Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       5       end

SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heli...

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

GMPhotography wrote:
So you still have to grind down the hood or what am I missing here

The lens' filter thread ring with the hood pedals can be removed from the lens barrel. (So, yes, no need to remove the pedals)
However, the lens won't have any filter ring, so it would still need some sort of filter thread ring substitute.

In the case of the Voigtlander 15/4.5 III, I didn't go that route since my hood pedals were already removed.

PS: I would instruct S.K. Grimes that it's possible to remove the hood assembly and perhaps they can find a way to add a filter thread for this lens.

Aug 24, 2021 at 07:46 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
The lens' filter thread ring with the hood pedals can be removed from the lens barrel. (So, yes, no need to remove the pedals)
However, the lens won't have any filter ring, so it would still need some sort of filter thread ring substitute.

In the case of the Voigtlander 15/4.5 III, I didn't go that route since my hood pedals were already removed.

PS: I would instruct S.K. Grimes that it's possible to remove the hood assembly and perhaps they can find a way to add a filter thread for this lens.

Hi Fred,

When I speak with Adam at SK Grimes, I will first check if they know how to remove the whole Petal assembly. If they do, great, if not I will pass along the information that Mike provided along with the link to the disassembly of your lens along with the photos in your posting. I will also check with them if they can work with the Petal assembly and then remove the petals and then once they have the proper distance install the filter thread into what is left of the assembly. If not, then they will have to prepare something either from scratch or what is left to prepare the lens with the correct size, diameter and distance of the part with the 62mm filter size. If they do the work on the lens and are unable to work with the Petal assembly they will need to also install an Aperture Index Mark in the correct location as this mark is on the Petal assembly for the VM lenses.

Rich

Aug 24, 2021 at 08:02 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I just spoke with Adam at SK Grimes and they are familiar with removing the ring around the lens, and how to access and remove the part with the Petals. He expects that he will need to manufacture a new part for this modification, but he will determine that after the lens arrives. Also, I let him know that since the lens is in the M mount, the new part would require an Aperture Index Mark to be installed, aligned, and painted white since the mark is on the original part in the M mount.

Rich

Aug 25, 2021 at 09:20 AM
MAubrey
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

naturephoto1 wrote:
I just spoke with Adam at SK Grimes and they are familiar with removing the ring around the lens, and how to access and remove the part with the Petals. He expects that he will need to manufacture a new part for this modification, but he will determine that after the lens arrives. Also, I let him know that since the lens is in the M mount, the new part would require an Aperture Index Mark to be installed, aligned, and painted white since the mark is on the original part in the M mount.

Rich

SK Grimes does great work and I'm sure the end result will be superb for you!

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:35 AM
sfogg
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I trimmed the petals off mine to use on a GFX. Would have been *much* easier if I had known that it could be removed that easily.

If you need it I can send you a stl to print a donut for inside the original lens cap. With the petals gone the cap could hit the glass, the donut prevents that from happening.

Shawn

Aug 26, 2021 at 08:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Last time I spoke to @yukosteel, he was working on a solution with some step-up rings as a filter thread solution once the hood assembly is removed. Perhaps he will let us know. Just to be clear, he was working on the CV 15 and not the CV 12.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:22 PM
yukosteel
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Thanks Fred for involving me into this interesting conversation.

Yes with CV 15 it is possible to substitute hood part with custom tuned step-up filter adapter ring.
I tried first step-up 49-58mm ring, but inner diameter is too wide.
Then I tried step-up 46-58mm ring - removed 46mm thread and drilled three sockets in same position as OEM hood part. With that ring CV 15 has no filter thread though, because nameplate goes into step-up 58mm thread occupying it completely.

Next step will be to secure empty 58mm ring frame on top of 46-58mm ring to allow attaching 58mm filters.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Here are some more images showing the Voigtlander 15/4.5 III with the hood assembly removed. (Only by removing 3 screws)

Images courtesy of @yukosteel

Aug 26, 2021 at 03:42 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here are some more images showing the Voigtlander 15/4.5 III with the hood assembly removed. (Only by removing 3 screws)

Images courtesy of @yukosteel@

Hi Fred,

Is the last photo with an empty 58mm filter installed on the lens and used as a spacer? Otherwise, wouldn't the bulbous front element have shattered the installed filter?

Edited on Aug 26, 2021 at 04:07 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2021 at 03:55 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Looks like he drilled holes in a 46-58mm step ring and mounted that with the screws from the hood assembly. Must be just enough to raise the filter to clear the element

Aug 26, 2021 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Fred,

Is the last photo with an empty 58mm filter installed on the lens and used as a spacer? Otherwise, wouldn't the bulbous front element have shattered the installed filter?

