Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              102       103       end

Archive 2021 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

twentysevenone
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

I would be shocked if this could replace the Sigma 35/1.2. That has been my go-to lens for virtually everything indoors. Much as I love the CV40 and CV50, I've finally given up on chasing the baby and cat around with a MF at 1.2. Also for bedroom full body portraits it is unmatched in usefulness. If the room is decently lit I don't even need a flash.

Like a lot of people have said, I'm interested in the size and weight. I never loved the 35/1.8 but it's been functional. If this 35GM and if it's light and small it would be a great replacement.

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

twentysevenone wrote:
I would be shocked if this could replace the Sigma 35/1.2. That has been my go-to lens for virtually everything indoors. Much as I love the CV40 and CV50, I've finally given up on chasing the baby and cat around with a MF at 1.2. Also for bedroom full body portraits it is unmatched in usefulness. If the room is decently lit I don't even need a flash.

Like a lot of people have said, I'm interested in the size and weight. I never loved the 35/1.8 but it's been functional. If this 35GM and if it's light and small it
...Show more

For those unwilling to compromise 1/3 stop for a lighter/smaller lens, the Sigma will still be the answer.
However, some may change their mind if the new 35/1.4 GM is significantly smaller and dethrones the Sigma in resolution and rendering. As a recent example, the 12-24/2.8 GM outperformed the already superb Sigma 14-24/2.8 DG DN Art.

My dream 35mm lens would be a 35mm f/1.4 with the 24/1.4 GM's signature rendering but with improved axial CA correction and even stronger flare resistance. Basically a 24/1.4 GM in 35mm. Easy Sony!

Nov 20, 2020 at 01:42 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

The performance of the Sigma is incredible but I can't get past the size; weight isn't much of an issue for me yet but I put the Sigma on my camera at a local Henry's and it simply wouldn't fit in either of my two walkaround camera bags.

I would love a 35/1.4 that carried on with the G/GM mojo that Sony has been working with, performance and size. I have no doubt it'll be a $2k+ lens here in Canada but I'll start saving my pennies.

Nov 20, 2020 at 02:20 PM
JVan_02
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Fred Miranda wrote:
For those unwilling to compromise 1/3 stop for a lighter/smaller lens, the Sigma will still be the answer.
However, some may change their mind if the new 35/1.4 GM is significantly smaller and dethrones the Sigma in resolution and rendering.

I think the size is actually the most important factor. Sure, some people will want either the latest and greatest and go for the Sony—but the Sigma seems to be a big hit with the wedding & event crowd already and the market is saturated. Don't remember the exact weight of the Sigma, but if we're talking a weight difference of 1kg and 700g... well, you're getting 1/2 an extra stop for less than half again the weight. If the AF is good enough (and outside some buggy behavior it seems to be), there's not a huge reason to pay equal or more money for a less capable lens (I doubt any working professional will be buying a 35mm for sports). Sure, the rendering on the Sony may end up being better—but the rendering on the Sigma is hardly bad. It's rather excellent actually, and at this point improving on it is far into the field of diminishing returns.

Everything about the Sigma is rather excellent where it needs to be (again, AF being just good enough is fine for most use cases)—except size. I think that's the X-factor here, and Sony certainly must have noticed the critical response with their 24 GM and 20 G and how everyone was completely over the moon about how well they managed to fit an excellent optic into a petite package. It was probably too late to affect the development of this lens, but they also must be aware of how similarly positive the reception of Sigma's new 85 is as well. So I have some hope.

The one fly in the ointment here is that Sony seems to have been a bit more traditional in their recent optical designs than Sigma. To compare: while Sigma specifically optimizes size by baking in imperfections that are almost completely computer correctable, Sony likes to go more whole hog with chasing their optical goals. If Sony also started using this approach during the development of their 35 I could see a sub 600g lens seeing as Sigma managed to shrink their absolute BEHEMOTH 85 down to one of the lightest in current production at under 700g. If they didn't, well... they might surprise me but I expect we're going to see weights closer to traditionally excellent 35s.

Nov 20, 2020 at 02:21 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Sorry, Fred but the 12-24 GM detroned the Sigma DN for some aspects.
For others the Sigma is still better and at half of the cost.
Then, I was under the impression that 1.2 vs 1.4 is closer to half stops than one third.

