New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              38       39       end

Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Picked mine up today and ran to a park near the store to test the lens a bit.
The weight is really good and much better balance than 200/2 or 500/4e FL. It feels lighter but really is pretty much the same weight as the other two lenses and feel much much lighter than 600/4e FL, more so than the actual 800g difference.
All shot handheld. As usual, spot owlets are always gracious as a model . Also ran into ground staff at the park who showed me where a couple more spotted owlets now resided.
No cropping, no sharpening added. I used ACR in PS to brighten up the owls as it all had pretty strong back light.

400/f2.8, 1/500, iso 180

With internal TC on, 560mm, f4, 1/500, iso 200

with internal TC and external TC1.4, 784mm, f5.6, iso 720

With TCx2, 800mm, f5.6, iso 400

with internal TC on and TCx2, 1120mm, f8, 1/500, iso 1800

The sun kind of went in and out behind the cloud a bit and I was probably not
standing right in the same spot every time but close enough.

Then as I just about to pack up everything, an Asian barred owlet stopped by for a quick post.

with internal TC and external TC1.4, 784mm, f5.6, iso 1250 1/500

And a couple more with TCx2, 1/640, iso 400 and 450

Next Friday, I am going on a trip and there should be some opportunity for bif. Not sure if I will have time in the next few days to do anything much with the lens.

AF at usual bird distance is very fast and with internal on and external TCx2, AF is still very reasonable and definitely not slower than 600/4e FL with TC20e iii. However, focus at near minimum focusing distance is not very good though. Will need to experiment a bit more here.

Feb 18, 2022 at 06:36 AM
tabishshaikh

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Congrats on your purchase, looking forward to more images

Feb 18, 2022 at 07:14 AM
George DeCamp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Sweet congratulations on your new lens! You said you used internal TC and TC2x together and was fast? If so wow!!

Feb 18, 2022 at 07:26 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Impressive image quality even with the TCs.
I love the bokeh, itís quite remarkable IMHO.
Cheers,
Bernard

Feb 18, 2022 at 07:31 AM
philwaring
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing more about how you get on with it. I'm jealous that you just have owls sat in the local park!

Feb 18, 2022 at 07:59 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Congrats!!!!

Can't wait to see more as you discover the lens.

Feb 18, 2022 at 08:53 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

So it does have Owl AF?

Feb 18, 2022 at 09:14 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

tabishshaikh wrote:
Congrats on your purchase, looking forward to more images

Thanks

---------------------------------------------

George DeCamp wrote:
Sweet congratulations on your new lens! You said you used internal TC and TC2x together and was fast? If so wow!!

I am not sure if it is fast enough for bif yet. Hopefully I will have a go at it on my trip next week. But I think with TCx2 alone at 800mm, it should do quite well.

bernardl wrote:
Impressive image quality even with the TCs.
I love the bokeh, itís quite remarkable IMHO.
Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks, I really like TCx2s. Much better than the F moutn counterpart by a good margin, I think.

philwaring wrote:
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing more about how you get on with it. I'm jealous that you just have owls sat in the local park!

And the park is only about 5 minute taxi ride from the camera store
and about 25 minutes train ride back to my apartment

arbitrage wrote:
Congrats!!!!

Can't wait to see more as you discover the lens.

Thanks Geoff, I definitely will try to get out and try this lens some more if weather permits. It is supposed to be dry
season now but we have been getting rain almost every day. Very strange.

Feb 18, 2022 at 09:15 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

AcuteShadows wrote:
So it does have Owl AF?

At least on spotted owlet, eye detection on Z9 is not very impressive. It only picked on the eyes may be 50% of the time in
my experience. However, during the day times, most of the times either the eyes are closed or only partially opened so I think the camera does not always recognize it. Initially, Z9 also sometimes picked up on the round spot on the body instead but that does not happen now on my 2nd outing with the owlet. The first time that happened quite a few times, may be the deep learning part of the camera is working

Now if you mean something else by owl AF, may be it does
I heard that there are Asian barred owlet here but never saw one. Spotted owlet is much easier to find.
May be the lens has owl pheromone so one actually showed up out of nowhere. This is the first time I actually ever saw one.

Feb 18, 2022 at 09:17 AM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Thanks for posting these.
Are the setting posted above or below the image? It looks like the setting is above the image but the squirrel threw me off.

Feb 18, 2022 at 09:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

suteetat wrote:
At least on spotted owlet, eye detection on Z9 is not very impressive. It only picked on the eyes may be 50% of the time in
my experience. However, during the day times, most of the times either the eyes are closed or only partially opened so I think the camera does not always recognize it. Initially, Z9 also sometimes picked up on the round spot on the body instead but that does not happen now on my 2nd outing with the owlet. The first time that happened quite a few times, may be the deep learning part of the
...Show more

Interesting. I think someone should talk to them, so that they include owl patterns in their algorithms.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:47 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

this is me wrote:
Thanks for posting these.
Are the setting posted above or below the image? It looks like the setting is above the image but the squirrel threw me off.

The setting is posted below each picture. I did not take the owlet picture with bare 400/2.8 as they were pretty high up in the tree unfortunately.

AcuteShadows wrote:
Interesting. I think someone should talk to them, so that they include owl patterns in their algorithms.

I was told that there is going to be an update firmware that will add many more kinds of birds to the algorithms.

Feb 18, 2022 at 03:05 PM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

I was told that there is going to be an update firmware that will add many more kinds of birds to the algorithms.

