FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

I saw this video awhile ago.

https://youtu.be/s_udomZKxqs

https://www.diyphotography.net/new-megadap-adapter-lets-you-autofocus-on-nikon-z-cameras-with-manual-focus-leica-m-lenses/

I think Techart also has similar adapter available but I don't see a lot of information on Techart yet.
Supposedly it can handle more weight than Techart AF adapter for M to E mount so I thought I would give it a try.

The adapter arrived today.
I have the techart adapter for Sony that I have been using for years. In general, I find using Techart adapter with A7r IV is best with Leica 50/2 apo, not great with Noctilux 50/.95, 35/1.4 fle and all the lenses with floating element. I assume the same for Megadap adapter but I sold these 2 lenses along with a few other awhile ago so I can't really tell.

However, the good news is that the adapter works fairly well. With 50/2 apo, face, eye detection work fine at least for static subject. The bad news is that the adapter is quite noisy and a bit slower than Techart.
Over the next few days I will try it more and see what happen.
Leica 35/2 8 element also seems ok. This lens had some trouble with Techart adapter and A7r iii in the past but not too bad.
7Artisan 50/0.95 works fine with face/eye detection but only upto about 4-5m distance. It won't focus on anything further than that. I think this lens is a little gem, considering the price. Its image circle is actually big enough that it has very little vignette on GFX sensor that is usable without needing to crop unlike Leica Noctilux 50/.95 . Nowhere near the performance of 58/.95 but now AF kind of work on Z7

Several places sell them on ebay from China. The price included free shipping and mine was sent via fedex which is a nice surprise. However, 2 years warranty is included if the seller stamped the warranty form with date which they did not

Nov 09, 2020 at 04:33 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

With 7Artisan 50/0.95 @f 0.95 at a bit closer than its minimum focusing distance, on tripod, quite low light.

2s, iso 64, Z7

Focal length can be programmed to the adapter by taking a picture at designated aperture and turn camera off once. 50mm = f25.

Interestingly, aperture value is recorded in the exif data as well but it only go down to f1.4

@f2, iso 64 8s, looks like aperture is recorded properly as well but aperture 6.3 and above to use to change focal lenght registry so I am not sure what happen if I shoot for example f8 yet.

Nov 09, 2020 at 06:30 AM
megadap

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

Nice! Show us some AF footage

Nov 09, 2020 at 10:48 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

Opps, I think I figure out the reason why 50/.95 7 Artisan wont focus at longer distance.
As the adapter retract when the camera is focusing at longer distance to infinity, the lens barrel hit
the bottom part of the adapter and the adapter cannot fully retract back in so it is like you have a tiny
extension ring on the lens permanently. In fact,when the adapter is fully retracted, I cannot mount the lens on
the adapter either.

There is a good chance that Leica Noctilux 50/.95 may have the same issue as physically they are similar in size. I sold my Noctilux awhile ago since I got 58/.95 and figure that I would rather use 58/.95 than the Noctilux so no way for me to test this though.

Nov 11, 2020 at 06:29 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

https://youtu.be/0TP0GF0aPRY

a review of the adapter by Richard Wong.

Nov 11, 2020 at 09:37 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

Had a little fun with Z7 and Megadap + Leica 35/2 8e today.
All shot at f2. the bottom picture, I cropped a bit.
I am quite please with AF performance but don't expect it to track moving subject much
except very slow moving subject. Face and eye detection seems to work quite well.

Nov 12, 2020 at 06:20 AM
Jonathan F
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

suteetat wrote:

https://morboi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/NZ7_9686.jpg

https://morboi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/NZ7_9731.jpg

Had a little fun with Z7 and Megadap + Leica 35/2 8e today.
All shot at f2. the bottom picture, I cropped a bit.
I am quite please with AF performance but don't expect it to track moving subject much
except very slow moving subject. Face and eye detection seems to work quite well.

I have a Megadap adapter on the way, planning to use it with my MF Nikon lenses. Have you used the Techart adapter for Sony? If you have, is performance comparable? I'd be happy just to get responsive AF-S performance, I don't really need to track subjects, that's what native lenses are for!

