Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2019 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Grampy wrote:
I am also having a serious problem with very soft images using the EOS R and the 400 F4 DO V2. I cannot get a crisp image. I don't know if its a lens issue or the fact that I am using the EF lens with the $99 Canon adapter. I talked to Canon and sent them images. I tried their suggestions of cleaning the contacts, switching modes, manual focus etc. to no avail, so I think it must be the lens. There is no micro adjustment with mirrorless cameras I'm told. Any suggestions. I'm going to ask a friend
...Show more

You may have a lens issue. My DO II is sharp on the R and R5. Here is one even with the 2x. I used both the The basic adapter and the control ring adapter with no difference in quality.

Red-bellied Woodpecker by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Strait lens on the R5

Black capped Chickadee by A & R Photography, on Flickr

With the 2x on the R5

Great Egret (400mm DO II) by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:46 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I actually had a look back at the images I took with the 400DOII when I tried it a couple weeks ago on the R5. I remember a lot of them being slightly soft and at the time I thought it was because of atmosphere over the water I was shooting. But then I noticed that latter shots with the 600III when if anything there would have been more heat haze because it was another hour later, were tack sharp. I hadn't really clued in until I read this thread again. But I think I may have been experiencing what you guys are. I was just shooting a super easy Canada goose and some gulls just floating by me. Later on I was shooting quicker moving Yellowlegs with the 600 and no issues.

Hmmmmm....

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:54 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:
I actually had a look back at the images I took with the 400DOII when I tried it a couple weeks ago on the R5. I remember a lot of them being slightly soft and at the time I thought it was because of atmosphere over the water I was shooting. But then I noticed that latter shots with the 600III when if anything there would have been more heat haze because it was another hour later, were tack sharp. I hadn't really clued in until I read this thread again. But I think I may have been experiencing what
...Show more

Interesting, did you do static work too? Just flight soft or both static and flight soft?

Sep 12, 2020 at 01:08 PM
armd
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

It's difficult to compare the 600 is III to anything... when I received one from CPS and compared it to my 500 IS II, I was blown away by the differences. The price tag did that as well.

Sep 12, 2020 at 03:08 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Just static. Basically a goose and a gull slowly drifting by in the creek out to the ocean.

RobAmy wrote:
Interesting, did you do static work too? Just flight soft or both static and flight soft?

Sep 12, 2020 at 03:14 PM
Khatgs

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Hello guys,

I just got news from Canon CPS france this day.

Firmware is still on the way and will be release in november.. There will be an official news about it.

They will contact me directly when firmware will be up..

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I tried the 400 DO II with 2XIII on my R6 and noticed the image jumping and somewhat soft images too

I will anxiously await the FW update

Thank you for this info.

Khatgs wrote:
Hello guys,

I just got news from Canon CPS france this day.

Firmware is still on the way and will be release in november.. There will be an official news about it.

They will contact me directly when firmware will be up..

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:05 AM
stalderm

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

As promised, Canon has released a new firmware for the 400 DO II lens! I will shortly try it out today.

Release notes
"Firmware Version 1.0.9 incorporates the following fix.

Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases, the IS mechanism may cause the image to jump.

Firmware Version 1.0.9 is for lenses with Firmware Version 1.0.8 or earlier. If the lens' firmware is already Version 1.0.9, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The lens' firmware version can be checked from the camera's menu."

Nov 05, 2020 at 02:02 AM
Khatgs

p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Just saw it, finally..

https://www.canon.fr/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/ef_lenses/is/ef_400mm_f4_do_is_ii_usm.html?type=firmware

😇😇

Nov 05, 2020 at 04:52 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

highdesertmesa wrote:
All I know is I will be thankful to everyone who beta tests the R5 for the first year. It may be the second generation R, but it's going to be first generation R IBIS Ė†add to that the firmware controlling it all has to span two mount protocols and lens types and work seamlessly with IS.

I won't be surprised if IBIS on the R5 is an either-or proposition for EF lenses Ė either you choose IBIS or IS but you don't get both working in tandem.

Interesting historical comment. We got both, but the either or proposition turned out to be that we can't use one or the other on it's own; it's all or nothing. How ironic.

Edited on Nov 05, 2020 at 05:28 AM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2020 at 05:21 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stalderm wrote:
As promised, Canon has released a new firmware for the 400 DO II lens! I will shortly try it out today.