Edited on Nov 20, 2020 at 03:08 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2020 at 02:49 PM
twentysevenone
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Fred Miranda wrote:
However, some may change their mind if the new 35/1.4 GM is significantly smaller and dethrones the Sigma in resolution and rendering. As a recent example, the 12-24/2.8 GM outperformed the already superb Sigma 14-24/2.8 DG DN Art.

My dream 35mm lens would be a 35mm f/1.4 with the 24/1.4 GM's signature rendering but with improved axial CA correction and even stronger flare resistance. Basically a 24/1.4 GM in 35mm. Easy Sony!

I think even if the rendering and correction were similar to the 24GM, I would still be inclined to keep the Sigma. I'm no expert so excuse my lack of proper terminology, but the 24GM renders "clear and colorful" while the Sigma renders "dreamy" to me.

I would be ecstatic to have the dream lens you mention, but it would be alongside not inlieu of the Sigma. My pair of Sigmas 35/1.2 and 105/1.4 have been an absolute portrait power couple. Since this rumor is more or less confirmed, I guess I should start seeing if anyone wants a Canadian FE35.

Nov 20, 2020 at 03:02 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

The 35mm f/1.4 ZA is a lens with huge variation, probably shoved out the door too quickly when Sony needed lenses right damn now. A good 35mm f/1.4 is going to be very welcome.

Nov 20, 2020 at 03:22 PM
Teo Rey
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Jeff,
A 35mm f/1.2 lens yields more blur compared to f/1.4 but it does not say much about rendering characteristics. Sigma already offers a superb option and I don't see the point of Sony releasing another monster lens for even more money.

I am glad Sony took their time and went with a 35mm f/1.4 lens -- keeping things as compact as possible. I am very hopeful rendering will be amazing.......Sony don't blow it!

I have complete faith that they can make a gorgeous rendering 35mm after we've seen how beautiful the 24 GM renders. With that in mind, my other big requirements would be that bokeh stays mostly round to the frame edges and that the size/weight is low enough compared to the Sigma 35f1.2 to make it worth it.

While the Sigma rendering is gorgeous, bokeh is quite truncated and at the edges and vignetting is quite high so if I were to get it I would likely be stopping down to at least f1.4 anyway for the sake of uniformity. If the GM can fix these issues at a nice size then I'll start saving now 😁

Nov 20, 2020 at 05:55 PM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

JVan_02 wrote:
I think the size is actually the most important factor. Sure, some people will want either the latest and greatest and go for the Sony—but the Sigma seems to be a big hit with the wedding & event crowd already and the market is saturated. Don't remember the exact weight of the Sigma, but if we're talking a weight difference of 1kg and 700g... well, you're getting 1/2 an extra stop for less than half again the weight. If the AF is good enough (and outside some buggy behavior it seems to be), there's not a huge reason to pay
...Show more

I agree size will be at least one of the keys. That said the Sigma 85 is nice and small and appears to have that an more going for it. Yet I'd still take the GM 85mm even though it's larger and the AF is on the slow side. The rendering to me is just better (personal preference of course). So to me it is the rendering that I will be most interested in. Make it like the 24GM and I'm in. I already know it will be smaller and lighter than both the Zeiss and Sigma 1.2.

Nov 20, 2020 at 06:25 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Yay ! Just what i was waiting for. Hope this is not a biggie.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

scalanc2 wrote:
Sorry, Fred but the 12-24 GM detroned the Sigma DN for some aspects.
For others the Sigma is still better and at half of the cost.
Then, I was under the impression that 1.2 vs 1.4 is closer to half stops than one third.

Yes, the Sigma wins on size and price. It also has shorter MFD compared to the 12-24 GM despite both lenses sharing equal MFD specs. I was just making a point that a lens we consider superb today could still be improved with a different design and glass technology.

Regarding the f/stop difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4, one could make the case for either 1/3 or 1/2 stops:

1/3 stop:

(sqrt 2) ^ (2/3) ≈ 1.2599 → 1.2
(sqrt 2) ^ (3/3) ≈ 1.4142 → 1.4

1/2 stop:

(sqrt 2) ^ (1/2) ≈ 1.1892 → 1.2
(sqrt 2) ^ (2/2) ≈ 1.4142 → 1.4

So, we are just approximating the numbers and lens transmission should be considered as well.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Here are the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA's specifications. How different will the new GM version be?