BTW - Nice shots! Bangkok is one of the best cities for street photography. Easy to walk-around and there's something interesting to shoot at every corner!

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM
Fotix

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

One thing, i'am interested in is focus bracketing. With the laowa 25 macro i use a motorized stackrail to move the camera (Z7)with the lens, because the lens is manual focus only. My question: is it possible to use the focus bracketing mode of the z7 with this adapter. If so, i could comfortable use the Laowa with an additional Nikon to Leica Adapter for Macrostacks.

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:13 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

Jonathan F wrote:
I have a Megadap adapter on the way, planning to use it with my MF Nikon lenses. Have you used the Techart adapter for Sony? If you have, is performance comparable? I'd be happy just to get responsive AF-S performance, I don't really need to track subjects, that's what native lenses are for!

BTW - Nice shots! Bangkok is one of the best cities for street photography. Easy to walk-around and there's something interesting to shoot at every corner!

I do have Techart M to E mount adapter that I use with A7r IV currently. It is rather old though as I bought it pretty much within a few months that it was released. Not sure if there is any difference to the new one now. However, I did update to the latest fw 6.0 . Don't think there is any more recent update. Basically, the performance is variable depending on the lens.
With Techart, the best performance I get is with Leica 50/2 Apo. Face and eye detection is quick and reliable enough and I can get a lot of candid shot with camera at the waist, chest level for street shooting. Megadap is very good with 50/2 apo as well but not quite as good as Techart there. On the other hand, Techart really struggle with 35/2 8e. With A7r iii/ iv, I really need to MF till the subject is close to achieving focus first before the adapter will do its job. Otherwise, the adapter sometimes does not move at all if subject distance is changed from near to far or vice versa. Quite annoying that I gave up on using 35/2 8e with Techart all together as I might as well just use manual focus. However, Megadap adapter has very little problem with 35/2 8e. I think Techart motor is faster when going from very near to infinity so Megadap adapter feels slower to achieve focus but it will get a lot more in focus with 35/2 8e for sure. It should work well with Nikon MF lenses. I briefly tried my Noct Nikkor 58/1.2 and Leica R 80/1.4 (converted to F mount) and they seem fine. I understand that Megadap adapter can handle heavier lenses than Techart but can't find exact data on the maximum weight it can handle. Wonder if it will work with Otus 85/1.4

---------------------------------------------

Fotix wrote:
One thing, i'am interested in is focus bracketing. With the laowa 25 macro i use a motorized stackrail to move the camera (Z7)with the lens, because the lens is manual focus only. My question: is it possible to use the focus bracketing mode of the z7 with this adapter. If so, i could comfortable use the Laowa with an additional Nikon to Leica Adapter for Macrostacks.

As far as I can tell, I dont think focus stacking is working with this adapter. When I tried it, the camera will fire off however many shots you set but I dont hear or see the adapter moving. All the pictures looked exactly the same to me so look like the focus point does not move at all.

Edited on Nov 12, 2020 at 07:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2020 at 05:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

What is the AF extension range in mm?

EBH

Nov 12, 2020 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

EB-1 wrote:
What is the AF extension range in mm?

EBH

https://megadap.net/product/mtz11/

According to Megadap webpage, 6.5 mm.

In comparison, Techart version is 4.5 mm.

https://techartpro.com/?product=techart-leica-m-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tzm-01

But from the picture, looks like Techart won't have any clearance problem with fatter M mount lenses.

Nov 12, 2020 at 07:20 PM
Fotix

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

As far as I can tell, I dont think focus stacking is working with this adapter. When I tried it, the camera will fire off however many shots you set but I dont hear or see the adapter moving. All the pictures looked exactly the same to me so look like the focus point does not move at all.

Thank you for this information.
Regards Georg

Nov 13, 2020 at 05:26 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

Another shot with 35/2 8e, f2, 1/125, iso 720 indoor low lightish. AF still works pretty well.

Nov 14, 2020 at 01:53 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

A little fun with Zeiss 35/1.4zm.

