Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14              end

Archive 2019 · How many tripods do you guys have?

wildwildwes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · How many tripods do you guys have?

I should not be owning up to the reality of which I am in as it regards him many tripods one has... But I'll play along!

(4) Gitzos - modest sized to the very large pro-studex. All are aluminum as I've owned them for a long time.

(2) LeoFotos. Both with large stiff legs (one 36mm, the other 40mm). Both are superb. No complaints.

(1) Desmond Demon something or another. Was very curious to see how these Chinese made carbon-fiber tripods stood up to the medium sized Gitzos (2-3 series), etc. If not mistaken, I paid just over $200 for the tripod and "Demon" ball head, including an excellent case. Again, an absolutely astounding value. Used with my long lenses (300 f/2.8, 200-600, etc) with no issues.

(1) MeFoto - was used for when I needed a little "travel" tripod. For what it's designed for it's excellent.
Several table-top tripods...

Feb 11, 2023 at 07:13 PM
xmux

p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · How many tripods do you guys have?

Manfrotto 290 Tripod with Fluid Video Head - first tripod I bought, originally bought it for shooting video but the video fluid head performance is quite poor. It only really works when you're panning to track an actor, any slow movements on a non-moving subject or landscape don't come out well at all. You really get what you pay for when it comes to video fluid heads...

Benro MeFOTO RoadTrip Pro, carbon fiber - for travel photography, have yet to take it out on the road but it's astoundingly compact and light (coming from video tripods I'd used in the past)

Cartoni Focus 8 w/ Red Lock Tripod System - just bought this, have yet to even take it out of the box actually, but will write some thoughts when I have a chance to test it.

E-Image GH06 with bundled aluminum tripod - just bought this as well, gah the B&H sale price was too good to pass up...$399 and I saw Philip Bloom's glowing review of it. I rationalized it to myself as a "backup" tripod.

Oh and a SLIK tripod from the 90s that my dad bought in Japan. This thing is a tank, steel construction, heavy! It could survive a war zone.

Feb 14, 2023 at 05:26 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · How many tripods do you guys have?

I have been pondering getting another tripod most recently, as for the first time I've been working with a gimbal, a Neewer aluminum one. It's not particularly lightweight but is very top heavy on my Gitzo Traveler which isn't in my opinion terribly stable in all conditions. Especially with that heavier gimbal on it. I have a bit of a hankering for that Artcise model that will take 80lbs and has 40mm top of the line 10 layer Japanese made CF tubing. It's built like a brick out house. A Youtuber showed it taking two large bricks and some weight added up to 80lbs and it was stable as a rock. Perhaps that's what would do it for me. Sure Leophoto and some others are great. But this one is surprisingly only $400 with a nice low profile ballhead looking like a knockoff of the RRS RH-55. A sweet deal. I'm tempted but thinking about it before I pull any triggers. I just want something that might be rock steady compared to my Gitzo, which this Artcise sure looks like it would be. Also has that exchangable bowl mount to adjust for leveling easily .

Feb 15, 2023 at 03:20 PM
gocolts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · How many tripods do you guys have?

1- Peak Design Carbon Fiber

Well, I have a small off-brand table-top one I don't really count.

I had an older Gitzo traveler CF tripod that I kept for awhile when I got the Peak Design earlier this year, and honestly preferred the Peak Design, so I sold the Gitzo. I don't use a tripod much (mainly travel), but when I do the PD is the better choice for me.

Feb 15, 2023 at 04:58 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · How many tripods do you guys have?

I've seen at least 3 videos now regarding the Peak Design and the Artcise model I mentioned runs rings around it for shear stability at nearly half the price. Something to think about.

Feb 15, 2023 at 06:15 PM
xmux

p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · How many tripods do you guys have?

dcisive wrote:
I've seen at least 3 videos now regarding the Peak Design and the Artcise model I mentioned runs rings around it for shear stability at nearly half the price. Something to think about.

I just looked up that brand. Assuming that you’re referring to the AS90 or AS95C though, consider also that the Artcise is almost 8 lbs with the ball head, whereas the Peak Design carbon fiber model is under 2.9 lbs. The PD aluminum model is around the same price as the AS95C, yet still weighs 3.4 lbs. I think these models are competing in different leagues.