---------------------------------------------

johnahill wrote:
Looks like he drilled holes in a 46-58mm step ring and mounted that with the screws from the hood assembly. Must be just enough to raise the filter to clear the element

Here is what I got from Yuri: (He is very busy right now and asked me to forward this message)

---------------------

The slim filter ring attached on last picture - I need to find a way to cut it in half to remove 58mm male thread, and attach it to 46-58mm ring using strong adhesive tape. In that way it will be possible to fit the nameplate and also have filter thread for 58mm filters

If only there would be 46-58mm ring with extensive length of front filter thread of about 6mm, then it would work, but that front thread is too short to fit both nameplate and external filter

Also:

....there is 46-58mm step-up ring inside instead of hood. It's visible on 3rd picture, but people may mistakenly get it that simply removing hood allows nameplate to be secured back, which is not possible.

Aug 26, 2021 at 04:21 PM
yukosteel
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

To clarify CV 15mm filter ring mod, here is the full list of steps:

1. Unscrewing CCW front nameplate
2. Unscrewing 3 bolts holding lens hood, removing lens hood
3. Using 46-58mm step-up ring, cutting away the 46mm male thread so that side is flat.
4. Drilling three holes in 36-58mm step-up ring, should be done in the way to also fit bolts heads.
5. Attaching step-up ring to the lens frame, screwing in 3 bolts, making sure bolt heads dont protrude.
6. Screwing in front nameplate.
7. Using 58mm filter ring frame of regular width (about 4-5mm), cutting away 58mm male thread to make bottom side flat.
8. Cutting 7-8mm wide strip of black vinyl adhesive film, attaching it to the filter ring outer wall.
9. Attaching filter frame to the step-up ring and pressing on adhesive film to secure it.

As a result CV 15mm has no hood petals and is able to accept any 58mm filter. Adhesive film is strong enough to keep 58mm filter ring on its place, though you need to gab filter ring when dismounting filter.

Aug 26, 2021 at 07:42 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

It appears that the USPS has let me down still again. It is now 6:15 PM and USPS tracking still shows that the lens arrived at the Providence RI Distribution Center at 10:33 AM yesterday. USPS tracking is still showing that the Expected Delivery is by 9:00 PM today, but that would be to the Woonsocket, RI PO (lens sent to their PO Box) which is supposed to only be 13.6 miles away from the Distribution Center.

To say the least this is a very disappointing start to the lens journey and providing the lens arrives at the Woonsocket PO tomorrow or Monday, SK Grimes will not have the lens till earliest on Monday since they are now closed.

The USPS tracking has now been updated at about 6:40 indicating that the package is in Transit, Arriving late. Gee, it was only about 300 miles to go from my Home to SK Grimes. I know and confirm the distance as for many years I would participate in the Scituate Art Festival in Scituate, RI near Woonsocket and I would pull a trailer full of photos.

Rich

Aug 27, 2021 at 05:23 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

It only took the USPS to have the lens/package depart the Providence, RI Regional Distribution Center today at 3:29 PM (the first update on the package since August 26 at 10:33 AM). Hopefully the lens will be delivered to SK Grimes tomorrow or Friday.

I will give Adam at SK Grimes a call to let him know that the lens has been finally released from the USPS. I will ask him if they can slip the lens into the que for work based upon when the lens should have been delivered (Friday of last week). If he will or can not, then a week will have been added till the work is completed and the lens is returned.

I will update things as they go forward.

Rich

Sep 01, 2021 at 03:11 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

The lens package was delivered to the Woonsocket, RI SK Grimes PO Box this morning. SK Grimes should or already has the package in their hands today.

I spoke with Adam from SK Grimes this morning alerting him that the package was at the PO awaiting pick-up. He indicated that he would work around what should have been the delivery date of last Friday for putting the lens into the que for the required modification.

Rich

Sep 02, 2021 at 02:06 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I just spoke with Adam at SK Grimes. We wanted to quickly check about what was ultimately needed to be done with the lens. But, they were trying to remove the front ring on the lens and have found that it is a little different than the front ring on the Voigtlander 15mm lens. Rather than damage the lens and the bulbous front element, they want to make up as special jig to remove the ring. But, Adam now having looked at the lens more carefully believes that they will have to make a new special ring for the lens.

Adam thinks that we are still on target at this point of between 2 and 4 weeks for the completion of the lens. Hopefully about 2 weeks or so for removing the front ring and petals and making the new part and then sending the part out for black anodizing so still a total of about 2 to 4 weeks or so from now till completed.

I will fill everyone in as more information becomes available.

Rich

Sep 23, 2021 at 08:45 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Have Dremel will travel.

Sep 23, 2021 at 08:50 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

GMPhotography wrote:
Have Dremel will travel.

Sep 23, 2021 at 08:51 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

No they do a great job for sure. I had them make some custom stuff for me back in my medium format days on my tech cam

Keep us posted . Also maybe get a total costs as i may buy another one

When i did mine i used a 58-62 step up as that was also my hood and used 62 filters

Sep 23, 2021 at 08:58 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I went another way for the 15mm FL. The larger but faster Laowa 15mm F2.0 which accepts standard 72mm screw in filters.

Sep 24, 2021 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.