New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              53              55       56       57       end

Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.54 #1 · p.54 #1 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

highdesertmesa wrote:
I never shot any samples worth posting. I mostly evaluated while looking at the LCD and panning around in the direction an indirect light source from a window. I was hoping the multicoatings on the Rigid version would reduce the central flare when stopped down, but it appeared to only remove the blue/purple tint of the flare. The higher contrast images due to the multicoatings seemed to make the flare stand out more. I found the central flare objectionable by f/5.6. I returned it mainly due to the fact that the rangefinder patch wouldn't reach infinity when the lens was
...Show more

I have grown to appreciate the violet hue flare that comes from the original SP2. While I generally try to avoid flare, I have become used to it when it does appear.

Apr 10, 2024 at 09:58 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.54 #2 · p.54 #2 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have grown to appreciate the violet hue flare that comes from the original SP2. While I generally try to avoid flare, I have become used to it when it does appear.

Funny you say that, me too. That was a bit of a letdown with the Rigid version. Firstly, I hoped there would be no flare, but when there was, the fact that the flare was more neutral made it less appealing. Even on the M11M it was less appealing, perhaps because the flare was no longer be affected by color filters in the same way.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:12 PM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.54 #3 · p.54 #3 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

highdesertmesa wrote:
Funny you say that, me too. That was a bit of a letdown with the Rigid version. Firstly, I hoped there would be no flare, but when there was, the fact that the flare was more neutral made it less appealing. Even on the M11M it was less appealing, perhaps because the flare was no longer be affected by color filters in the same way.

I would join that appreciation club, that blue veil is an interesting signature of the lens, since it happens with strong lights coming from the side or front, itís nice to be able to decide where to put it in the frame, when covering backlit objects it gives a colored low contrast limited range zone that mimics film or gradings, the blue teint is blueish on the warm side curiously and it gives these zones of shadows a pleasant rendering.

Apr 11, 2024 at 08:09 AM
Thom

Upload & Sell: Off
p.54 #4 · p.54 #4 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

All, though I've done a lot of reading on these and my first inclination is to go for the LLL Elcan but the Voightlander 50 f/2/0 APO, 50 f/1.2 and 50/1.5 II are all close seconds. Since my only M lenses are the LLL 35 2.0 and Voightlander 75/1.5 I am inclined to the Elcan due to size and I am impressed with the IQ and build quality of my 35 8 Element. Questions running thru my mind: Is the IQ of the APO worth the size and cost and will it be too "clinical?" Is the the 1.2's IQ "better" than the Elcan despite the cost in size and weight? Is the 1.5 II the best compromise in IQ/size/build-quality? Any thoughts most appreciated!

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:52 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.54 #5 · p.54 #5 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Thom wrote:
All, though I've done a lot of reading on these and my first inclination is to go for the LLL Elcan but the Voightlander 50 f/2/0 APO, 50 f/1.2 and 50/1.5 II are all close seconds. Since my only M lenses are the LLL 35 2.0 and Voightlander 75/1.5 I am inclined to the Elcan due to size and I am impressed with the IQ and build quality of my 35 8 Element. Questions running thru my mind: Is the IQ of the APO worth the size and cost and will it be too "clinical?" Is the the 1.2's IQ
...Show more

The Elcan will show more aberrations compared to the APO, which some may argue is extremely well corrected while remaining compact. Therefore, the LLL will show more character and be less clinical.

There are two new Cosina lenses to consider that are about to be released. The CV 50/2.2 (which is even smaller than the LLL Elcan) and the CV 50/3.5 APO-Lanthar, which will be even more compact (though slower) and as well-corrected as possible.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:58 AM
Thom

p.54 #6 · p.54 #6 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Thanks, Fred. I guess there are times one needs more of one or the other, sheesh. So many lenses; so little time.

And thanks for the heads-up on the other CV lenses.

Oh, and I did get Leica to fix the wifi chip in my M10-R and now works great with Leica Sync. Thanks again for your help!

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:58 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.54 #7 · p.54 #7 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Thom wrote:
Thanks, Fred. I guess there are times one needs more of one or the other, sheesh. So many lenses; so little time.

And thanks for the heads-up on the other CV lenses.

