Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              10       11       end
  

Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


robsonj wrote:
So, wadya think, I assume you have it now?



I should get both CV 35/2 Ultron and CV 35/2.5 this week. I will compare it to the CV 35/1.4 II for resolution and rendering.



Aug 25, 2020 at 12:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Got the lenses and did a quick test. (I will post crops in a new thread)

From a quick test (resolution and rendering), I'm very impressed with the CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar.




From left to right: CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar, CV 35/2 Ultron (Vintage line), CV 35/1.7 Ultron, CV 35/1.2 III Nokton.




Aug 26, 2020 at 07:03 PM
imagesfromobjects
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?



Awesome, glad to hear that you're into it!

My favorite part of the 35/2.5 is the extremely short focus throw. At first I thought the lens was "stiff" to focus, but then I realized that it's a perfect amount of resistance for such a short throw. Lets you move quickly and still be precise.

Most of my "testing" is on an intuitive level, so I'm hoping that someone who can actually do a proper test can confirm how awesome this little one can be.


Fred Miranda wrote:
Got the lenses and did a quick test. (I will post crops in a new thread)

From a quick test (resolution and rendering), I'm very impressed with the CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar.




Aug 26, 2020 at 08:14 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Fred Miranda wrote:
Got the lenses and did a quick test. (I will post crops in a new thread)

From a quick test (resolution and rendering), I'm very impressed with the CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar.


I’d be curious to hear what you think of the ergo, ability to nail focus at f2.5 and colors/contrast between the two as well please



Aug 26, 2020 at 11:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


imagesfromobjects wrote:
Awesome, glad to hear that you're into it!

My favorite part of the 35/2.5 is the extremely short focus throw. At first I thought the lens was "stiff" to focus, but then I realized that it's a perfect amount of resistance for such a short throw. Lets you move quickly and still be precise.

Most of my "testing" is on an intuitive level, so I'm hoping that someone who can actually do a proper test can confirm how awesome this little one can be.



I've tested them on the Leica M10 and was surprised how close the CV 35/2 Ultron and CV 35/2.5 perform in terms of resolution and rendering.
The Color Skopar's rendering is actually smoother towards the edges (less FC) and is better corrected for CA.



Aug 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


As far as rendering, it's hard to beat the Voigtlander 35/1.2 III as it renders the smoothest bokeh across the image field. The runner-up in the CV 35/1.7 Ultron with similar smooth transition zone but with higher optical vignetting which renders specular highlights cat-eye shaped towards the corners. Off-axis, the Ultron's rendering is also a bit harsher compared to the 35/1.2 III Nokton. Both share similar resolution at comparable apertures.

These are the two Voigtlander lenses with the most pleasant rendering and comparable resolution. Their physical length seems equal but the Nokton is fatter due to large the f/1.2 glass diameter. It's also 90 grams heavier. If you don't mind the extra weight, my recommendation for best rendering and overall IQ goes to the CV 35/1.2 III Nokton.

___

Moving on to smaller/lighter 35mm options: CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar and CV 35/2 Ultron.
None of them has smooth rendering at the transition zone compared to the larger lenses above but there are some differences between them:

Voigtlander 35/2.5 Color-Skopar: just as sharp as the larger lenses (if not sharper). The Color-Skopar's advantage is the more even OOF rendering where center is just as smooth as corners.

Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron: Similar in resolution to the Color-Skopar. At f/2.5, rendering is only a tad smoother at center while at f/2 there is more blur since it's 2/3 stop faster. Off-axis though, rendering is slightly hasher compared to the 35/2.5 Color-Skopar at both f/2 and f/2.5 apertures.

I'm town between the 35/2.5 and 35/2. They are capable of very similar resolution and rendering. I prefer the former's "more even" rendering across the frame but I do like the extra contrast bite and 2/3 stop extra light from the 35/2 Ultron. To be honest, the extra contrast is barely noticeable and a simple tweak in LR brings them very close. Both share similar resolution at infinity and mid-distance.

Since I'm keeping the larger/heavier CV 35/1.2 III, I wanted a more portable 35mm and both 35/2 Ultron and 35/2.5 are considerably smaller. The Color-Skopar is only 35 grams lighter and a tiny bit shorter. Neither lens blocks the Leica's 35mm frame lines.







