Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end

SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heli...

Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

That came out great!! Looks amazingÖ

Nov 20, 2021 at 08:23 AM
erekose

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

naturephoto1 wrote:
Sorry, it took me longer than I intended, but finally some photos of the lens subsequent to modification and how and what I can use with the lens.

I can fill in information about the images and the equipment that I can use with the modified lens if anyone wants additional information.

Rich

Quality job indeed! If only they had a branch here in Europe I would have my copy modified too - at once. Did you also get the collapsible lens hood - I don't see it in the posted images.

Nov 20, 2021 at 01:05 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

erekose wrote:
Quality job indeed! If only they had a branch here in Europe I would have my copy modified too - at once. Did you also get the collapsible lens hood - I don't see it in the posted images.

Hi,

Thank you. Unfortunately the 62mm wide angle rubber hood (as it turns out does not collapse), but it causes hard vignetting with the lens as does my old Heliopan 77mm wide angle collapsible hood when used with my 62mm to 77mm Sensei brass step up ring. So, at this point I do not have an answer for a wide angle hood because the lens has such a wide angle of view (in fact you have to be cognizant of not getting your fingers in the frame). But, in both of these instances, I was trying to protect the front element with the UV filter and the step up ring was screwed into the filter. I suspect that a 62mm to 82mm step up ring with an 82mm wide angle hood may work with the lens since modification. Obviously the Lee 100mm Foundation Holder could partially function to block sunlight providing the holder was oriented in either the vertical or horizontal position as long as you have not rotated it to the point of causing hard vignetting in the extreme corners.

Also not included in the photo of the equipment that I can use with the lens was the Sony 62mm pinch cap. That fits great on the front of the lens as well as on UV filter.

Rich

Nov 20, 2021 at 01:26 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Wow very nice indeed and I have nothing wider than my 20mm right now. Iím a wide angle freak.

Nov 22, 2021 at 09:55 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

This is my first posted image taken with the lens used with B+W 62mm XS-PRO UV MRC filter.

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:21PM.

Looking down across grasses, through the trees in Autumn Color, across Jordan Creek and the Lehigh County Zoo, and across the Preserve into the distance.
Tripod mounted A7rIII and Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 Ultra Wide-Heliar Asph III VM lens with B+W 62mm XS-PRO UV MRC filter; silent shutter.
ISO 100, f8?, 1/8 second.

November 16, 2021
At the Top of Trexler Nature Preserve, Schnecksville, PA.

Rich

Dec 03, 2021 at 08:39 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:25 PM.

Looking down across grasses, through the trees in Autumn Color, across Jordan Creek and the Lehigh County Zoo, and across the Preserve into the distance.
Tripod mounted A7rIII and Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 Ultra Wide-Heliar Asph III VM lens after modification by SK Grimes with B+W 62mm XS-Pro UV MRC filter; silent shutter.
ISO 100, f8?, 1/5 second.
Exposure Corrected +0.09 Stops.

November 16, 2021

Rich

Dec 20, 2021 at 07:44 AM
billsnature
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Rich,

Great images. You may have the best copy of this lens I have ever seen. I have tried copies from Cameraquest, BH and used here on the forum and none of them have the corner sharpness that you show, unless you have cropped the full frame corners off.

Is it really that sharp out to the corners?

Bill

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:43 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

billsnature wrote:
Rich,

Great images. You may have the best copy of this lens I have ever seen. I have tried copies from Cameraquest, BH and used here on the forum and none of them have the corner sharpness that you show, unless you have cropped the full frame corners off.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you. It is fairly sharp or sharp to the corners. That is relying on the lens profile in LR. I have also increased the sharpness in LR a little more than the default settings. But, this was Fred's lens and he can certainly comment and probably knows the lens even better than me. So, hopefully Fred will make a comment about this.

