Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)
Nikon just released the new Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S mirrorless lens.

Pre-order your today:

B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama ($796.95)

Main specs:
  1. Focal Length 85mm
  2. Maximum Aperture f/1.8
  3. Minimum Aperture f/16
  4. Lens Mount Nikon Z
  5. Format Compatibility Full-Frame
  6. Angle of View 28į 30'
  7. Maximum Magnification 0.12x
  8. Minimum Focus Distance 2.62' / 80 cm
  9. Optical Design 12 Elements in 8 Groups
  10. Diaphragm Blades 9, Rounded
  11. Focus Type Autofocus
  12. Image Stabilization None
  13. Filter Size 67 mm (Front)
  14. Dimensions (Ý x L) 2.95 x 3.90" / 75 x 99 mm
  15. Weight 1.03 lb / 470 g

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:11 PM
BPsmith511
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2661937334/nikon-s-nikkor-z-85mm-f1-8-s-to-ship-in-september

Looks like a honker, I'm sure it will perform great. $800 is about what I expected, if the performance is at their stated target. I'm sure some will balk at the price but it's not bad. Looking forward to more releases for the Z system!

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:11 PM
umsl12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

Great! I'm looking for this lens after having 35S and 50S.

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:30 PM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

Nikonís sample images seem to be aimed at highlighting the smoothness of the bokeh and relative lack of longitudinal CA - together with smooth transitions between the focus plane and oof bokeh.

http://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-85mm-f%252f1.8-s.html?cid=img_en_ca:EML:MKT:7302019:Announcement:19-185-WWA-R16520%20EnCA:na:btn:learnmore&ET_CID=2926209&ET_RID=487615532&SC_ID=0031o00001evftaAAA

The images also seem to demonstrate somewhat less off-axis cat-eye blur, so perhaps the wider mount throat is having a positive impact on other performance parameters than just sharpness.

$1119 MSRP in Canada isnít out of line with the 35 and 50 Sís.

Time and tests will tell, but it looks very promising.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:02 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

BPsmith511 wrote:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/2661937334/nikon-s-nikkor-z-85mm-f1-8-s-to-ship-in-september

Looks like a honker, I'm sure it will perform great. $800 is about what I expected, if the performance is at their stated target. I'm sure some will balk at the price but it's not bad. Looking forward to more releases for the Z system!

It better be a miraculous performer
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838798-REG/Nikon_2201_AF_S_NIKKOR_85mm_f_1_8G.html

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:05 AM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

davidrwilliams wrote:
The images also seem to demonstrate somewhat less off-axis cat-eye blur, so perhaps the wider mount throat is having a positive impact on other performance parameters than just sharpness.

To me it looks similar to the 35 and 50 S. A somewhat symmetrical cut in one axis, and the full aperture still visible in the other.

Jul 31, 2019 at 01:01 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838798-REG/Nikon_2201_AF_S_NIKKOR_85mm_f_1_8G.html

Indeed. The existing 85 1.8 G is a great lens. Super sharp and focuses very well in my experience.
And now we have another one at double the price.
And somehow Nikon, Canon, etc are wondering why these new FF mirrorless cameras are not really taking off

Problem: people are losing interest in buying the D750 and 85 1.8 for $1600 total.
Answer: let's see if they'll buy a Z6 (same sensor) and a 85 S for $2800 - yielding optically identical results.

It's lenses at 2-3x the prices of the lenses they are replacing, or using a clunky and slow-focusing adapter which is a real issue here. Even though, yes there are some minor optical improvements with some of the S lenses, which no one looking at a print will ever notice IMO.

Jul 31, 2019 at 01:06 AM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

ronno wrote:
Even though, yes there are some minor optical improvements with some of the S lenses, which no one looking at a print will ever notice IMO.

I'm fairly certain that both you and me would be quite able to make an A/B selection between the G and S in regards to CA even in a fairly small print.

Whether that truly matters in the end...

Jul 31, 2019 at 01:22 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

MayaTlab wrote:
I'm fairly certain that both you and me would be quite able to make an A/B selection between the G and S in regards to CA even in a fairly small print.

Whether that truly matters in the end...

So you donít use the CA reduction when converting raw files then? Would we need a magnifying glass to see the difference? Would it have any real impact on the final image?

They are trying to sell cameras and lenses to people who are happy using their cell phones now instead. Doubling prices is not the way to do it in my opinion. Even for a minor (easily corrected) difference in CA.

Jul 31, 2019 at 02:16 AM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

ronno wrote:
So you donít use the CA reduction when converting raw files then? Would we need a magnifying glass to see the difference? Would it have any real impact on the final image?