Aug 27, 2020 at 01:05 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Fred Miranda wrote:
As far as rendering, it's hard to beat the Voigtlander 35/1.2 III as it renders the smoothest bokeh across the image field. The runner-up in the CV 35/1.7 Ultron with similar smooth transition zone but with higher optical vignetting which renders specular highlights cat-eye shaped towards the corners. Off-axis, the Ultron's rendering is also a bit harsher compared to the 35/1.2 III Nokton. Both share similar resolution at comparable apertures.

These are the two Voigtlander lenses with the most pleasant rendering and comparable resolution. Their physical length seems equal but the Nokton is fatter due to large the f/1.2 glass
...Show more

Excellent summary.

I didn’t realize they were so close in terms of sharpness and contrast.I do know the 35 2.5 is beloved by small subset, so I can understand why now a little bit better. I always have a hard time evaluating the nuances of lenses without doing comparisons or having it in my hand to shoot.

I would opt for the extra speed give the size and IQ is so close, but then again, I’m a bit of a speed junkie like that.

Is there much of a difference in flare, vignetting or coma? How is the 35/2.5 ergo and focusing?



Aug 27, 2020 at 01:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


nehemiahphoto wrote:
Excellent summary.

I didn’t realize they were so close in terms of sharpness and contrast.I do know the 35 2.5 is beloved by small subset, so I can understand why now a little bit better. I always have a hard time evaluating the nuances of lenses without doing comparisons or having it in my hand to shoot.

I would opt for the extra speed give the size and IQ is so close, but then again, I’m a bit of a speed junkie like that.

Is there much of a difference in flare, vignetting or coma? How is the 35/2.5 ergo and focusing?


I'm surprised by how well the CV 35/2.5 performs. I kept reading it was designed for film but in reality, it performs very similarly to the newer CV 35/2 Ultron. This is all on the Leica M10 though. I have not tested them adapted on the Sony yet.

Do not know much about flare resistance

Here is a quick rendering comparison between the CV 35/2.5 and CV 35/2 (BOTH WIDE OPEN)

Note: Nothing done to the RAW images except for sharpening (same for both lenses)





focused area at 1:1: CV 35/2.5 [LEFT] and CV 35/2 [RIGHT] - THE 35/2 ultron @f/2 is capable of slight more blur







top area rendering: CV 35/2.5 [LEFT] and CV 35/2 [RIGHT] - THE 35/2 ultron @f/2 is capable of slight more blur (2/3 stop faster)







corner area rendering: CV 35/2.5 [LEFT] and CV 35/2 [RIGHT] - THE 35/2 ultron @f/2's corner rendering not as smooth compared to the 35/2.5 @f/2.5






Both WIDE OPEN: CV 35/2.5 [TOP] and CV 35/2 [BOTTOM]






Both at f/2.5: CV 35/2.5 [TOP] and CV 35/2 [BOTTOM]




Aug 27, 2020 at 02:38 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm surprised by how well the CV 35/2.5 performs. I kept reading it was designed for film but in reality, it performs very similarly to the newer CV 35/2 Ultron. This is all on the Leica M10 though. I have not tested them adapted on the Sony yet.

Do not know much about flare resistance

Here is a quick rendering comparison between the CV 35/2.5 and CV 35/2 (BOTH WIDE OPEN)

Note: Nothing done to the RAW images except for sharpening (same for both lenses)


Yes—very close signatures. Good illustrative crops/test. Blindly, I preferred the 35/2, but I had to look hard and it’s probably because of the extra 2/3 stops blur.

Thanks again



Aug 27, 2020 at 03:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


nehemiahphoto wrote:
Yes—very close signatures. Good illustrative crops/test. Blindly, I preferred the 35/2, but I had to look hard and it’s probably because of the extra 2/3 stops blur.

Thanks again


Something else I noticed: The CV 35/2.5 is noticeably sharper at MFD (0.7m) when both lenses are set to wide open.
The CV 35/2 Ultron @f/2.5, almost matches the 35/2.5 wide open at MFD. I tested this one my Sony A7RIV at center to be very precise.

Both perform horribly on the Sony sensor. (huge induced field curvature)

Here is the difference in resolution/contrast at MFD performance: (0.7m)





WIDE OPEN FOR BOTH: 35/2.5 (LEFT), 35/2 (RIGHT)







f/2.5 FOR BOTH: 35/2.5 (LEFT), 35/2 (RIGHT)




Aug 27, 2020 at 04:11 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Sunstar samples with the Voigtlander VM 35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar. Just like with other Voigtlander lenses with 10 straight blade apertures, the CV 35/2.5 is capable of very defined sunstars. They are optimal at f/4 but already look great starting at f/2.8.