Oh, and I did get Leica to fix the wifi chip in my M10-R and now works great with Leica Sync. Thanks again for your help!

Great to hear. I use the Leica Sync app every day. Something the M11 can't do.
I believe the M10 series cameras had issues with the Wi-Fi chip. I saw two of them having this problem myself. It was the first thing I tested when I got my new M10-R BP.

Apr 11, 2024 at 01:17 PM
el.mediocre

p.54 #8 · p.54 #8 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

For those of you with the 50mm Elcan -- do you feel like its worth the $900 that it is currently going for?

I'm really liking the examples provided in this thread and am seriously thinking of picking one up, but the current going rate is not far away from a used 50mm Summicron and I can't help but wonder if that might be a better choice for everyday use.

Some more context: I shoot mostly on film, both color and B&W. Critical sharpness isn't super important to me as long as I like the rendering (which I do of both the Elcan and the 35mm 8e.)

Apr 12, 2024 at 06:38 PM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.54 #9 · p.54 #9 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

el.mediocre wrote:
For those of you with the 50mm Elcan -- do you feel like its worth the $900 that it is currently going for?

I'm really liking the examples provided in this thread and am seriously thinking of picking one up, but the current going rate is not far away from a used 50mm Summicron and I can't help but wonder if that might be a better choice for everyday use.

Some more context: I shoot mostly on film, both color and B&W. Critical sharpness isn't super important to me as long as I like the rendering (which I do of both the
...Show more

Same, I ponder about the Elcan, I fear it might be redundant with my Panchro, but still the rendering is a bit different but is it enough.
Regarding the LLL 8 elements, I ponder too, rewatching Fredís comparison with the Summilux and the Voigtlander 35mm 1.4, I fail to see for sure the value of the LLL over the Voigtlander, for me the flare could give an edge to the LLL but Iím curious to know about LLL 35mmís owners what makes for them that lens a better choice than the Voigtlander in terms of rendering.
I donít dish the lens, I find it quite appealing but sometimes while you own a lens you have so many shots that you know more what it can do and what you like about it.

Apr 13, 2024 at 02:09 PM
_jim_
• •
p.54 #10 · p.54 #10 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Sonnar-7 wrote:
Same, I ponder about the Elcan, I fear it might be redundant with my Panchro, but still the rendering is a bit different but is it enough.
Regarding the LLL 8 elements, I ponder too, rewatching Fredís comparison with the Summilux and the Voigtlander 35mm 1.4, I fail to see for sure the value of the LLL over the Voigtlander, for me the flare could give an edge to the LLL but Iím curious to know about LLL 35mmís owners what makes for them that lens a better choice than the Voigtlander in terms of rendering.
I donít dish the lens,
...Show more

The reasons for the 'Elcan' over the SPII:
1. The 'Elcan' is small.
2. The 'Elcan' has better ergonomics.
3. The 'Elcan' has character...but less overt character than the SPII at f/2 (this a plus for me, but your mileage may vary).

The reasons for the 8-Element over the 35/1.4 Nokton:
1. The 8-Element has nearly zero geometric distortion.
2. The 8-Element has less focus shift.
3. The 8-Element has a nicer feeling focus tab (it fits my finger better...the Nokton tab is too small/shallow).
4. The 8-Element has lower contrast at f/2.

Is the 8-Element worth the money over the Nokton? Yes, no, not really, but yes. It's different enough. It's well made (they both are). This is a fun and silly hobby. If you can afford to have both, get both. If you can only afford one, either will make you happy.

Is the 'Elcan' worth buying over a vintage 'Cron? Same answer as above.

Apr 15, 2024 at 04:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.54 #11 · p.54 #11 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

_jim_ wrote:
The reasons for the 'Elcan' over the SPII:
1. The 'Elcan' is small.
2. The 'Elcan' has better ergonomics.
3. The 'Elcan' has character...but less overt character than the SPII at f/2 (this a plus for me, but your mileage may vary).

The reasons for the 8-Element over the 35/1.4 Nokton:
1. The 8-Element has nearly zero geometric distortion.
2. The 8-Element has less focus shift.
3. The 8-Element has a nicer feeling focus tab (it fits my finger better...the Nokton tab is too small/shallow).
4. The 8-Element has lower contrast at f/2.

