Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

cosmom3
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

I just picked mine up from the post office today after purchasing it from CameraQuest. Curious if anyone picked one up as well and have reviews.

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:35 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

No, sorry, I don't have anything to add but am curious about your experiences with it. For example, is focus shift eliminated, as claimed? Also, if you can comment about field curvature and sharpness/degree of spherical aberration at wider apertures and in comparison with the previous version, if you have experience with that one, too.

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:28 AM
cosmom3
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

rscheffler wrote:
No, sorry, I don't have anything to add but am curious about your experiences with it. For example, is focus shift eliminated, as claimed? Also, if you can comment about field curvature and sharpness/degree of spherical aberration at wider apertures and in comparison with the previous version, if you have experience with that one, too.

After shooting with it for a few days, I can say that the focus shift is 90% eliminated (and I'm being very particular) in the higher aperture ranges. It's spot on at f/1.4, which is what I'm primarily concerned with and anything smaller from f/1.4 looks like it falls within the depth of field.

Jun 28, 2019 at 06:00 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

As much as I like the Fujinon 35/1.4, I would mind replacing it for a good manual focus fast 35mm that could give me a similar image quality. Iíve been waiting for some reviews of that Voigtlander to see íif itís a good candidate so Iíll keep an eye on this thread. Could you share some comments about the performance wide-open and bokeh?

Jun 28, 2019 at 07:09 PM
Jmonat7
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Any improvement in distortion? That is the main thing that pulls me away from this lens.

Jun 29, 2019 at 09:48 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
As much as I like the Fujinon 35/1.4, I would mind replacing it for a good manual focus fast 35mm that could give me a similar image quality. Iíve been waiting for some reviews of that Voigtlander to see íif itís a good candidate so Iíll keep an eye on this thread. Could you share some comments about the performance wide-open and bokeh?

The previous version had quite busy background bokeh... The 35/1.7 is much smoother and a modern, sharp lens, though doesn't necessarily like thick sensor stack designs, which I think is the case with Fuji, too, though APS-C. The 35/1.2 is also very smooth, though less technically good compared to the f/1.7 and is large, but does quite well on Sony sensors and therefore may also be ok on Fuji.

Jun 29, 2019 at 04:10 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

rscheffler wrote:
The previous version had quite busy background bokeh... The 35/1.7 is much smoother and a modern, sharp lens, though doesn't necessarily like thick sensor stack designs, which I think is the case with Fuji, too, though APS-C. The 35/1.2 is also very smooth, though less technically good compared to the f/1.7 and is large, but does quite well on Sony sensors and therefore may also be ok on Fuji.

Thanks for the imput. Seems like it's not quite my dream come true then. Regarding the 35/1.2, I've been eyeballing that one for some time, but knowing me, after the initial honeymoon time, a lens with that size and weight would be kept at the house unused more often than not.

Jun 29, 2019 at 05:03 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Is this lens the M mount version of the Voigtlander 35/1.4 recently released for Sony FE mount? If so, there is a thread about it here in the Sony forum. While I would be somewhat reluctant to judge sharpness of a Sony version and expect it to be the same performance on Leica M, it should still give an idea about bokeh/rendering characteristics.

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:43 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Bumpmfor any more recent user reports/ reviews?

Aug 25, 2019 at 07:23 AM
itsmesuraj
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

I recently picked up the MC variant of this lens for my M10 and I absolutely love it. I agree that the focus shift issues are non-existent at 1.4 which is mainly what I wanted. At the price tag, its definitely worth a buy. As expected the vignetting is similar like the 1st version, but I definitely like the look.
I like the fact that the size and usability is exactly like the old one.

Sep 04, 2019 at 01:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

I got mine two weeks ago. The build and feel are awesome. Focus shift is indistinguishable. Distortion seems better than version I, but did not do any side by sides...which I might since I still have both. I bought this lens with the hopes of it being really good stopped down in the day, with the ability to shoot at night. I've been using a Zeiss Biogon 2.8 and it is one of the best 35s I've ever used. Up there with my favorites like the Sonnar on the RX1 and the Canon 35L. It is better than any crons. The asph might have slightly better edge to edge sharpness at 2.8. The only issue is the Zeiss at 2.8 limits me at times. I shoot up to 3200 on a M262 and sometimes I would love an extra stop or two. I was hoping the VM would replace the Zeiss and I am still on the fence.

I have been personally testing it against the Zeiss, so this is about that and may not be useful to others, but it's some type of real use info. Stopped down to 2.8 it has good center sharpness, but starts to fall apart at the edges compared to the ZM. At 1.4 it is sharp in the middle. Not clinical sharpness like the ZM, but sharp. It has a very nice rendering for people. If filling the frame with a face, I'd prefer the VM characteristic to the ZM. That is a major draw for me right now. I didn't expect it to be so pleasing with portraits. If anyone likes to shoot portraits at 35, this is a really good lens for that. The most disappointing thing about this lens is the CA/Purple Fringing at night. It is more than I would like. So the purpose of this lens for me was the ability to shoot in lower light. I wanted to be blown away with it at night and I could live with it being 75% of what the Zeiss is otherwise. It's a good, not great, lens for cityscape, landscape and night shooting. Some scenes it works really well, where I am like ok this is good, then it can produce some clunkers. Consistency throughout the frame from image to image isn't really there. I do love how it renders skin very nicely. Though it is not excellent at anything. That said, even though the Zeiss is truly an excellent sharp lens...it has it's limitations and I would have to supplement it with another lens, whereas the Voigtlander is a very capable versatile performer. Based on the price, build, size & capability, I'd have to say it's probably the best all-around m-mount 35 available right now. As you can see, I am still on the fence and need more time to be 100% on my thoughts, but these my initial observations.

