Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              10       11       end
  

Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?

  
 
robsonj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


I have quite a few samples shot with the CV 35/2 here... https://flic.kr/s/aHsmG3hw7R, any that say summicron 35 are the CV, colours have been tweaked to taste and often vignette added. It's a nice lens, very diminutive. The only gripe I have about it really is the focus 'lever', which does screw off. I wish they'd offer a focus tab alternative to screw in.

I had the CV 35 1.2 II and III (briefly), but just found them to large and heavy, especially on the M240, so now I have the 35 FLE and the CV 35/2 for when I do want ultra portable.



Aug 17, 2020 at 09:10 AM
robsonj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


BTW, I'm not a fan of the CV hood for the lens, I find the Haoge hoods much nicer, cheaper and more streamlined. I mainly use the hood for front element protection though in conjunction with a clear filter.

The version I have on the CV 35/2 is the Haoge LH-VM13P, really nice hood, but searching now, it seems to either be hard to find or doubled in price, I paid $44.99.



Aug 17, 2020 at 09:20 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


robsonj wrote:
I have quite a few samples shot with the CV 35/2 here... https://flic.kr/s/aHsmG3hw7R, any that say summicron 35 are the CV, colours have been tweaked to taste and often vignette added. It's a nice lens, very diminutive. The only gripe I have about it really is the focus 'lever', which does screw off. I wish they'd offer a focus tab alternative to screw in.

I had the CV 35 1.2 II and III (briefly), but just found them to large and heavy, especially on the M240, so now I have the 35 FLE and the CV 35/2 for when I do
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

robsonj wrote:
BTW, I'm not a fan of the CV hood for the lens, I find the Haoge hoods much nicer, cheaper and more streamlined. I mainly use the hood for front element protection though in conjunction with a clear filter.

The version I have on the CV 35/2 is the Haoge LH-VM13P, really nice hood, but searching now, it seems to either be hard to find or doubled in price, I paid $44.99.


Thanks for the samples! Lovely shots.
I've just ordered the CV 35/2 Ultron and can't wait to try it out.



Aug 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM
imagesfromobjects
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


That person was me!

I'd say that it is DEFINITELY worth checking out. Super sharp on film, nice rendering wide open up close. Does "ok" on (Sony and Sigma) digital, but has some color shading. The size makes it well worth the tradeoff.

I'm currently having my Sigma fp modified by Kolari, but I would be curious to see how it does on a digital M.

d.s. wrote:
Images characteristics of the Skopars seem consistent across the line (neutral across the board, vignetting because of the small front element, a bit of astigmatism wide open).

There was a person on here who sold their C-Biogon for it, and gave it nearly as high of praise. That, in my book, would be enough to try it out--especially at half the C's cost.




Aug 17, 2020 at 11:41 AM
imagesfromobjects
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?



I don't necessarily see it that way. Stopped down to f/8, the Skopar 35 is close to a "reference lens" level. Considering that I use it for a carry-everwhere lens, zone focused on my Leica M6, it becomes almost a point and shoot. When I want more character, I use the Nokton 40 wide open.
Takira71A wrote:
That was not a problem at all Fred (glad to be of some assistance).
--
The Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f/2 Aspherical will definitely render quite differently to the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm f/2.5 P II Lens:

https://beersandcameras.com/journal/2019/3/20/voigtlander-35mm-f2-ultron-review
https://cosmotographer.com/2020/02/25/review-voigtlander-ultron-35mm/
https://www.nickbedford.com/blog/2019/10/the-voigtlander-35mm-f2-ultron
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/05/04/the-voigtlander-35-f-2-ultron-review-vintage-perfection/

--
I have no doubt, that the Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f/2 is Technically the better 'All-around' Lens.
I.e... It is smoother, more refined, has better bokeh and less vignetting, etc. However, the Color-Skopar definitely has a lot, more 'Character'.
--
Think of the Ultron as an 'Every Day and Everywhere' Lens and the Color-Skopar as more of an alternative, 'Specialty' Lens...
With an additional and more 'distinctive' character.

"Six of
...Show more



Aug 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Wasn't the CV 35/2.5 Color-skopar designed for film instead of digital?

Regarding the CV 35/2 Ultron: Does rendering improves a stop down to f/2.8? The CV 35/1.4 II's rendering improves considerably at f/2. It pretty much matches the Zeiss 35/2 wide open. I always though it was 3 lenses in one!



Aug 17, 2020 at 02:22 PM
Jmonat7
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Fred Miranda wrote:
Wasn't the CV 35/2.5 Color-skopar designed for film instead of digital?

Regarding the CV 35/2 Ultron: Does rendering improves a stop down to f/2.8? The CV 35/1.4 II's rendering improves considerably at f/2. It pretty much matches the Zeiss 35/2 wide open. I always though it was 3 lenses in one!