The last sample shows the smooth rendering from this lens. Not much blur at f/2.5 but pleasant rendition.

Note: The Leica M10 does not report aperture values correctly. Most images with sunstars were shot at f/4 with the exception of the first at f/2.8. The last image was wide open (f/2.5)



























Aug 28, 2020 at 11:00 AM
frezeiss
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


I’ve tried the skopar, c-biogon and summarit. The C-biogon is very nice but the 35 Summarit was special. My fave M 35 lens


Aug 28, 2020 at 11:40 AM
pmeheut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


frezeiss wrote:
I’ve tried the skopar, c-biogon and summarit. The C-biogon is very nice but the 35 Summarit was special. My fave M 35 lens


Same here except for the c-biogon I've never tried. I've had the 35mm Aspherical, ASPH, FLE, the Summicron ASPH and the Voigt 35/2.5.
I like the Summarit: small, nice bokeh, compact hood and 2.4 is enough, especially with the M10.



Aug 28, 2020 at 11:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


It's a shame the Leica 35/2.4 Summarit was discontinued.

The Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Color-Skopar's differential is that it's a super compact lens (134g, 23mm length). A class of its own when it comes to portability. I find it very sharp from MFD to infinity distance from wide open while being well corrected for CA. It's similar in resolution and contrast compared to the Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron and in fact, it's sharper at close distance.

Looking at my side by side rendering comparison, the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 III still wins in rendering at similar apertures but the 35/2.5's rendition is pleasant and even across the field.

Here is an image showing the Voigtlander 35/2.5 Color-Skopar on the M10:







Aug 28, 2020 at 12:29 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Fred Miranda wrote:
It's a shame the Leica 35/2.4 Summarit was discontinued.

The Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Color-Skopar's differential is that it's a super compact lens (134g, 23mm length). A class of its own when it comes to portability. I find it very sharp from MFD to infinity distance from wide open while being well corrected for CA. It's similar in resolution and contrast compared to the Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron and in fact, it's sharper at close distance.

Looking at my side by side rendering comparison, the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 III still wins in rendering at similar apertures but the 35/2.5's rendition is pleasant and
...Show more

So are you settling on the CV 35/2.5 or 35/2?



Aug 28, 2020 at 01:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


nehemiahphoto wrote:
So are you settling on the CV 35/2.5 or 35/2?


I honestly haven't decided yet. I prefer the CV 35/2.5's slight smoother and 'more even' rendering but the CV 35/2 Ultron produces a tad more blur @f/2. They have very similar rendering character though.
It was surprising to see that the CV 35/2.5 performs better from MDF until about 1m compared to the newer CV 35/2 Ultron and that's not likely to be due to copy variation.

I tested them side by side for flare and the CV 35/2.5 comes on top again but this needs more testing...







cv 35/2.5 (LEFT), cv 35/2 (RIGHT) - few seconds apart




Aug 28, 2020 at 01:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


BTW: I would not be using either lens adapted to the Sony. Huge induced field curvature on the thicker sensor. Looks bad.


Aug 28, 2020 at 01:47 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Fred Miranda wrote:
BTW: I would not be using either lens adapted to the Sony. Huge induced field curvature on the thicker sensor. Looks bad.


I have been meaning to get my sensor modded—the CV 35/2 is pretty crappy relative to even other m lenses on stock Sony I agree.



Aug 28, 2020 at 01:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


nehemiahphoto wrote:
I have been meaning to get my sensor modded—the CV 35/2 is pretty crappy relative to even other m lenses on stock Sony I agree.


Although both lenses are well centered, I am getting new copies next week to make sure my findings are correct.



Aug 28, 2020 at 04:10 PM
MAubrey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Fred Miranda wrote:
BTW: I would not be using either lens adapted to the Sony. Huge induced field curvature on the thicker sensor. Looks bad.


I had the Skopar years ago and loved it. I've been wanting another for some time now that I have a modded Sony, but haven't gotten around to it yet. You're tests are pushing me back toward that!



Aug 28, 2020 at 04:36 PM
1       2              4              10       11       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              10       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.