fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       65              end
  

Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

  
 
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #1 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Seawolf wrote:
The image of the bird in motion is outstanding.


Thank you... I'm trying to do more work like this with the animals I photograph. There are times when I struggle to take a risk for fear missing the "perfect" picture. But much like capturing moving water, vegetation, and clouds, I prefer seeing the motion in the animal subjects that I photograph.

bruce



Aug 11, 2026 at 09:04 PM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #2 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Backlit Great Horned Owl at sunset.

I'm fortunate to have access to a location where GHO's breed. They've been nesting in a state park near me for at least a decade, and there are times when they can be observed and photographed. In addition, the habitat is varied, as they can be seen in pines, oaks, and eucalyptus trees. The post I did earlier in the week was in a pine covered with lace lichen (aka "Old Man's Beard"). In this shot, the owl was perched in a eucalyptus tree. Bored with the standard portrait, I opted to shoot it backlit as the sun was setting... I think it's the bokeh of the amazing 400mm f2.8TC that makes the shot a keeper.

cheers,
bruce







  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.5    1/4000s    3200 ISO    -1.0 EV  




Aug 11, 2026 at 09:09 PM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #3 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


I'm trying to fight against the descent of this thread onto page two

bruce






Elk rut is on at Point Reyes... through first week of October

  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/800s    720 ISO    +0.7 EV  







Hoping for another opportunity with these guys/gals in October

  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.5    1/2500s    6400 ISO    +1.0 EV  







Dreamy Coyote...

  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/5.6    1/26000s    6400 ISO    +0.3 EV  







Buddy (the name I've given this guy) Chill'n on a foggy morning

  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Z TC-2.0x lens    800mm    f/7.1    1/1250s    6400 ISO    +2.0 EV  




Aug 23, 2026 at 07:03 PM
pesto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.66 #4 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Great Series. Buddy looks to be quite a character.

Doug.



Aug 23, 2026 at 07:22 PM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #5 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


pesto wrote:
Great Series. Buddy looks to be quite a character.

Doug.


Thanks Doug,

Yeah this otter has a lot of character. He can be bashful at times, but when there's food in the bay he tends to ignore me.

cheers,
bruce



Aug 24, 2026 at 02:37 PM
George DeCamp
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #6 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Haven't posted any 400TC images in a while so took it out back this morning for a few shots!








  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    3600 ISO    0.0 EV  







Downy Woodpecker

  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    5600 ISO    0.0 EV  







Dragonfly

  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  







Ruby-throated Hummingbird

  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    4500 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 31, 2026 at 10:14 AM
groob
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.66 #7 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


In furtherance of Bruce's attempts to keep this thread on the front page, here's a smattering of new stuff.

_LWG8357-Edit

_LWG8756-Edit-Edit

_LWG6046-Edit

_LWG3955-Edit copy

_LWG2737-Edit-Edit copy

_LWG5457-Edit copy


The compression kills these. Flickr only seems to give me the option of sharing at 1024 pixels. If there is a way to link from Flickr that allows for a larger image, I'd love to know.

Otherwise, a couple of fun notes. The hawk flew out of a tree when I didn't even have my lens up. I just put the camera to my eye and luckily had the bird in the frame. The Z6iii + 400mm S worked some magic to get the bird in focus.

Also, the yellowlegs was shot at 800mm (400mm + 2x TC). That combo allows for extremely fast AF and has sharpness to spare. This new Z gear continues to blow my mind.

Edited on Sep 12, 2026 at 02:25 PM · View previous versions



Sep 12, 2026 at 09:12 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

mivadep
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.66 #8 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Flickr limits you to 1024 pixels if you're using the free plan. You can go higher resolution if you pay.


Sep 12, 2026 at 09:19 AM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #9 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


groob wrote:
In furtherance of Bruce's attempts to keep this thread on the front page, here's a smattering of new stuff.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55524015565_6ea8f988d0_b.jpg_LWG8357-Edit

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55522611442_d0fc4628eb_b.jpg_LWG8756-Edit-Edit

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55522610407_d34bf6580c_b.jpg_LWG6046-Edit

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55524013990_bded880be7_b.jpg_LWG3955-Edit copy

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55523627156_2d6ee032e8_b.jpg_LWG2737-Edit-Edit copy

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55523627646_a3ee60b2fb_b.jpg_LWG5457-Edit copy

The compression kills these. Flickr only seems to give me the option of sharing at 1024 pixels. If there is a way to link from Flickr that allows for a larger image, I'd love to know.

Otherwise, a couple of fun notes. The hawk flew out of a tree when I didn't even have my lens up. I just put the camera to my eye and luckily had the bird in the frame. The Z6iii
...Show more →

The 2nd bear shot is lovely... I like the position of the head and splash of water.
Nice work.

bruce


Edited on Sep 12, 2026 at 03:35 PM · View previous versions



Sep 12, 2026 at 12:32 PM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #10 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Quiet moment with one of the sea otters I often encounter...

bruce






  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.5    1/4000s    560 ISO    +0.7 EV  




Sep 12, 2026 at 12:33 PM
groob
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.66 #11 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


OwlsEyes wrote:
Quiet moment with one of the sea otters I often encounter...

bruce



Very nice. I wish I had better shots of otters.



Sep 12, 2026 at 02:26 PM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #12 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


groob wrote:
Very nice. I wish I had better shots of otters.


Thanks...

Look PM me if you ever make it to California's central coast, I can put you on sea otter out here... assuming that the giant Pacific heat plume doesn't cause lasting damage...

bruce



Sep 12, 2026 at 03:35 PM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #13 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Stilt mother and two chicks...

Check out the EXIF... 2x + internal 1.4x... Sometimes you need everything you can get if you don't want to disturb your subject.

bruce




  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Z TC-2.0x lens    1120mm    f/8.0    1/4000s    800 ISO    -1.0 EV  




Sep 20, 2026 at 01:52 PM
OwlsEyes
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #14 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions


Just some birds...

regards,
bruce




  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    400mm    f/3.5    1/2500s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  






  NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    560mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    6400 ISO    +0.3 EV  




Sep 24, 2026 at 11:33 PM
1       2       3       …       65              end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       65              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account