Rich

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

billsnature wrote:
Rich,

Bill

Hi Bill,
Yes, that's my experience as well. There is above average copy variance from the CV 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 lenses. The former fares a bit better, but after trying many copies, I've seen variation in resolution towards the corners. I've sold this copy to Rich and it was indeed a great performer, optimal copy.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:31 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:24 PM.

Tripod mounted A7rIII and Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 Ultra Wide-Heliar Asph III VM lens with B+W 62mm XS-Pro UV MRC filter; silent shutter.
Exposure Corrected +0.53 Stops.

November 16, 2021

Rich

Jan 20, 2022 at 08:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:23 PM.

Looking across grasses, and trees (in Autumn Color) along the roadway at the top of the Preserve, through the trees in Autumn Color, and across the Preserve into the distance.
Tripod mounted A7rIII and Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 Ultra Wide-Heliar Asph III VM lens with B+W 62mm XS-Pro UV MRC filter; silent shutter.
ISO 100, f8?, 1/15 second.

November 16, 2021

Rich

Feb 10, 2022 at 08:31 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:25 PM.

ISO 100, f8?, 1/6 second.
Exposure Corrected +0.18 Stops.

November 16, 2021

Rich

Apr 22, 2022 at 07:29 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:16 PM.

ISO 100, f8?, 1/100 second.

November 16, 2021

Rich

Apr 29, 2022 at 06:30 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:23 PM.

Exposure Corrected +0.44 Stops.

November 16, 2021

Rich

May 23, 2022 at 06:11 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 4:27 PM in Magic Hour about 16 minutes before Sunset.

Looking along the curve in the roadway bathed in Magic Hour Light at the Top of the Preserve. The long shadow of my camera, tripod, and me can be seen running acros the road.
ISO 100, f8?, 1/30 second.
Exposure Corrected +0.18 Stops.

November 16, 2021

Rich

Jun 06, 2022 at 06:55 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

This thread was initiated by our late and beloved Rich, and here's an update:

Rich had ordered a 62mm threaded adapter for the CV 12/5.6 III from S.K. Grimes. They successfully designed one for his lens and kept the project on file. Recently, upon repurchasing the same lens, I reached out to Joel at S.K. Grimes and confirmed that they still have the design for this adapter.

So, for those interested in using filters with the CV 12/5.6 III, all you need to do is order the black anodized adapter that replaces the existing hood. I've already ordered the part and removed the hood today, now just waiting to attach it myself (only requires 3 screws).

Caution: The three small screws that secure the hood can easily strip. Make sure to use the correct screwdriver size (Japanese '00').

Here is a quick picture from my phone showing the hood removal:

May 03, 2024 at 05:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

OMG canít believe this alive again. Kudos to Rich. Great Guy and well missed

May 04, 2024 at 12:43 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
This thread was initiated by our late and beloved Rich, and here's an update:

Rich had ordered a 62mm threaded adapter for the CV 12/5.6 III from S.K. Grimes. They successfully designed one for his lens and kept the project on file. Recently, upon repurchasing the same lens, I reached out to Joel at S.K. Grimes and confirmed that they still have the design for this adapter.

So, for those interested in using filters with the CV 12/5.6 III, all you need to do is order the black anodized adapter that replaces the existing hood. I've already ordered the part and
...Show more

Fred, thanks for bumping this thread. How much is the SK Grimes adapter? I have A CV 12 but havenít used it much.

May 04, 2024 at 02:14 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

GMPhotography wrote:
OMG canít believe this alive again. Kudos to Rich. Great Guy and well missed

Indeed, Guy!

I went through the thread and noticed that you created your own version of the 12/5.6 III to accept filters!

Removing the hood is easier than "chopping," but it's no longer a Guy "Choppy."

May 04, 2024 at 09:56 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Indeed, Guy!

I went through the thread and noticed that you created your own version of the 12/5.6 III to accept filters!

Removing the hood is easier than "chopping," but it's no longer a Guy "Choppy."

Interesting, I still have CV15/4.5 VM, Choppy from Guy, use it with TAP AF.

K-H.

May 04, 2024 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.