Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end

SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heli...

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

k-h.a.w wrote:
Interesting, I still have CV15/4.5 VM, Choppy from Guy, use it with TAP AF.

K-H.

That one was the best of my 3 .

May 04, 2024 at 12:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Douglas L wrote:
Fred, thanks for bumping this thread. How much is the SK Grimes adapter? I have A CV 12 but havenít used it much.

The black anodized replacement part costs $180 plus shipping. If you prefer S.K.Grimes to install the new part for you, there's an additional $60 fee. (That's the part I handled myself). This modification is non-destructive, as the original hood remains intact and can be reattached if desired.

May 04, 2024 at 12:30 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

GMPhotography wrote:
That one was the best of my 3 .

Indeed, it still is and worth every penny I paid for it.
This was my way to get the CV 15 without lens variation flaws.
Thank you again, Guy.

This is a picture you took of it and send me.

K-H.

May 04, 2024 at 12:33 PM
hanay78
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

The new part for the 12mm, can be also mounted in the 15mm?

May 04, 2024 at 04:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

hanay78 wrote:
The new part for the 12mm, can be also mounted in the 15mm?

That's a good question, Hanay. Once I receive it, I can try it on my CV 15/4.5 III. However, S.K.Grimes can cut hood of the 15/4.5 III and black anodize it since it already has filter threads. (The CV 12/5.6 III originally lacks threads for filters.)

May 04, 2024 at 05:15 PM
hsiunghsiung
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

k-h.a.w wrote:
Interesting, I still have CV15/4.5 VM, Choppy from Guy, use it with TAP AF.

K-H.

Aha, I still have the Choppy II (E mount version) also cut by Guy. I bought it from the person who bought it from Guy. Super sharp and small at that time.

May 04, 2024 at 09:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I got a notice that the filter thread adapter to replace the CV 12/5.6's hood is almost complete. I've already removed the hood from my lens and am just waiting to install the adapter.

If everything works according to the plan, it should look like this at the end:

May 26, 2024 at 06:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Update: Despite a small delay, S. K. Grimes created the filter adapter for the Voigtlander 12/5.6 III in 45 days. For those who have been following this thread, there's no need to ship them your lens. They have the filter thread adapter on file, so you just need to place an order, and they'll produce and ship it.

The design is impeccable in terms of tolerance and aesthetics. The anodized metal matches the lens perfectly, and everything fits seamlessly. Only three screws are needed, and you have to remove the face-plate. Here are some pictures showing the entire process I completed today after receiving the adapter.

My Voigtlander 12/5.6 III shares the same 62mm filter thread as my CV 21/1.4 Nokton, and there is no vignetting when using a filter. This is the design Cosina should have implemented from the beginning. It makes the lens smaller, and the included lens cap still fits perfectly. Flare resistance is the strength of this lens.

One of the screws already attached.

putty to allow rotation of the name-plate. It screws in and out.

Lens rear cap used as a wrench.

Name-plate attached.

included lens cap is still compatible with the new threaded front section.

This is how the lens should've been from the start! It's a beauty and performs optimally on the Leica M and adapted to mirrorless cameras.

Jun 13, 2024 at 06:00 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

The legacy of Rich, the original poster of this thread, continues...😢

Jun 13, 2024 at 07:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I miss his posts and images. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I keep returning to this thread. This project was his vision, and he used a lens I sold to him.

AGeoJO wrote:
The legacy of Rich, the original poster of this thread, continues...😢

Jun 13, 2024 at 07:51 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
I miss his posts and images. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I keep returning to this thread. This project was his vision, and he used a lens I sold to him.

His very last post was from Feb 27, 2023 and the image he posted was from his trip to Italy almost a year earlier, in March 2022.

Jun 13, 2024 at 08:19 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Thanks Fred. I need to order one soon.

Jun 14, 2024 at 04:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Makes me want to buy one for sure.

Jun 14, 2024 at 04:44 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

GMPhotography wrote:
Makes me want to buy one for sure.

You wouldn't like it. It's too clean and simple without using a Dremel!

Unfortunately, the CV 12/5.6 III has been discontinued, but I found a used one for a great price here on FM.

Jun 14, 2024 at 10:00 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Yea clean donít work I want ragged edges.

Jun 14, 2024 at 10:19 AM
Sylvain_31

p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Thank you Fred !
Nice idea
Do you think this filter adapter could feet the sony version as currently designed by SK Grimes ?

Jun 14, 2024 at 02:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Sylvain_31 wrote:
Thank you Fred !
Nice idea
Do you think this filter adapter could feet the sony version as currently designed by SK Grimes ?

That's a great question! I should point out that this is the M-mount version, which, by the way, performs great on the Sony sensor. It's possible the E-mount has a slightly different hood construction.

Jun 14, 2024 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.