Is the 8-Element worth the money over the Nokton? Yes, no, not really, but yes. It's
...Show more

I would add:

Ė SPII character (glow) at f/2 doesn't show up as a dominant image feature unless the subject is at mid distance or further.
Ė LLL version of the 8-element has excellent contrast and color saturation. It's the original Leica 8-element that will have lower contrast and more subdued color versus the Nokton.

Apr 15, 2024 at 05:17 PM
_jim_
• •
p.54 #12 · p.54 #12 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

highdesertmesa wrote:
I would add:

Ė SPII character (glow) at f/2 doesn't show up as a dominant image feature unless the subject is at mid distance or further.
Ė LLL version of the 8-element has excellent contrast and color saturation. It's the original Leica 8-element that will have lower contrast and more subdued color versus the Nokton.

My 8-Element is lower contrast vs my SC Nokton at wider apertures - especially at f/2. I don't view this as a negative. The jump between f/2 and f/2.8 is considerable, though.

I forgot to add the 8-Element is sharper across the frame vs. the Nokton, but the Nokton is sharper/more contrasty at dead center at f/2.

Apr 15, 2024 at 05:53 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.54 #13 · p.54 #13 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

_jim_ wrote:
My 8-Element is lower contrast vs my SC Nokton at wider apertures - especially at f/2. I don't view this as a negative. The jump between f/2 and f/2.8 is considerable, though.

I forgot to add the 8-Element is sharper across the frame vs. the Nokton, but the Nokton is sharper/more contrasty at dead center at f/2.

What version is your LLL 8E? I wonder if there were coatings changes between versions. Mine was the collapsable version that had the built-in UV filter.

Apr 15, 2024 at 06:19 PM
_jim_
• •
p.54 #14 · p.54 #14 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

highdesertmesa wrote:
What version is your LLL 8E? I wonder if there were coatings changes between versions. Mine was the collapsable version that had the built-in UV filter.

V7LC, black paint, #274

Apr 15, 2024 at 07:04 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.54 #15 · p.54 #15 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

_jim_ wrote:
V7LC, black paint, #274

That should be the same production timeframe as my collapsable version. I don't particularly remember being struck by the color/contrast of the MC Nokton I tried, but I no longer have either of them to revisit.

LLL 8E at f/2 with a bump to contrast (14) & saturation (26) in C1

Apr 15, 2024 at 08:03 PM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.54 #16 · p.54 #16 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

I had not used the Panchro for a while, still a great lens.

Light Lens Lab Speed Panchro II 50mm f2 & Nikon Zf

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:21 AM
Sonnar-7
• •
p.54 #17 · p.54 #17 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Btw, what happened to their 35mm 1.4? Was it not on the verge to be released?
Iím on the market for a 35mm.

Apr 18, 2024 at 02:42 PM
el.mediocre

p.54 #18 · p.54 #18 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

highdesertmesa wrote:
I would add:

These are both very helpful, thanks.

What do you both believe are the selling points for the SPII (or the Rigid rehousing) over the Elcan?

Apr 18, 2024 at 04:20 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.54 #19 · p.54 #19 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

el.mediocre wrote:
These are both very helpful, thanks.

What do you both believe are the selling points for the SPII (or the Rigid rehousing) over the Elcan?

What the SPII has over Elcan:
Ė Glow at f/2 at mid-distance and further.
Ė Sharp at f/2 off center at any distance. Elcan is soft away from the center at f/2.

Apr 18, 2024 at 05:01 PM
_jim_
• •
p.54 #20 · p.54 #20 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Sonnar-7 wrote:
Btw, what happened to their 35mm 1.4? Was it not on the verge to be released?
Iím on the market for a 35mm.

I would love one, too.

Judging from the one english language review of the prototype...it wasn't quite ready for prime time (the review copy didn't reach infinity focus and LLL were planning on further tweaking the design to work better with digital sensors). So, sounds like it might be a while before the final version goes into production.

That being said, the review isn't particularly noteworthy or helpful (as it is neither overtly technical or artful). I wish that David (from LLL) would send review copies to people like Fred.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:25 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.