I heard exact some thing, forget where or by whom

Feb 18, 2022 at 03:17 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Congrats on the 400! Great set of first shots!

Feb 18, 2022 at 06:02 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

I forgot I took a few shots with just 400/2.8 and no TC.

400mm, f2.8, iso 64, 1/400 Shutterspeed was a bit too slow as I thought the owlet was just sitting there
doing nothing as usual

No cropping

approximately DX cropped, around 19mp

100% magnification, no resizing.

Feb 18, 2022 at 06:04 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Congrats on the new lense. How is autofocus speed vs 600 fl? Hopefully it is faster and better with the new motors. I know it must be way less noisier . The 600 fl is noisy with the Z9. Let me know, hopefully the new 600mm will be comparable.

Feb 18, 2022 at 08:30 PM
JasonTheBirder
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

Looks pretty good so far

Feb 18, 2022 at 08:54 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

rick2906 wrote:
Congrats on the new lense. How is autofocus speed vs 600 fl? Hopefully it is faster and better with the new motors. I know it must be way less noisier . The 600 fl is noisy with the Z9. Let me know, hopefully the new 600mm will be comparable.

I have not tried bif yet. If it does not rain tomorrow morning and I donít get call into work, hopefully I will get some pied kingfisher shots. But with internal TC and external TCx2 at 1120mm, the focus locked on the owlet easily with no hunting
And is not slower than 600/4e FL with TCx2 definitely.

JasonTheBirder wrote:
Looks pretty good so far

Thanks, I really enjoy it so far.

Feb 18, 2022 at 09:01 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

I did a quick comparison between 600/4e FL with and without TC14e iii and 400/2.8s with internal TC and external TC combination. Not very scientific but hopefully it will give some idea.

This is the basic set up. On Video fluid head as I don't have any ball head that is stable enough for big tele lens. Single point focus on the owl's right eye. I tried to position the right eye as close to the center as possible. 5s delayed iso 64, shutterspeed around 1/13-1/20 mostly. All shot wide opened.

600mm comparison ( well 600 vs 560 mm actually, using internal TC).

I would give an edge to 600/4e FL. Surprisingly, 400/2.8 with internal TC really struggle to focus on the eye and focused on the darker surface behind the eye instead. I had to try many times to get the eye in focus whereas 600/4e FL did not have problem at all. Even the best shot I think still slightly backfocus a tad. I had animal eye focus on in wide aread initially but the camera was not fooled into thinking this is an animal
But on the other hand, I think the difference is small enough that it would not make much of a difference to me, I think and with the added flexibility of 400/2.8s. This is pretty good trade off (of course, it has to be a good trade off after I spent my money ).

Interesting tidbits, my dealer told me that at CP+, may be on 2nd and 3rd day. There will be quite a few announcements of new camerae (Z30 most likely), possibly 800PF and more firmware for Z9.
The latest firmware allows Z9 to work with 400.2.8s but it is not 100% yet. My dealer told me supposedly AF on 400/2.8s is only 70-80% of what it could be but hopefully firmware later on this month will take care of that. If this is true, that would explain why yesterday I had quite a bit of problem at near minimum focusing distance and single point focus today. However, yesterday the spotted owlet, there was no issue with wide area large focus and single point focus on Asian barred owlet at all. Very strange. However, this is just from my local dealer and I have no way to confirm that. I guess we will have to wait for CP+.

Here is at around 800mm +/- test.

I think 600/4e FL and 400/2.8+ TCx2 are pretty close. This time 600/4 + TC slightly backfocused in comparison. to 400/2.8 with TCx2. With 2 TC 1.4, still backfocused even more bu I think the dark surface still showed that it is not quite as sharp as the other two.

I did not compare 600/4 + TCx2 vs 400/2.8s with TC1.4 and TCx2 . Personally, I never had good result with TC20e iii and generally avoid it as much as possible but I was pleasantly surprise by the two TC combination yesterday enough that I think I would rather use 400/2.8s with 2 TC rather than 600/4 with TC20e iii personally.

Feb 19, 2022 at 05:49 AM
philwaring
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official Nikon 400/2.8S image thread + some discussions

suteetat wrote:
I did a quick comparison between 600/4e FL with and without TC14e iii and 400/2.8s with internal TC and external TC combination. Not very scientific but hopefully it will give some idea.

Thanks for doing these!

It looks like the lighting changed a bit between that first 600mm bare shot and the 400 with the internal TC. The 2nd one is a bit darker and there's less reflection on the white part of the eye. I think this probably makes the 400 come off a little worse than it should in that comparison. This difference may have contributed to the AF being less likely to hop onto the eye.

The shot with the 2x on the 400 looks really good. Based on that one I would have no problem using the 400 with a 2x as my primary way to 800 rather than coveting a 600 with a 1.4x.

I almost think that you'd be best off aiming at the belly of your owl and using manual focus with focus highlighted in the viewfinder whilst zoomed in because of the slight curve you're going to get an area in critical sharpness and the texture is similar so you'd prehaps end up with an easier comparison. I actually just had a go with a soft toy comparing 400 and 560 on my 180-400 and then comparing the results at the same size. I expected this to be a win for non-TC but TC definitely had the edge. I think I've probably thought the TC was a little worse than it actually is on this lens because I probably didn't do this kind of comparison before. It's never stopped me using it but I think it might perform even better on a Z9 than it did on my D5 with the TC.

Feb 19, 2022 at 08:41 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.