1       2              4              32       33       end

Archive 2020 · 50/1.2s Images

twistacatz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 50/1.2s Images

ekam wrote:
Aren't all Z lens focus by wire?

I'm not sure but I have five Z mount lenses and none of the focus rings feel the same. For the most part they all feel fine, but the 50mm 1.2 feels really good.

Dec 15, 2020 at 02:42 PM
andrewd01
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 50/1.2s Images

ekam wrote:
Aren't all Z lens focus by wire?

Yes but focus by wire lenses still have a unique feel based on the mechanical damping of the focus ring.
I only have one Z lens (35mm f1.8s), but I am very impressed by how smooth the focus ring feels. It is a completely different league to the one Canon EF lens I have. The Z lens feels very much like a traditional manual focus lens.

Dec 15, 2020 at 02:52 PM
twistacatz
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 50/1.2s Images

A few more observations...

Holding the Z7 and this lens together in one hand is fairly difficult. With that said the focus ring takes up so much space on the lens you almost have to place your second hand on it.

Speaking of focus, it seems to work fairly well like the other Z lenses. However one thing that I noticed is that the focus motor is louder than I would expect given that I don't hear much of anything from my other Z mount lenses. This could be an issue for video and on camera mics.

This is the first Z mount lens that I've owned that has the control ring which I look fwd to playing with.

And the last observation is the sharpness and out of focus area rendering our wonderful, very pleasing to the eye.

DSC_6480 by maddenlive2006, on Flickr

Nikon Z 7
NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S
/2.0 50.0 mm 1/200 ISO 220

DSC_6550 by maddenlive2006, on Flickr

Nikon Z 7
NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S
/1.2 50.0 mm 1/320 ISO 720

Dec 15, 2020 at 04:55 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 50/1.2s Images

I am finding it hard to resist the urge to get this lens. Trouble is, I have spent so much money so far that I really need to start selling of more of my F mount cameras and glass.

Dec 15, 2020 at 04:57 PM
GoroMajima
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 50/1.2s Images

Lovely pics so far, the rendering is amazing. I would be happy switching my 58mm 1.4g for this one,
but I am already struggling with the 35mm 1.4g + FTZ Adapter weight-wise.
I would be interested in a full body pic with busier background. That is where the 1.8s didn't do very well. http://artsphlog.blogspot.com/2019/04/review-nikkor-z-50mm18s.html

Dec 15, 2020 at 05:31 PM
gear-nut
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 50/1.2s Images

twistacatz wrote:
In terms of my initial thoughts, it definitely feels heavy in the hands.

By your pic, it freaking dwarfs the Z body! I am amazed it so large. But then it does generate a gorgeous image, super sharp at the focus plane, buttery bokeh -- congrats on the new lens!

Dec 15, 2020 at 05:34 PM
LeifGoodwin
• •
[X]
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 50/1.2s Images

twistacatz wrote:

Holding the Z7 and this lens together in one hand is fairly difficult. With that said the focus ring takes up so much space on the lens you almost have to place your second hand on it.

Speaking of focus, it seems to work fairly well like the other Z lenses. However one thing that I noticed is that the focus motor is louder than I would expect given that I don't hear much of anything from my other Z mount lenses. This could be an issue for video and on camera mics.

This is the first Z
...Show more

It does give a wonderful separation between subject and background, ideal for portraiture and fashion. And if someone tries to mug you, you can wallop them with it.

Dec 15, 2020 at 06:02 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 50/1.2s Images

Great photographs! As an aside, I think anyone who is doing serious video work with this lens will use a separate and dedicated microphone that will not pick up the AF noise.

twistacatz wrote:

This is the first Z
...Show more

Dec 15, 2020 at 06:37 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 50/1.2s Images

twistacatz wrote:

This is the first Z
...Show more

She is precious (I assume it is your daughter). This is why one would buy the best lens money could buy - to take special portraits. Keep taking them - this age passes fast!

