggest this coming weekend) stay at Alabama Hills and bring one good telephoto lens with you.

Edited on Jan 09, 2023 at 01:45 PM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2023 at 01:17 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Phenomenal image sets we anticipated from Gregg
Each image delivers its message in great characteristics

Jan 09, 2023 at 01:22 PM
The Rat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winter and Alabama Hills

These are fantastic shots! Very atmospheric and compelling. My favorites are 1, 4 and 5.

Jan 09, 2023 at 01:25 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Thank You all. I added one more image...

Jan 09, 2023 at 03:32 PM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winter and Alabama Hills

What a fantastic time to get up or near the mountains, if you can! Great images, Gregg! The first and 5th images are my favorites. Excellent work!

David

Jan 09, 2023 at 04:52 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Great set ! One of the best that I have seen from this area. So, should we be waiting for your winter ascent of Whitney? :-)

Jan 09, 2023 at 05:04 PM
MTGFender
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Winter and Alabama Hills

WOW! Beautiful images especially 1, 5 and 7.
Thanks for sharing!

Pramote

Jan 09, 2023 at 05:21 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Winter and Alabama Hills

OMG what a beautiful and inspiring work..!!

Marcelo

Jan 09, 2023 at 06:07 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Very nice imaging of that fabulous place. Rt. 395 is closed from Mammoth to Bridgeport now. Probably some nice snow scenes along the way...

Jan 09, 2023 at 08:06 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Gregg, I was just thinking the other about not seeing any post from you in a while. Always enjoy viewing your images. Excellent images and for me #1 is just stunning. Fantastic work as usual 👍🏻

Jan 09, 2023 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Wowzer!

Jan 09, 2023 at 09:20 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Really like #5 but they are all quite impressive. Sure helps to show California is not just L.A. and San Francisco.

Jan 10, 2023 at 04:08 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Fantastic! I will be down there next week, mid week. We've been getting hammered here in Utah as well. Alta already has 344 inches. crazy weather

Jan 10, 2023 at 06:19 PM
mellice

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Very nice shots, congrats. Hopefully this means an amazing Fire Falls and waterfalls in general in spring.

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:18 AM
RichP42

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Very beautiful set of photos! Thanks for sharing
Richard

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:05 PM
oddnokk

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Winter and Alabama Hills

outstanding set of images. i loved the first one. the nearly b&w shots of the mountains and snow are fantastic as well. but i think my favorite might be the icy grass abstract, the detail and patterns in the grasses was expertly composed and photographed. excellent details.

Jan 11, 2023 at 01:39 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Winter and Alabama Hills

That's a lot of comments. Thank you all very much. I see another storm is coming next week on Monday and Tuesday. My friend was at Alabama Hills today and the place is closed due to floods (after heavy rain in the last few days). You can still drive there but all the dirt road is closed off. But there is now snow on the ground, so that's great. I presume after next week's rain/storm the place may be white.
But, due to so many heavy rain days I may hit Death Valley for some reflection shots over at Bad Water. Anyone interested? Also, strong winds should make shooting dunes interesting to say the least.

Jan 11, 2023 at 05:09 PM
Bogino
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Gregg B. wrote:
That's a lot of comments. Thank you all very much. I see another storm is coming next week on Monday and Tuesday. My friend was at Alabama Hills today and the place is closed due to floods (after heavy rain in the last few days). You can still drive there but all the dirt road is closed off. But there is now snow on the ground, so that's great. I presume after next week's rain/storm the place may be white.
But, due to so many heavy rain days I may hit Death Valley for some reflection shots over at
...Show more

I was in that exact area in November. There had been a modest snowfall a week or so before so the mountains were white but mildly so. I was actually able to make it up to the Schulman Grove on a beautiful spectacular blue sky day even though there was snow on White Mountain Road. It was your pictures of the Bristlecones a couple years ago that turned me on to that area and especially the forest. Since then I've been there 5 times. I'm going to wait 3 to 5 weeks for hopefully better road conditions, blue skies but still plenty of snow on the mountains and probably head back to Alabama Hills, Bishop and on into Mammoth. Your photos are inspirational.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:48 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Winter and Alabama Hills

I don't usually go up there for winter scenes, bot I missed the fall foliage up there this year so going during winter might give me a whole new outlook of the Eastern Sierras. I've been in spring, summer, and tons in fall, but never in winter. I woupd wait until the non stop hazardous weather keeps pouring in, but I bet it will be spectacular once the skies clear, though it can get really cold.

Jan 12, 2023 at 07:41 AM
Jim Dockery
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Winter and Alabama Hills

Wonderfull set. Hard to pick a favorite. Many would translate very well to B&W.

Jan 12, 2023 at 09:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password