@f1.4, 1/500, while this setup is not going to be my first choice for any moving object, AF is actually
quite reasonable. However, when the ice skater get closer to where he filled most of the frame then
the AF cannot follow him fast enough but that was also when he was coming toward me.

f1.4, 1/100

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:37 AM
LarsHP
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

For reference, I started a thread about the Megadap (and Techart) Leica M to Nikon Z mount autofocus adapters on October 12th here:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1667819/0

Dec 04, 2020 at 02:37 PM
LarsHP
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

suteetat wrote:

https://morboi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/NZ7_9642-small.jpg

With 7Artisan 50/0.95 @f 0.95 at a bit closer than its minimum focusing distance, on tripod, quite low light.

2s, iso 64, Z7

Focal length can be programmed to the adapter by taking a picture at designated aperture and turn camera off once. 50mm = f25.

Interestingly, aperture value is recorded in the exif data as well but it only go down to f1.4
https://morboi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/NZ7_9645.jpg

@f2, iso 64 8s, looks like aperture is recorded properly as well but aperture 6.3 and above to use to change focal lenght registry so I am not sure what happen if I shoot for example f8 yet.

You are talking about TTArtisan 50mm f/0.95 M lens here, right? As far as I know, there is no such lens from 7Artisans yet. They have a 50mm f/1.05 lens on the way, but for mirrorless mounts (Z, E, R and L) only.

Dec 05, 2020 at 11:23 AM
ocean2059
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

suteetat wrote:

https://morboi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/NZ7_9756bw-small.jpg

Another shot with 35/2 8e, f2, 1/125, iso 720 indoor low lightish. AF still works pretty well.

@suteetat: It's nice to see that you are using your Leica 35/2 8e on the Z7. Do you find the overall performance of the lens satisfactory relative to edge and corner color cast and smearing? I have not using any M lenses on the Z7, only R lenses so far. But I am thinking about getting an adapter for M.

Dec 05, 2020 at 11:45 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

LarsHP wrote:
You are talking about TTArtisan 50mm f/0.95 M lens here, right? As far as I know, there is no such lens from 7Artisans yet. They have a 50mm f/1.05 lens on the way, but for mirrorless mounts (Z, E, R and L) only.

Opps, yes, I mean TTartisan and not 7Srtisan, sorry for the confusion.

Dec 05, 2020 at 04:16 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

ocean2059 wrote:
@suteetat@: It's nice to see that you are using your Leica 35/2 8e on the Z7. Do you find the overall performance of the lens satisfactory relative to edge and corner color cast and smearing? I have not using any M lenses on the Z7, only R lenses so far. But I am thinking about getting an adapter for M.

There is no noticeable color cast but edge to edge sharpness is not going to be a strong suit of this lens on Z7 as I think the resolution of the sensor exceed the lens. Also there is definitely some field curvature. For landscape type shot, I would stick with 35/1.8s for now or Zeiss 35/1.4zm at least. However, I love the character of 35/2 8e for street, environmental portrait etc and it is such a small and light set up with Megadap that works quite well.
As far as M lenses are concerned, 50/2 apo is still my favourite for Z7 (or A7r IV for that matter). Leica WATE works really well but the lens is dated and nowaday, does not hold up to 14-30/4 or 14-24/2.8 except that it is smaller and a bit lighter. I sold it earlier this year. Leica 24/3.8 works better on Z7 than A7r IV but still some smearing, not quite as good as on Leica body. Again for landscape, there are more suitable Z mount lens for Z body for landscape.

Had a lot of fun with Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 v ii

Dec 05, 2020 at 04:21 PM
ocean2059
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Megadap MTZ11 M mount to Z mount auto focus adapter

suteetat wrote:
There is no noticeable color cast but edge to edge sharpness is not going to be a strong suit of this lens on Z7 as I think the resolution of the sensor exceed the lens. Also there is definitely some field curvature. For landscape type shot, I would stick with 35/1.8s for now or Zeiss 35/1.4zm at least. However, I love the character of 35/2 8e for street, environmental portrait etc and it is such a small and light set up with Megadap that works quite well.
As far as M lenses are concerned, 50/2 apo is still my favourite
...Show more

Thanks very much! I will stay with Z mount Nikon 35/1,8 S, which I like very much and just wish the size is bit smaller. I also really like the rendering of the Leica 35/3 8e. I've mostly used it with the M9M.

Dec 05, 2020 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password