Artcise does appear to have a low-cost, and light (2.9lbs) carbon fiber model that is under $200, which looks quite interesting.

Feb 17, 2023 at 12:10 AM
dcisive
• • •
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · How many tripods do you guys have?

The problem I saw in a few reviews on Youtube of the Peak Design is it has flex. The Artcise has NONE. I personally don't care about its weight, to me it's all about performance and in that arena it whollops the Peak Design.

Feb 17, 2023 at 06:02 PM
cugwithx
• •
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · How many tripods do you guys have?

I've been looking into my tripod setups lately and I'm making some changes. I refuse to support any of the clone products, which is not a big problem with tripods for me though, right now I own:

1) Gitzo GT3541LS (just acquired, used) – this will be paired with an Acratech GXP or my existing Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead which had been sitting in a drawer due to its massive weight. Will be used for occasions where I don't venture all too far from the car. I used to have a Series 5 Gitzo, it was just too heavy for what I'm doing, therefore sold it some time ago. The midsize Series 3 is a better fit.

2) Gitzo GT2542T – had this one for some years now and very happy with it. It's been traveling with me all over North America and Europe, I've carried it up and down more mountains than I care to count and on some rather long trails. I paired this with a Really Right Stuff BH-40 a few years ago. Downside is, it's on the heavy side for a travel tripod (~1795g with the BH-40). If I remove the center column and pair it with an Acratech GXP-SS I can possibly save about 200g, but unfortunately removing the center column is suboptimal on this tripod. Maybe I can find some fitting washers that will make it more feasible.

Just recently sold a Peak Design Travel Tripod. Comared to the GT2542T it's noticeable less stable and while the weight savings are significant, I've pretty much always taken the more stable tripod with me.

What I'm missing at the moment is something really light and still stable. 1200g or less including a decent ballhead. Doesn't need to be high. Haven't decided on a kit yet.

Some old aluminium tripods are also still here, mostly unused since they are heavier and less nice than the other tripods. Sometimes used for alternative perspectives or so.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · How many tripods do you guys have?

cugwithx wrote:
2) Gitzo GT2542T – had this one for some years now and very happy with it. It's been traveling with me all over North America and Europe, I've carried it up and down more mountains than I care to count and on some rather long trails. I paired this with a Really Right Stuff BH-40 a few years ago. Downside is, it's on the heavy side for a travel tripod (~1795g with the BH-40). If I remove the center column and pair it with an Acratech GXP-SS I can possibly save about 200g, but unfortunately removing the center column is
...Show more

I found the Gitzo center column removal to be finicky and a pain until I replaced the center column and entire mechanism on a GT2530 and GT2541 with the Markins TH-200 tripod hub. The GT25x2 series tripods require the Markins TH-230. Not only is weight reduced but the tripod is markedly more rigid. It's a really well made and finished piece from solid aluminum.

EBH

Feb 21, 2023 at 02:03 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · How many tripods do you guys have?

Anyone using the new HEIPI tripod already?

Feb 21, 2023 at 02:48 AM
cugwithx
• •
p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · How many tripods do you guys have?

EB-1 wrote:
I found the Gitzo center column removal to be finicky and a pain until I replaced the center column and entire mechanism on a GT2530 and GT2541 with the Markins TH-200 tripod hub. The GT25x2 series tripods require the Markins TH-230. Not only is weight reduced but the tripod is markedly more rigid. It's a really well made and finished piece from solid aluminum.

I don't see how this would work with my GT2542T which has the reversible legs. Otherwise I'd love to do that, but the leg angle stops are different. I've already reached out to Markins whether there is still a way to get one of their hubs for the GT3541LS, that tripod would benefit even more (for me).

Feb 21, 2023 at 02:57 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · How many tripods do you guys have?

Oops, did not see the T.

EBH

Feb 21, 2023 at 09:21 AM
twodees
• •
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · How many tripods do you guys have?

