FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              57       58       end

Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

derKoekje wrote:
Anyone know the Chinese thread or site where you can place? I prefer to buy within China itself. Too bad I missed the deadline, I should have decided on going Leica earlier.

The first batch is sold out already so I think you need to follow the thread on rangefinderforum.com to find out when they start to take orders for the second one. And I have not seen anything about ordering directly from China

Jan 18, 2020 at 03:52 PM
derKoekje
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Thanks. Yeah, hope the second one still has a reasonable price.

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Just an update that this project is still alive, has survived Covid-19 and some photographers outside of China have recently received their orders. Not sure where I stand in the fulfillment list, but look forward to receiving it eventually.

Jun 27, 2020 at 01:29 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

How do they replicate the glass? If they can't, the whole optical design falls apart. It might be still a very interesting lens, but it won't be a replica.

Jun 27, 2020 at 05:05 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

realVivek wrote:
V1 was superseded by the V2, 3 and the”bokeh king” 4. All got replaced by the Asph versions with the latest being suitable for the digital Ms.

Is the copy optimized for the Sony cams?

Version 4 works extremely well on my A7R - main reason why I bought this version and NOT the newer ASPH version. The 35/2 ASPH does not work well at all on Sony sensors - I made this error first by ordering it. Returned it after seeing how bad it performs on the A7R and bought for a similar price the version 4 (which is not a bokeh king either!). I read version 3 also works very well on Sony sensors but have no personal experience with it.

Jun 27, 2020 at 09:58 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

AcuteShadows wrote:
How do they replicate the glass? If they can't, the whole optical design falls apart. It might be still a very interesting lens, but it won't be a replica.

Answers are in the RFF thread.

From what I recall, they disassembled a couple Cron v1 8Es to make detailed measurements and may even have had each element's glass properties and coatings analyzed. They were also able to source the required flint glass type for the original optical formula, at least for the first batch of 500.

From the test/comparison images posted by several who have been able to try the replica prototypes against the original, it appears to be a very close copy, both physically and optically, in respect to sharpness, SA, vignetting, flare, rendering, etc.

From my point of view, I'm primarily interested in the faithfulness of the replica's optical rendering to the original, but it doesn't have to be 100% exactly the same (I don't think it can be). The prototype test photos and those from early recipients haven't raised any doubts.

For $500, I'm willing to take the chance at a lens I can use and whose optical characteristics I can enjoy without paying a collector's premium for the original.

Apparently their next replica project will be the 50/1.2 Noctilux... and hopefully there will be more to follow.

Along similar lines, this has to a degree inspired another project. This time a revamp of the 1930s 50/2 Sonnar by Ludwig Bertele. But it sounds like this one will be slightly less faithful to the original (modern coatings, etc.)

More info here: https://skyllaney.com/2020/04/06/the-50mm-f-2-bertele/

An interview about the project: https://www.35mmc.com/27/04/2020/bringing-a-new-m-mount-sonnar-lens-to-market-an-interview-with-chris-andreyo-skyllaney-opto-mechanics/

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:10 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

rscheffler wrote:
Answers are in the RFF thread.

From what I recall, they disassembled a couple Cron v1 8Es to make detailed measurements and may even have had each element's glass properties and coatings analyzed. They were also able to source the required flint glass type for the original optical formula, at least for the first batch of 500.

From the test/comparison images posted by several who have been able to try the replica prototypes against the original, it appears to be a very close copy, both physically and optically, in respect to sharpness, SA, vignetting, flare, rendering, etc.

From my point of view,
...Show more

It might be the same, an equally good, or even, dending on your preferences, improved version of the original lens. I just wouldn't buy it without looking closely at how it actually renders.

Jun 27, 2020 at 02:03 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

I wouldn't either.

The comparison images somewhere in the middle range of RFF thread were sufficiently reassuring for me to make the commitment.

Jun 27, 2020 at 03:41 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Just an update that I received request for payment from the company's middleman (Kevin on the RFF thread). Apparently my copy is in the final production stages, so maybe I'll have it in about a month or so.

Quite a few in the RFF thread have already receive their lenses and seem to be happy. The last number of pages in that thread have sample photos.

Sep 27, 2020 at 09:54 AM
imagesfromobjects
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Exciting!

Are you going to do a write-up? Always enjoy your take.

rscheffler wrote:
Just an update that I received request for payment from the company's middleman (Kevin on the RFF thread). Apparently my copy is in the final production stages, so maybe I'll have it in about a month or so.

Quite a few in the RFF thread have already receive their lenses and seem to be happy. The last number of pages in that thread have sample photos.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

I could, though there is already some decent commentary about the replica lens in the long RFF thread, but it is scattered.

I have no experience with the Cron V1, nor access to one, so it won't be a comparison. Likely it would just be relative to my use on an M240 and a bunch of modern glass, though I do have a little used 50 Cron Rigid to pair it with now.

Look for Ashwin Rao's posts around page 90 in the RFF thread for some of his comparison photos against the original on an M9 Monochrom. The differences are subtle. They're saying the original has faster focus fall off and to my eyes the replica has slightly smoother wide open distant background rendering when the subject is at about the distance for a waist up photo.

Sep 27, 2020 at 02:07 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Stumbled across a write up about the replica on a Japanese blog. Here's the original. I tried to link a Google Translate version, but it didn't work for some reason...

Oct 07, 2020 at 12:34 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Finally! My lens is now ready and will be shipped tomorrow.

Oct 30, 2020 at 09:42 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Great! When did you pay for it?

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:06 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

rscheffler wrote:
Great! When did you pay for it?

Mid September so it's been a while.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:58 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

That is also when I paid.... hopefully mine will be soon, too!

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM
genji
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

rscheffler wrote:
I have no experience with the Cron V1, nor access to one, so it won't be a comparison. Likely it would just be relative to my use on an M240 and a bunch of modern glass, though I do have a little used 50 Cron Rigid to pair it with now.

The 50 Cron Rigid is my favourite lens now. I love the way it renders on the M246. I like it so much that I picked up a 50 Cron DR to use with my M4. If I could have only one 50mm M-mount lens I’d be hard pressed to choose between the Cron Rigid and the Lux 50 ASPH.

Oct 31, 2020 at 05:03 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

genji wrote:
The 50 Cron Rigid is my favourite lens now. I love the way it renders on the M246. I like it so much that I picked up a 50 Cron DR to use with my M4. If I could have only one 50mm M-mount lens I’d be hard pressed to choose between the Cron Rigid and the Lux 50 ASPH.

I have the DR and I'm not keen on the ergos. If you are using the correct Leica hood, there is very little room to fit your fingers to turn the aperture ring. The proximity of the lens hood always gets in the way.
Build quality is amazing - better than the 50 Asph- but if I had to choose it's the 50 Asph in a heartbeat. I also prefer the 50 Cron V5.

Nov 01, 2020 at 01:08 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Just got my DHL tracking info, so should have it in a few days.

Nov 01, 2020 at 02:01 PM
genji
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Light Lens Lab (LLL) replica lenses discussion & image thread

Desmolicious wrote:
I have the DR and I'm not keen on the ergos. If you are using the correct Leica hood, there is very little room to fit your fingers to turn the aperture ring. The proximity of the lens hood always gets in the way.
Build quality is amazing - better than the 50 Asph- but if I had to choose it's the 50 Asph in a heartbeat. I also prefer the 50 Cron V5.

I have both the IROOA and 12585 hoods and don't have any difficulty changing the aperture with either.

Nov 02, 2020 at 03:11 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.