New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17              19       20       end

Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

yup. I did not like the feel of the focus ring - sharp and narrow. This makes it so much better. One of those weird CV design choices.

Sep 28, 2023 at 04:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Desmolicious wrote:
yup. I did not like the feel of the focus ring - sharp and narrow. This makes it so much better. One of those weird CV design choices.

I really like that black-painted brass look, but I've also gotten accustomed to tab focusing. The CV 50/1.5 Heliar has that brass build too, but the new Nokton is high-performing and 5mm shorter!

Sep 28, 2023 at 05:11 PM
Malabito
• •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Anyone has compared this lense to the zeiss planar 2.0?

A new planar can be found for 250 euros less, any comments in how they compare from 2.0 on?

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2023 at 06:59 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Malabito wrote:
Anyone has compared this lense to the zeiss planar 2.0?

A new planar can be found for 250 euros less, any comments in how they compare from 2.0 on?

Thanks!

I have direct comparison images for you; Aperture series across a couple subjects.

I can upload the M11 DNG files and PM you a link.

Stuff like this...

Sep 30, 2023 at 09:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

hmzimelka wrote:

I have direct comparison images for you; Aperture series across a couple subjects.

I can upload the M11 DNG files and PM you a link.

Stuff like this...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53224133763_58f549dfca_b.jpg

I'd be really interested in seeing that comparison! I'm a fan of the 50/2 ZM Planar and the latest Leica 50/2 Cron, which both have a similar double Gauss design. My expectation is that the CV 50/1.5 II will provide slightly better resolution and contrast at the corners when shooting wide open. But when stopped down, they should produce very similar results. Personally, I lean towards the more classic rendering from the the Zeiss/Leica here.

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:44 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'd be really interested in seeing that comparison! I'm a fan of the 50/2 ZM Planar and the latest Leica 50/2 Cron, which both have a similar double Gauss design. My expectation is that the CV 50/1.5 II will provide slightly better resolution and contrast at the corners when shooting wide open. But when stopped down, they should produce very similar results. Personally, I lean towards the more classic rendering from the the Zeiss/Leica here.

I've uploaded the files to my google drive. Link to zip file
HERE

I don't really like my Planar much. It's got some pros and cons, but the Summicron takes the cake for me with its longer focal length and zero distortion. I prefer the Summicron by a long shot, but of course it can't touch the Zeiss' resistance to flare.

The Nokton I would've kept if I still had my M10 Monochrom, since it renders beautifully in B&W. It has too much colour aberration and vignetting for my taste.

Sep 30, 2023 at 02:34 PM
Malabito
• •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

hmzimelka wrote:
HERE

I don't really like my Planar much. It's got some pros and cons, but the Summicron takes the cake for me with its longer focal length and zero distortion. I prefer the Summicron by a long shot, but of course it can't touch the Zeiss' resistance to flare.

The Nokton I would've kept if I still had my M10 Monochrom, since it renders beautifully in B&W. It has too much colour aberration and vignetting for my taste.

thanks for the link!!!! any comments on why you didn't liked the planar? I am thinking of getting the planar instead of the Voigtlander just because of my previous experience with other Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses. The Voigtlanders were great, but somehow the Zeiss had always seemed to pop a bit more.

The cron is supposed to be the best of them all, but is quite more $$$ specially for a focal i don't shoot constantly

(I tried opening the link but asked me to request for permit, i left a message )

Sep 30, 2023 at 02:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

hmzimelka wrote:
HERE

You did an excellent job describing those three lenses! Impressive. Thanks for the samples. I will check it out.

Sep 30, 2023 at 04:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Malabito wrote:
thanks for the link!!!! any comments on why you didn't liked the planar? I am thinking of getting the planar instead of the Voigtlander just because of my previous experience with other Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses. The Voigtlanders were great, but somehow the Zeiss had always seemed to pop a bit more.

The cron is supposed to be the best of them all, but is quite more $$$ specially for a focal i don't shoot constantly

(I tried opening the link but asked me to request for permit, i left a message )

For the price, you should begin with the Planar and gauge your preference since they are very similar. As @hmzimelka mentioned, there are some minor distinctions though. Although still great, the Planar doesn't correct distortion as well, has slightly less correction for axial chromatic aberration, and its angle of view is closer to 50mm. The benefit is that it boasts better resistance to flare. On the other hand, the Summicron is slightly longer, offers improved color correction, and produces less distortion.