2x Gitzo (3 and 5 series systematics), both 10+ years old now. Still going strong but a full strip and service wouldn't go amiss (I'd replace a couple of leg bearings and rubbers, give the head bases a sand then repaint) it's just getting round to doing it.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:32 AM
remdell

p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · How many tripods do you guys have?

1) Fotopro aircross 2 - Best travel tripod I own. It's defining feature is the rapid deployment feature, where-in you only need to twist one section to fully extend the tripod legs and twist less (few clicks) to get to shorter lengths. I found that when I'm hiking with friends, this tripod definitely helps us take less photo breaks and enjoy the scenery.

2) Manfrotto 504x + fast single legs - My everyday video tripod. It's a very smooth and beefy - priced at decent place to give you a good sense of what a true fluid head feels like. At home I just adapt a simple ball head at the top for stills.

3) Ikan GH06 with carbon legs - My go-to video tripod for precise movements. Definitely the best budget fluid head I've seen. Albeit, prices have been going up steadily since covid though.

Feb 21, 2023 at 03:16 PM
cugwithx
• •
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · How many tripods do you guys have?

cugwithx wrote:
I've already reached out to Markins whether there is still a way to get one of their hubs for the GT3541LS, that tripod would benefit even more (for me).

Just in case you're interested: it would be the TH-300, which is discontinued and not available anymore. Bummer, but okay, that's what it is.

If I were to buy a new tripod, it would be a Gitzo again – world wide service and parts are important to me. That's the biggest issue I have with my Acratech and RRS gear.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:32 AM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · How many tripods do you guys have?

j4nu wrote:
Anyone using the new HEIPI tripod already?

Per the last update mine should be shipping in March, looking forward to it.

Feb 23, 2023 at 08:55 AM
MARKFER
• •
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · How many tripods do you guys have?

If this is a joke the answer is 3.

Feb 23, 2023 at 09:43 AM
Jonathan-ST

p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · How many tripods do you guys have?

The induro carbon fiber of this tripod is what I like

Feb 24, 2023 at 01:01 AM
Bobarino
• •
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · How many tripods do you guys have?

NatDeroxL7 wrote:
Just 1 Frankenpod.

Gitzo Mountaineer 2-series legs, long
Gitzo traveler 1-series ballhead
RRS panning clamp baseplate

It is the best compromises I could make for a single tripod, not crazy heavy, yet tall, doesn’t need to hold more than mirrorless gear, and can achieve precise level with enhanced panorama making capability.

Hi Nat,

Ever since I've seen your "Frankenpod", I've been thinking about adding a 2-series Mountaineer to my tripod collection, and I'm having a heckuva time finding reviews with demo's,,, and comparisons vs the 2-series Traveller. I'm looking for something that slots in between my 2-series GT-2545T and my GT-3542XLS.The 2-series Mountaineer with its' 40+lb payload, looks like the perfect candidate.

Did you by any chance, look into that comparison before buying your Mountaineer? The CenterColumn.com rates the leg "stiffness" as identical for both the 2-series Traveller and the 2-series Mountaineer, but, Gitzo rates the the weight capacity much higher on the Mountaineer. (40 lbs, vs 27 lbs. UNI/PDR.105.2021). I've only briefly handled the 1-series Mountaineer, and was quite surprised at how stiff and stable it was.

FWIW, I have the same GH-1382QD head on my Traveller, as well as the GH-3382QD on my 3-series Systematic..I LOVE both these heads. The friction-control is soooo smooth and positive.

One of my main reasons for considering the Mountaineer, is primarily due to its' rapid deployment/ quick set-up capability, while retaining a reasonably compact form factor (22"). I'd primarily be using this set-up for local street and people photography.

Cheers,

Bob

Mar 04, 2023 at 04:12 PM
bisticlz

p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · How many tripods do you guys have?

Just two;

One's a pretty heavy Manfrotto with a clunky video fluid head. I have it parked in a corner of a room that I use for filming monologue-style presentation stuff. It not being very mobile is actually a plus for this.

Then I've got a carbon fiber Manbily that I grab when I need to be mobile.

Mar 09, 2023 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.