Release notes

Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases, the IS mechanism may cause the image to jump.

Firmware Version 1.0.9 is for lenses with Firmware Version 1.0.8 or earlier. If the lens' firmware is already Version 1.0.9, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Suggestion: You may want to post a separate topic about the firmware update, so other owners will see it and it won't be buried in this thread. I think it would help if it's on it's own. I would post it, but I don't own the lens and you or others who have the lens could better explain the issue and why there's an update.

Just One Man's Opinion...

Edited on Nov 05, 2020 at 08:51 AM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2020 at 05:27 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stalderm wrote:

Release notes

Nice. It was a very jarring occurrence on the 400DOII. It still happens on the 100-500 though but it isn't as violent. I felt that it was so violent that if one had it happen numerous times on the 400DOII that it would eventually do permanent damage to the IS system.

Nov 05, 2020 at 08:12 AM
Khatgs

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:
Nice. It was a very jarring occurrence on the 400DOII. It still happens on the 100-500 though but it isn't as violent. I felt that it was so violent that if one had it happen numerous times on the 400DOII that it would eventually do permanent damage to the IS system.

What do you think about the 100-500 instead of the 400 DO ? (iQ, Af, etc..)

Nov 06, 2020 at 07:25 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

Khatgs wrote:
What do you think about the 100-500 instead of the 400 DO ? (iQ, Af, etc..)

It is a good lens, good IQ, fast and accurate focus. Lighter weight so better balanced as you donít have an adapter nor giant EF TCs involved. However It is just too slow in aperture for gloomy days. Iím still strongly considering picking up the 400DOII. Going to be doing another demo of it today and then decide if I buy it or not. I just wasnít confident with the DO and 2xTC on R5. But a friend is using that combo now and is getting good results. So Iím optimistic as I had no issues with the 2xTC on my 5DIV and A9.

Nov 06, 2020 at 09:24 AM
cpe1991
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:
It is a good lens, good IQ, fast and accurate focus. Lighter weight so better balanced as you donít have an adapter nor giant EF TCs involved. However It is just too slow in aperture for gloomy days. Iím still strongly considering picking up the 400DOII. Going to be doing another demo of it today and then decide if I buy it or not. I just wasnít confident with the DO and 2xTC on R5. But a friend is using that combo now and is getting good results. So Iím optimistic as I had no issues with the 2xTC on
...Show more
Looking forward to your feedback as I keep getting tempted. The 100-400mm II is performing so well on the R5, even with a 2xTC, that I should hold my horses and hope Canon will come out with an RF that can match the 500mm PF whose weight and size I much prefer over my sold DO II.

Nov 06, 2020 at 11:28 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stalderm wrote:

. . .

Thank you for the heads up

Nov 06, 2020 at 12:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

I mentioned this in the other FW thread but wanted to add here. I am currently borrowing two different 400DOII lenses right now. Don't ask me why

The first already had the new FW when I borrowed it on Friday. I've had no IS clunks/jumps shooting it for 3 days now. I borrowed the 2nd copy just this afternoon. It hadn't had the FW yet. Within a minute of shooting I had my first clunk and a number after that. I updated FW when I got home and after that there was no more IS jump/clunking.

Nov 08, 2020 at 07:03 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

arbitrage wrote:
I updated FW when I got home and after that there was no more IS jump/clunking.

Let me get this straight: You're upgrading the FW on borrowed equipment? Let me write down not to lend you any gear

Nov 08, 2020 at 08:03 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

stanj wrote:
Let me get this straight: You're upgrading the FW on borrowed equipment? Let me write down not to lend you any gear

Yes, the older gentleman I borrowed it from asked me to do it as he had never done a lens FW update before. Pius did his own FW update before giving me the lens.

If I hadn't updated the FW on the guys' lens I'm pretty sure it would be into CPS getting a new IS unit by end of day. The thing was clunking every 5 mins panning BIF.

Nov 08, 2020 at 08:40 PM
David Garcia
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · EOS-R with 400mm f4DOII. Compromised IS functionality?

There is a new firmware release for the 400 F4 DO ll and I believe it addresses your jumpy issue.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/lenses/ef/super-telephoto/ef-400mm-f-4-do-is-ii-usm?subtab=downloads-firmware

Nov 08, 2020 at 08:54 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.