Sep 30, 2023 at 04:18 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Malabito wrote:

I changed the permissions of the link, so anyone can download now. I haven't used google.drive in ages so, my bad about that.

Optically, the Planar is really quite good but not appealing next to the summicron. I'm just being pedantic. However, I prefer less distortion in a 50mm lens. I'm not sure if the focal length is 50 or just under, as the Summicron is 52.2mm, then the Nokton is a little wider, and the Planar wider still.

I'm not a fan of the build on the Planar 50, C-Planar 35 and Biogon 35mm I've tried. While the last two I didn't keep, the Planar I've disassembled a few times to fix tiny focus ring play/backlash which can be felt when changing focus directions. The same issue was present with the other two 35mm lenses. Turns out my Planar had an uneven cutout for the internal focus ring guide/tab, in addition to being undersized. Focus ring play became worse/more at closer focusing distances, less at infinity. It was a terribly frustrating job widening this tab and then shaving the slot it rides in to have an even focus feel. I also changed the helicoid grease to something a little heavier.

For the price, I think the Nokton 50mm is exceltpional value for money. I just feel it has a little too much colour fringing and more LaCA compared to the Planar. Also, the vignetting or light fall-off is quite strong at f/1.5, which makes the fast aperture rather unpractical. The internal design and build is better than the Planar. If I were to recommend one lens over the other I would choose Nokton without thinking twice.

The Planar is sharp at the centre, and gradually falls off towards the corners, and as one stops down the sharpness improves across the board rapidly. The Nokton is sharp at the centre, has a slight mid-zone dip and sharp at the edges, but it's already pretty great across the entire image by f/4. Its pretty good for landscapes too.

EDIT: I may even have infinity comparisons between the Nokton and the Summilux, but I'll have to dig a bit. The Nokton is great for landscapes compared to the Summilux.

EDIT 2: I almost forgot!!! Focus shift. The Nokton has the least focus shift. The Planar and Summicron both have focus shift that requires minor compensation at f/4 and f/5.6. My Summicron is calibrated for f/2.8 but the Ziess Planar is calibrated for f/2, making the focus shift more frustrating on the Planar, even at f/2.8.

EDIT 3: The Planar does have better light transmission for its wider apertures, like at f/2 and f/2.8. Both compared to the Summicron and Nokton.

I compared the Planar to the Summicron only. I sold the Nokton before I got the Summicron.

Centre Crops at f/4. Zeiss has deeper blacks. Cron left, Planar right.

OOF rendering between Planar and Summicron.

Oct 01, 2023 at 12:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Malabito
• •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Thanks a lot for the samples!!!!!!

The thing i learned from it is that i need an m11 hahahaha, I have an m10, and hope to upgrade at some point.

Regarding the lenses, i can't really see much of a difference between the lenses, seems like the Voigtlander background is a bit busier, and has a bit of more color distractions, but only a tiny bit and that the Zeiss is a bit wider, but if you use the lens profile in lightroom to correct the distortion is only a tiny bit. Also, the Zeiss seems to pop a bit more, perhaps sharpness o or so-called micro contrast, (I am far from a lens expert )

My only conocer is with the construction of the lens given your unpleasant experience, I had a 21mm ZM, which i sold after a while, and been using a 35mm zm f1.4 for the last 5 years or so... .and both lenses didn't have any issues, so i hope it was perhaps a matter of bad luck.

Probably if i go for the Voigtlander or the Zeiss sharpness will be already good enough, and i don't want to spend way more on a leica given those are focals i dont use much, i prefer wide for which i have a 24mm Elmar and a 28mm cron

Once more thanks for the samples and insight on the lenses!

Oct 01, 2023 at 03:45 AM
Malabito
• •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
For the price, you should begin with the Planar and gauge your preference since they are very similar. As @hmzimelka@ mentioned, there are some minor distinctions though. Although still great, the Planar doesn't correct distortion as well, has slightly less correction for axial chromatic aberration, and its angle of view is closer to 50mm. The benefit is that it boasts better resistance to flare. On the other hand, the Summicron is slightly longer, offers improved color correction, and produces less distortion.