My understanding is that the 35/2.5 was designed for film use and the 35/2 was most definitely designed for digital use. The 35/2.5 suffers from some corner smearing and color shifts in the corners, probably due to the shear size of the lens. Stopped down its great on a Sony mirrorless. The 35/2 performs really well on Sony cameras and I think I would rank it between the 35/1.7 and 35/1.4 but it is much closer to the 1.7. It is highly corrected, has great flare resistance, no color shifts (does have vignetting wide open though), and is very sharp wide open with a slight dip in the corners, midframe still looks nice though. I just sold mine to fund to fund some Contax lenses but loved it while I had it. Here are some 35/2 samples on an a7r:

DSC03475.jpg by Joe Monat, on Flickr

DSC03473.jpg by Joe Monat, on Flickr

_DSC3542.jpg by Joe Monat, on Flickr



Aug 17, 2020 at 03:29 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Jmonat7 wrote:
My understanding is that the 35/2.5 was designed for film use and the 35/2 was most definitely designed for digital use. The 35/2.5 suffers from some corner smearing and color shifts in the corners, probably due to the shear size of the lens. Stopped down its great on a Sony mirrorless. The 35/2 performs really well on Sony cameras and I think I would rank it between the 35/1.7 and 35/1.4 but it is much closer to the 1.7. It is highly corrected, has great flare resistance, no color shifts (does have vignetting wide open though), and is very sharp
...Show more

@Jmonat7 -- I largely agree with you, but I don't find the CV 35/2 flare resistance as great as some others, or at least it's different. Even at f8, it produces a couple sets of ring flares and very diffuse/not well defined sun stars if you push it. I like it, but other might prefer the tamer though imperfect performance of the 35 1.7 and the like. Here's a quick tripoded comparison.

@FredMiranda -- I don't really qualify the rendering as cleaning up dramatically from f2 to 2.8 like some lenses...here's a set at f2, f2.8 and f4. The DOF increases more than anything, at least with the subject about 7 feet away.





CV 35/1.7 @ f8







35/2 @ f8







original







crops




Aug 17, 2020 at 06:07 PM
Takira71A
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


imagesfromobjects wrote:
I don't necessarily see it that way. Stopped down to f/8, the Skopar 35 is close to a "reference lens" level...


It should be noted, that the OP was not originally asking about f/8; but rather how the CV Color-Skopar and Ultron differ 'wide-open'.
Also, the OP already has a 'Reference' quality 35mm Lens (in the Voigtlander 35/1.2 III).

Therefore, it is difficult to know where his preferences may lie.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks guys...and @Takira71A@ for the review links.

I'm torn between the 35/2.5 Skopar and the newer CV 35/2 Ultron. The latter seems even smaller than my CV 21/3.5 Color-Skopar but not quite pancake size.
Wondering how they differ wide open. From what I've read the CV 35/2 Ultron performs better off-axis but how would they compare rendering-wise?


By f/8, almost all 'Modern day' 35mm F.L. Lenses are very well corrected...
And 'said' differences between respective lenses -- Will be greatly diminished (at that small Aperture).
--
Just FYI... I Really like the Colar-Skopar also.

Is it going to be the best choice for the OP and his shooting style and choice of subject matter?
Only he can decide that very important question.






Aug 17, 2020 at 07:26 PM
imagesfromobjects
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Yes, I was responding to the initial post re: any input on rendering.

I'll try to dig up some shots with the Skopar 35/2.5 wide open on digital, which will be the stock Sony a7S or Sigma fp, neither of which is really optimized for this lens in any way. I never saw any "smearing", but there was some color shading and a fair amount of field curvature. I rather like the rendering wide open - I've also used the lens for quite a bit of video. It gets some "funky" bokeh at around 3m,but it's just lovely up close.

It would take someone testing it on a digital M or Kolari-modded [insert brand] camera to see if the performance is there. I suspect, just by how well it does on a stock Sony/Sigma sensor that it would do well enough to justify using it for some applications, especially considering the size.



Takira71A wrote:
It should be noted, that the OP was not originally asking about f/8; but rather how the CV Color-Skopar and Ultron differ 'wide-open'.
Also, the OP already has a 'Reference' quality 35mm Lens (in the Voigtlander 35/1.2 III).

Therefore, it is difficult to know where his preferences may lie.

By f/8, almost all 'Modern day' 35mm F.L. Lenses are very well corrected...
And 'said' differences between respective lenses -- Will be greatly diminished (at that small Aperture).
--
Just FYI... I Really like the Colar-Skopar also.

Is it going to be the best choice for the OP and his shooting style
...Show more



Aug 17, 2020 at 08:56 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Takira71A
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


@imagesfromobjects... Agreed!

If it were my decision...  I would definitely go with the Color-Skopar.
When, originally posting the URL Review Links for it, I was extremely impressed with what I saw.

I really like how it renders for both 'Street' and also B&W Photography. In my opinion (and others of course may see it differently)...
It has oodles of character -- When used at 'Wider' Apertures. It is not just another boring, clinical type lens.
--
For what it sells for...
I think that the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm f/2.5 P II Lens is 'A Steal of a Deal!'