They are trying to sell cameras and lenses to people who are happy using their cell phones now instead. Doubling prices is not the way to do it in my opinion. Even for a minor (easily corrected) difference in CA.

Correcting LoCa in post doesn't always come for free, certainly not in regards to the 85 G's degree of it.
Besides : it also has low focus breathing and a more polyvalent AF drive and that's not something you won't notice in video.

I'll leave you to be the judge whether that's worth double but first that's the introduction price (and as we know from the other two primes it's likely to go a little down in the next few months) and second if we're bringing the smartphone generation in I doubt that the problem is a $500 vs $800 lens but a set of things quite a lot more fundamental than that (connectivity and sharing for example, among many other potential causes).

Jul 31, 2019 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

ronno wrote:
Indeed. The existing 85 1.8 G is a great lens. Super sharp and focuses very well in my experience.
And somehow Nikon, Canon, etc are wondering why these new FF mirrorless cameras are not really taking off

Problem: people are losing interest in buying the D750 and 85 1.8 for $1600 total.
Answer: let's see if they'll buy a Z6 (same sensor) and a 85 S for $2800 - yielding optically identical results.

It's lenses at 2-3x the prices of the lenses they are replacing, or using a clunky and slow-focusing adapter which
...Show more

I'm not really sure what you want Nikon to do with the current market trend. Nikon could sell the lens at what it cost them to make, I guess if that would make you happy. But it would still be much more that you're probably willing to pay anyway and Nikon would probably go broke in a very short time with that sort of sales strategy. The price of the lens reflects the cost of design, production, manufacture, marketing and overheads etc. It is what it is and it is becoming the law of diminishing returns the more high tech everything becomes. But do you really think a Z6 + 85 f1.8S will yield optically identical results as the D750 + 85 f1.8G? If so, then it isn't obviously for you and maybe you would be happy enough with a phone camera like everyone else these days. This is mainly what is driving people away from camera sales and the fact that for the majority of them use it for Facebook photos and that's it. However, for those of us that enjoy the extra resolution and overall IQ, then this lens will suit us down to the ground.

Jul 31, 2019 at 03:14 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

This is an ED lens, unlike previous 85mm Nikkors. Thus it's expected the correction of chromatic aberration is done in a better way, also the colors are likely to be more vivid. The 85/1.8G does have some LoCA and this affects the accuracy of autofocus as the system doesn't quite know which color to focus based on. The same is true of many of the older AF and AF-S Nikkors. The AF-S 105/1.4E is a lens which has fairly well-corrected LoCA and as a result it autofocuses more consistently than e.g. the 85's for F mount or the 105/2 DC. This has been my experience anyway. Since the Z 85/1.8S uses the faster communication of the Z mount, and it has a newer motor designed for use with a mirrorless camera, I would expect it to focus virtually silently, and produce better results with eye AF than adapted F mount Nikkors. The MTF is very high as well. These factors arguably justify the higher cost compared to AF-S 85/1.8G. I personally expected 1000Ä and was afraid of 1200Ä but was pleasantly surprised with the launch price. As time goes by, one can probably get $100 off the original price quite easily.

Many customers are waiting to see an adequate range of native lenses to be put together so that they can start using them. This 85mm is an important part of users' kits, as is the upcoming 70-200/2.8.

You can get better consistency of focus on the eye with mirrorless than the D750 and the mirrorless camera is quieter and less distracting. The subject can be placed more off-center without recomposing. So there are benefits to the newer and more expensive kit. Of course, some will continue to buy the lower priced earlier offerings, or stay with DSLR because of their characteristic qualities.

That's not going to be the case. Show me ten images taken of a half body or full body portrait subject at 85mm wide open and display the 100% crops showing the subjects' eyes. I know the D750 very well and know that not every shot is going to be equally in focus. Thus you need to overshoot a lot in this scenario to get some that have good expressions and are precisely in focus. This means you spend more time editing in choosing the shots that are good rather than just shoot and know that basically all the shots will be in focus.

It's lenses at 2-3x the prices of the lenses they are replacing

The Z mount 85/1.8 S isn't replacing the F mount 85/1.8G, and it's not 3x as expensive. They are different product lines and different price and quality classes. The S line lenses are Nikon's top line of Z system lenses. There will be other lines that are less expensive.

Even though, yes there are some minor optical improvements with some of the S lenses, which no one looking at a print will ever notice IMO.