Thanks for your insight and great reviews! I will search a bit more to see if i can get a used Voigt V2, if not i will just get the Planar.

Oct 01, 2023 at 03:46 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Malabito wrote:
Thanks a lot for the samples!!!!!!

The thing i learned from it is that i need an m11 hahahaha, I have an m10, and hope to upgrade at some point.

Regarding the lenses, i can't really see much of a difference between the lenses, seems like the Voigtlander background is a bit busier, and has a bit of more color distractions, but only a tiny bit and that the Zeiss is a bit wider, but if you use the lens profile in lightroom to correct the distortion is only a tiny bit. Also, the Zeiss seems to pop a bit more, perhaps
...Show more

The M11 is a nice luxury, but that camera can be an entire different discussion for itself.

The Planar is objectively, a very good lens. The Nokton renders smoother and softer background blur, in some cases considerably so, but with more chromatic aberration at times. I'm not convinced the Summicron is worth the premium over the Planar, that is such a subjective thing... I really like the 50mm focal length, so I'm perhaps overly picky.

If you buy from a source that allows returns, then either way you can't go wrong. Both great. I would just choose the Nokton first if I were to do it all again... If anything the panda version

Oct 01, 2023 at 04:58 AM
Malabito
• •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

hmzimelka wrote:
The M11 is a nice luxury, but that camera can be an entire different discussion for itself.

The Planar is objectively, a very good lens. The Nokton renders smoother and softer background blur, in some cases considerably so, but with more chromatic aberration at times. I'm not convinced the Summicron is worth the premium over the Planar, that is such a subjective thing... I really like the 50mm focal length, so I'm perhaps overly picky.

If you buy from a source that allows returns, then either way you can't go wrong. Both great. I would just choose the Nokton first if
...Show more

I ended up going for the Zeiss, just found one on eBay for 539 euros opened box, but new, (in Europe they usually go for ~800 euros or more, its from a reliable seller, they also accept returns, 14 days from the day of delivery). If i do like the lens, i will get later on the new the 28mm color skopar 2.8 GAS is a terrible thing.

Oct 01, 2023 at 05:19 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Malabito wrote:
I ended up going for the Zeiss, just found one on eBay for 539 euros opened box, but new, (in Europe they usually go for ~800 euros or more, its from a reliable seller, they also accept returns, 14 days from the day of delivery). If i do like the lens, i will get later on the new the 28mm color skopar 2.8 GAS is a terrible thing.

Cool! Happy shooting!

Oct 01, 2023 at 07:53 AM
sander9t

p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

A few shots with this lens - I actually quite like the swirls from this lens which is different from a vintage lens' swirls due to its smooth bokeh rendering but stands out from the well corrected modern lenses. In addition, I really enjoy using it with a Techart LM-EA9 autofocus adatper.

Read! by Sander Li, on Flickr

Arequipa, Peru by Sander Li, on Flickr

Machu Picchu, Peru by Sander Li, on Flickr

Oct 13, 2023 at 01:19 PM
Mayasan

p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Can anyone share some wide open image of the Nokton II when the lens is uncoded in Leica camera? I would like know any owner bother with its vignette issue? The nokton II is so compact that it might become my daily all round lens, even the nickel version is 250g which Is still 90g lighter than the 50mm f1.2. I am seriously considering f1.5 over f1.2

Dec 13, 2023 at 01:20 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

'like the swirls'. Me too, this one has very nice 'presence'.

Dec 14, 2023 at 04:23 PM
jplaurel

p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

I also like the swirly bokeh. Gives it a vintage vibe, with modern performance stopped down just a little. I also have the original Voigtlander Nokton Vintage line 50m f/1.5 (styled after the 1950s lens), and I'll have to do some comparisons. But this new one is very compact and easy to handle. Love it.

Dec 14, 2023 at 05:00 PM
sander9t

p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

A few more wide open shots on Sony. I think the swirls have something to do with field curvature as well. The Sony thick sensor might amplify the swirl effect. Don't know if Leica sensor will look different.

Color of the Season by Sander Li, on Flickr

Color of the Season by Sander Li, on Flickr

Color of the season by Sander Li, on Flickr

Jan 20, 2024 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.