Aug 17, 2020 at 09:07 PM
imagesfromobjects
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Ok, here are a bunch of uncropped shots from the Skopar 35/2.5 on Sigma fp. Most were wide open, the Mercedes is at f/8. Not "portfolio" material, just a bunch of snaps and quarantine outings (yaaaayyyyy) but here ya go:


CV Skopar 35/2.5 on digital


^Google Drive folder



Aug 17, 2020 at 09:53 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


imagesfromobjects wrote:
That person was me!

I'd say that it is DEFINITELY worth checking out. Super sharp on film, nice rendering wide open up close. Does "ok" on (Sony and Sigma) digital, but has some color shading. The size makes it well worth the tradeoff.

I'm currently having my Sigma fp modified by Kolari, but I would be curious to see how it does on a digital M.



And the person that traded him was me. And if I had to do it again.... I'd do it again. As good (and small) as the VM 35/2.5 C-S is, the 35/2.8 C-B is truly incredible, well worth the extra price IMO... Which at current used prices isn't really a huge amount.

(I've tried it on the A7R III, but primarily used on the M6 & M 240)



Aug 17, 2020 at 10:55 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Good work on this this thread guys—it’s informative, warm and engaging with a diversity of thoughts.


Aug 17, 2020 at 11:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


nehemiahphoto wrote:
@Jmonat7@ -- I largely agree with you, but I don't find the CV 35/2 flare resistance as great as some others, or at least it's different. Even at f8, it produces a couple sets of ring flares and very diffuse/not well defined sun stars if you push it. I like it, but other might prefer the tamer though imperfect performance of the 35 1.7 and the like. Here's a quick tripoded comparison.

@FredMiranda@ -- I don't really qualify the rendering as cleaning up dramatically from f2 to 2.8 like some lenses...here's a set at f2, f2.8 and f4. The DOF increases
...Show more

Thanks for this. I agree, except for DOF, rendering is pretty consistent when stopping down.



Aug 18, 2020 at 12:40 AM
imagesfromobjects
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


Oh no question the C Biogon 35/2.8 is a better lens. I can honestly say that it's one of the best lenses I've ever used, by just about every metric. You still using it?

You may recall that my reason for wanting to trade had nothing to do with the quality of the C Biogon - I got it bundled, along with a few other lenses and accessories, with a Leica M6. Even though I got an amazing deal, I was still out of my depth financially, so I knew I'd have to sell something. I actually *really* wanted to keep the lens, but I wanted a "beater" 35mm that I could take to the beach and out in harsh conditions without worrying about keeping it pristine, and the Zeiss was not that lens. I'd been curious about the Skopar 35mm, so I'm glad we did the swap. It's pretty much bolted to the M6 now, having exceeded all my expectations for how it would perform, as well as how small it is paired with a svelte camera.

My Sigma fp is currently being used as a test subject for an Ultra Thin sensor mod by Kolari, so I look forward to seeing how the Skopar does when I get my digital back. The biggest issue is field curvature - which the C Biogon also shows on digital - but, as you can see by the examples I posted, it's sharp across the frame with no smearing at f/8.

Nice running into you in this thread!!

helimat wrote:
And the person that traded him was me. And if I had to do it again.... I'd do it again. As good (and small) as the VM 35/2.5 C-S is, the 35/2.8 C-B is truly incredible, well worth the extra price IMO... Which at current used prices isn't really a huge amount.

(I've tried it on the A7R III, but primarily used on the M6 & M 240)




Aug 18, 2020 at 04:40 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?




imagesfromobjects wrote:
That person was me!


Oh hi!!



Aug 18, 2020 at 07:40 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


The exit pupil of the C-Biogon may weigh down its perfomance on digital cameras. If not, and if the f/2 Ultron doesn't qork out for you, Fred, it may be the best 35mm lens you ever try on an M.


Aug 18, 2020 at 07:45 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


imagesfromobjects wrote:
Oh no question the C Biogon 35/2.8 is a better lens. I can honestly say that it's one of the best lenses I've ever used, by just about every metric. You still using it?

You may recall that my reason for wanting to trade had nothing to do with the quality of the C Biogon - I got it bundled, along with a few other lenses and accessories, with a Leica M6. Even though I got an amazing deal, I was still out of my depth financially, so I knew I'd have to sell something. I actually *really* wanted to
...Show more

Nice running into you too!

Yes, still using it, was glued to my M6 at first, now it's on my M 240 a heck of a lot. I'd like to try it on a M10 next....

I'm glad that the 35/2.5 CS is working out so well for you... I certainly had no issues with it. This is was of those trades where everybody walked away happy



Aug 18, 2020 at 07:58 PM
robsonj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Any love for the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 PII pancake?


So, wadya think, I assume you have it now?

Fred Miranda wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Thanks for the samples! Lovely shots.
I've just ordered the CV 35/2 Ultron and can't wait to try it out.





Aug 25, 2020 at 11:32 AM
1              3              10       11       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              10       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.