I think this lens will bring many people into the Z system. I believe one of the main reasons that people have abandoned Nikon and Canon is the lack of consistent focus in portrait subjects at wide apertures. Sony solved this issue with their mirrorless camera and eye AF and thus they are now the largest supplier of full frame cameras worldwide. With this lens, Nikon have a chance of providing similar results to their customers, those who are still around.

The improvements in some of the lenses are rather large, for example, the 50/1.8 S is in a different quality class compared to Nikon's 50mm F mount lenses. The detail just jumps at the viewer.

There will be users who value the improved optical quality and consistent focus more than the optical real-time viewfinder (in my opinion the EVF is a rather large drawback of mirrorless cameras), some will prefer to maintain the more direct contact with the subject through the optical viewfinder, thus they might not care to get the new equipment. This is fine: it's a choice that users have.

Many portraits are shot stopped down, in this case the differences in the results will probably be quite small. The improvement in focus and image quality is expected to be noticeable when shooting wide open. I typically shoot in the studio at f/8-11 and even the oldest screwdriver AF Nikkor gets things in focus in this scenario, with >90% consistency, using an older camera. However, when shooting portraits outdoors at some distance, if shooting wide open for background effect, then not all shots are going to be equally sharp with a DSLR. The precision and accuracy just isn't there for that kind of shot to be perfectly reproducible, especially at longer distances. Mirrorless technology can help solve this particular problem.

I'm not really sure what you want Nikon to do with the current market trend. Nikon could sell the lens at what it cost them to make, I guess if that would make you happy.

They need to make a profit or they will be shut down. The lens is relatively inexpensive compared to other high end short telephoto lenses.

Jul 31, 2019 at 05:01 AM
newphotmano
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

I needed an 85 after selling no my 1.4g for a 105mm so figured why not just try it out, preordered from Adorama.

Jul 31, 2019 at 05:09 AM
DapperedGator
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

Only took 6 posts for someone to complain. Impressive.

Jul 31, 2019 at 06:05 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

Personally Iím happy Nikon is bringing quality to 1.8 lenses. I donít need 1.4, I donít want the size the good ones require. Old 1.8s were ok to pretty good, but not near the S lens quality. These lenses still arenít small but a lot better than 1.4s of similar quality.

Jul 31, 2019 at 06:16 AM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

I dig it!

Jul 31, 2019 at 08:15 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

GroovyGeek wrote:

Actually, it just needs to be as good as the 35mm and 50mm S. Nobody with a Z body is buying the F versions of these lenses.

Jul 31, 2019 at 08:19 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

Mathieu18 wrote:
Personally Iím happy Nikon is bringing quality to 1.8 lenses. I donít need 1.4, I donít want the size the good ones require. Old 1.8s were ok to pretty good, but not near the S lens quality. These lenses still arenít small but a lot better than 1.4s of similar quality.

+1

You no longer have to pay for 1.4 and deal with the hefty weight to get very high image quality in a prime lens. These s primes meet my needs perfectly. Cheers Nikon!

Jul 31, 2019 at 08:31 AM
cbreiland
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

It looks smaller than i thought it would be based on the mockups.

OOF rendition seems to be top notch for the speed of the lens.

The canadian price pill is a little hard to swallow, but so it goes.

Jul 31, 2019 at 09:46 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-order: Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens ($796.95)

gdsf2 wrote:
Actually, it just needs to be as good as the 35mm and 50mm S. Nobody with a Z body is buying the F versions of these lenses.

well, I was buying the 28e, 58g, 105e, for their uniqueness and/or superb optics and smooth bokeh.
but I get what you're saying, not many folks are buying the 35g, 50g, 85g, now that the S glass is out or coming out.

---------------------------------------------

cbreiland wrote:
It looks smaller than i thought it would be based on the mockups.

OOF rendition seems to be top notch for the speed of the lens.

The canadian price pill is a little hard to swallow, but so it goes.

I agree, and I'm happy with the weight, too
470 grams
3.9"

bokeh, can be a little harsh with these S primes.
I am not a huge fan of the samples provided. they are "fine" images, don't get me wrong.
I really wish they would allow someone else to produce the sample shoots.
we need more variety of types of images. more variety of natural light conditions. etc.

I have preordered and expect to have one for launch.

My lens collection will be far too large. I will need to sell 2-3 lenses, or I will have a wasteful feeling itching me.

28e
35s
50s
58g
85s
105e

12-24art
24-70s
70-200e

I may simply eliminate the 35s
keep the 50s for that one lens family outing, or assistant to use.
use the 58g and 105e for wedding/engagement/high end portrait stuff
85s for regular portrait sessions
still too much glass, but I enjoy them.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password