Perhaps 11 aperture blades? Shorter MFD? Number of elements? Filter thread? Size/Weight?
  1. Angle of View 63°
  2. Minimum Focus Distance 11.81" / 30 cm
  3. Maximum Magnification 0.18x
  4. Optical Design 12 Elements in 8 Groups
  5. Diaphragm Blades 9, Rounded
  6. Focus Type Autofocus
  7. Image Stabilization None
  8. Filter Size 72 mm (Front)
  9. Dimensions (ø x L) 3.09 x 4.41" / 78.5 x 112 mm
  10. Weight 1.39 lb / 630 g

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:56 AM
Editorrr
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

JVan_02 wrote:
I doubt any working professional will be buying a 35mm for sports

My dream is to buy such a lens for basketball shooting.

Nov 21, 2020 at 05:32 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Editorrr wrote:
My dream is to buy such a lens for basketball shooting.

Wouldn't you be inside the court? Didn't know that was allowed. Guess I'm wrong once again though

Nov 21, 2020 at 05:56 AM
Editorrr
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

JVan_02 wrote:
Wouldn't you be inside the court? Didn't know that was allowed. Guess I'm wrong once again though

I almost always shoot 24mm basketball. I rarely do it 135mm. https://baltaksa.com/basketball

Nov 21, 2020 at 06:23 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

@Editorrr nice pics!

Nov 21, 2020 at 07:10 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

JVan_02 wrote:

Well yes you would as I used to do it when I shot for the Phoenix Suns but I was literally under the basket sitting on the floor with the video crews as well( I had press passes for that work). Its actually a great shot from that position and distance with a 35mm but than again I would use a variety of lenses as well. If this lens is real I will certainly look at it. I honestly bought every 35mm you can bolt of a Sony body and that not a joke either. Im still not happy. But I did not try the Sigma 35 1.2 yet which I know I would probably like

Nov 21, 2020 at 09:38 AM
JVan_02
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

@GMPhotography this just seems like an opportunity for someone to get run into and ruin both a photographer and player's day. Were there any rules for photographers for being on the court, or is it just... try not to get in the way?

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:00 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here are the FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA's specifications. How different will the new GM version be?

Perhaps 11 aperture blades? Shorter MFD? Number of elements? Filter thread? Size/Weight?
  1. Angle of View 63°
  2. Minimum Focus Distance 11.81" / 30 cm
  3. Maximum Magnification 0.18x
  4. Optical Design 12 Elements in 8 Groups
  5. Diaphragm Blades 9, Rounded
  6. Focus Type Autofocus
  7. Image Stabilization None
  8. Filter Size 72 mm (Front)
  9. Dimensions (ø x L) 3.09 x 4.41" / 78.5 x 112 mm
  10. Weight 1.39 lb / 630 g

I think the 35 f/1.4 GM is going to be very different. Yes, we will get 11-rounded blades like almost all GM lenses. But I think the biggest change is going to be in the optical formula. The 35 f/1.4 ZA has three aspherical lenses, but Sony doesn't mention any ED glass to control CA. I expect the new formula to have less aspherical elements (probably 1 but maybe 2) and I expect them to be the new extreme aspherical elements that Sony has developed which virtually eliminate onion rings in the bokeh. I also expect something like 3 or 4 (maybe even more) ED elements to lower CA. I hope they also include a floating element for better close focus performance as well. I think we can also expect a linear motor instead of the direct drive motor in the 35 f/1.4 ZA. And finally the new lens of course won't have the Zeiss T* coating but will have Sony coatings.

Beyond that I hope that the new lens is lighter than the ZA, but I don't expect it to be that much lighter, but I would expect it to be a 77mm front thread and maybe even an 82mm front thread. I really don't expect this new lens and the old ZA lens to be very similar at all. I expect in a year or so, however, you will be able to get the ZA lens for a very reasonable price. At least some people will appreciate being able to get a Sony f/1.4 for what will be a very attractive price on the used market.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:01 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Pre-order: Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM ($1,399)

JVan_02 wrote:
@GMPhotography@ this just seems like an opportunity for someone to get run into and ruin both a photographer and player's day. Were there any rules for photographers for being on the court, or is it just... try not to get in the way?

Yes there is a line you must stay behind for sure and it is only press allowed. The second part happens often . I was runnedover by Reggie Miller back in the day. Thanks God he was not truck size but a compact man. . Great player though

Even in Pro football you see press shooters get ruined over and they can move out of the way or at least try. Ive known a few guys that ruined there gear

This year with the NBA it was played in a bubble because of Covid so I really did not see any shooters on the floor but maybe I missed it.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.