Dec 15, 2020 at 09:25 PM
nycdarkness
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 50/1.2s Images

lol blow away by some of these images on the nikon 50, and to think its 300 less than the RF version

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:19 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 50/1.2s Images

twistacatz wrote:

This is the first Z
...Show more

Beautiful pictures. My copy's motor is really quiet though. I have not notice any motor sound at all. AF is quite fast but occasionally, the lens struggle with closer subject, say within 1 m range where it just would not move at all but itvis quite rare. The weight can be a problem but Z7 ii with 50/1.2s weight probably only a few hundred grams over D850 and Sigma Art 50/1.4. If I have not been shooting a lot with D6 and use Noct Nikkor 58/.95 quite a bi, I would struggle more with the weight.

Dec 16, 2020 at 02:59 AM
nikonos6
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 50/1.2s Images

twistacatz wrote:

This is the first Z
...Show more

Dec 16, 2020 at 04:38 AM
Almass
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 50/1.2s Images

suteetat wrote:
Beautiful pictures. My copy's motor is really quiet though. I have not notice any motor sound at all. AF is quite fast but occasionally, the lens struggle with closer subject, say within 1 m range where it just would not move at all but itvis quite rare. The weight can be a problem but Z7 ii with 50/1.2s weight probably only a few hundred grams over D850 and Sigma Art 50/1.4. If I have not been shooting a lot with D6 and use Noct Nikkor 58/.95 quite a bi, I would struggle more with the weight.

I concur that the motor is silent as I cannot hear anything as well.

This lens is not made for C/U below 1 m range and definitely not hand held.

I did not feel comfortable shooting under 1m hand held and the result is obvious as shown.

The Bokeh of the tiny 50/1.2 Ais holds a candle to the 50/1.2 S but is much too soft and forget shooting C/U with it in manual focus.

I guess I would need to test again with a tripod support.

Z7 50/1.2 S - ISO 250 200s f1.2
(all images OOC)

Z7 50/1.2 Ais - ISO 500 320 f1.2

Edited on Dec 16, 2020 at 05:36 AM · View previous versions

Dec 16, 2020 at 04:54 AM
Almass
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 50/1.2s Images

.......and here is the excellent Sigma Art 50.1.4 WO and is obviously sharper at f1.4

Dec 16, 2020 at 05:02 AM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 50/1.2s Images

Almass wrote:
.......and here is the excellent Sigma Art 50.1.4 WO and is obviously sharper at f1.4

https://i.imgur.com/VpXjQbY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EyKITDt.jpg

Did you focus on the lettering? Are my eyes deceiving me or does the Sigma look less sharp?

Dec 16, 2020 at 05:37 AM
Alan Yuen
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 50/1.2s Images

The sigma definitely looks the least sharp. The 50 AIS looks pretty amazing compared the the S.

Although really these tests should be done on a tripod, ISO 64.... manually focused on the lettering. Also at minimum focus the depth of field must be so shallow you would most likely be stopping down anyway?

Dec 16, 2020 at 05:53 AM
Dustoff06
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 50/1.2s Images

Lance B wrote:
I am finding it hard to resist the urge to get this lens. Trouble is, I have spent so much money so far that I really need to start selling of more of my F mount cameras and glass.

Lance - I hear ya.......

Dec 16, 2020 at 06:09 AM
LastPlace

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 50/1.2s Images

Another lens added to my list!

Dec 16, 2020 at 08:14 AM
Kasper6188
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 50/1.2s Images

Couple test shots from 50 1.2/1.8/58noct/581.4G. These were shot on a tripod in the same location, shutter adjusted for exposure all shot wide open. I was planning on going outside to set something up from different distances but the snow is coming down pretty hard. If you want to see any specific kind of test let me know and I might be able to snap some pics.

Link to full resolution jpgs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15uwQaDYFBZ8Y-kDKCqVEx3nErgik46xA?usp=sharing

50mm 1.2 S

50mm 1.8 S

58mm 0.95 noct

58mm 1.4G

Dec 16, 2020 at 01:55 PM
Kasper6188
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 50/1.2s Images

2 more closer up of just the Z 50's. Tripod, no change in composition

1.2 S

1.8 S

Dec 16, 2020 at 02:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.