Sep 04, 2019 at 05:53 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Just got mine on last Friday, but haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet.

Jan 06, 2020 at 12:25 AM
NRKStudio
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Nick Dakota wrote:
I got mine two weeks ago. The build and feel are awesome. Focus shift is indistinguishable. Distortion seems better than version I, but did not do any side by sides...which I might since I still have both. I bought this lens with the hopes of it being really good stopped down in the day, with the ability to shoot at night. I've been using a Zeiss Biogon 2.8 and it is one of the best 35s I've ever used. Up there with my favorites like the Sonnar on the RX1 and the Canon 35L. It is better than any
...Show more

Have you tried the CV 35/2 m mount ? Itís the vintage style Ultron. Really solid all around.

Jan 08, 2020 at 01:48 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

NRKStudio wrote:
Have you tried the CV 35/2 m mount ? Itís the vintage style Ultron. Really solid all around.

I am really surprised how much I like this lens. I really had no hopes from the sample photos, but the renderings feels much closer to the zm 35 1.4 than my cv 35 1.7 or 40 1.2 in terms of color and contrast. And thatís my only issue with cvís offerings, and itís a preference.

Jan 09, 2020 at 06:36 PM
NRKStudio
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I am really surprised how much I like this lens. I really had no hopes from the sample photos, but the renderings feels much closer to the zm 35 1.4 than my cv 35 1.7 or 40 1.2 in terms of color and contrast. And thatís my only issue with cvís offerings, and itís a preference.

I could easily believe those are the 35/1.4 Zeiss ZM. Great shots btw. What type of dog is that little black one?

I didnít put the connection together between the D35/1.4 and the CV35/2 until your post, and I shoot quite a bit with the Zeiss. Def one of the sharpest M lenses at any focal length. I heard the CEO of Cosina wanted to remake the 8 element Summicron when he did the 35/2 Ultron, but thoroughly modernized. I believe it, itís sharp as a tack on center and falls off gently. At rangefinder forum thereís a good comparo vs the modern 35 Cron, and the Ultron puts up a serious fight.

Hereís some 35/2 Ultron shots from a day at the museum and around the house.

LEICA M10-P    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/60s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10-P    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/5.6    1/60s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10-P    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/125s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10-P    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. lens    35mm    f/6.8    1/25s    1600 ISO    -1.0 EV  

LEICA M10-P    Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 lens    35mm    f/2.4    1/60s    1000 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Jan 09, 2020 at 09:17 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

NRKStudio wrote:
I could easily believe those are the 35/1.4 Zeiss ZM. Great shots btw. What type of dog is that little black one?

I didnít put the connection together between the D35/1.4 and the CV35/2 until your post, and I shoot quite a bit with the Zeiss. Def one of the sharpest M lenses at any focal length. I heard the CEO of Cosina wanted to remake the 8 element Summicron when he did the 35/2 Ultron, but thoroughly modernized. I believe it, itís sharp as a tack on center and falls off gently. At rangefinder forum thereís a good comparo vs
...Show more

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, between the size, IQ and rendering I find it nearly turns my a7r2 into pocketable.

I actually can't tell the performance as well in the outer 1/3 of the frame as I am using it on stock Sony, but it's sharp at f8 everywhere, and wide open I don't need sharp corners and I like vignetting too. The other thing I really like about the CV 35/2 is the well controlled LoCal--I shoot high contrast scenes and subjects, so that's welcome.

That dog is called "Euraiser." It's rare and a Spitz type (same family as Husky/Chow Chow/Samoyed/Shiba Inu/Akita/Keeshond). They were started in the 60's, being bred as a companion pet by a German fellow.

I picked her up over the holidays for my nephews and nieces. She's only 8 weeks old in those photos. She'll be around 45lbs as an adult.

Jan 09, 2020 at 09:27 PM
cosmom3
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

very much prefer the rendering on the Leica sensor over the Sony from the images.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:10 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Ummm, it gets a bit confusing when the only images here are not from the lens that the thread is about.

--------

I have the Nokton FE version and I like it a lot. The bokeh is busy at close range but that's only a good thing to me. At larger distance it gets better, and if you stop down a tad too it's great.

Some images shot on a Sony a7 II. Note that this is not the VM version, but the FE. I suppose they would be very similar on their native sensors.

8673 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

5881 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

8978 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

3612 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

4546 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

NRKStudio wrote:

I have it too. Renders nicely. I currently have the ultron, nokton I & II and a Zeiss Biogon. Still trying to narrow it down. I've experienced focus shift on all except the Zeiss for anything within the 6' range.

Nokton I - can get some pleasing portraits, but breaks down in many instances.

Nokton II - better than the I in terms of distortion and less ghosting/flare. Still has focus shift

Ultron - Sharp wide open, more contrast than nokton. Focus shift within 6 feet

Biogon - perfect lens, but you must like warm contrasty sharp images.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:56 AM
matt-to
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Nick Dakota wrote:
I have it too. Renders nicely. I currently have the ultron, nokton I & II and a Zeiss Biogon. Still trying to narrow it down. I've experienced focus shift on all except the Zeiss for anything within the 6' range.

Nokton I - can get some pleasing portraits, but breaks down in many instances.

Nokton II - better than the I in terms of distortion and less ghosting/flare. Still has focus shift

Ultron - Sharp wide open, more contrast than nokton. Focus shift within 6 feet

Biogon - perfect lens, but you must like warm contrasty sharp images.

Which Biogon are you referring to? The Loxia 35mm is a Biogon design but wide open performance is not really good. Could be perfect for landscape photographers though.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password