New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6              8       9       end

Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Makten wrote:
The Loxia 35 has funky corners stopped down but you don't really notice if you don't look for it, since the bokeh contrast is very low.

It's hard not to notice the sharper and more contrasty corners though. I have a feeling the CV 35/1.4 won't do any better and likely worse here. I am waiting for better lighting to try it today.
And I agree that f/3.2 is the '3d' aperture for the Lox 35 since resolution gets a big bump while rendering smooths a bit more compared to f/2.5.

Oct 23, 2018 at 02:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Here is a portrait at close range. (Too close for a 35mm. )

Oct 23, 2018 at 02:53 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Fred Miranda wrote:

It's hard not to notice the sharper and more contrasty corners though. I have a feeling the CV 35/1.4 won't do any better and likely worse here. I am waiting for better lighting to try it today.
And I agree that f/3.2 is the '3d' aperture for the Lox 35 since resolution gets a big bump while rendering smooths a bit more compared to f/2.5.

Well, photographers that investigate bokeh properties will definitely see it but I doubt anyone else will. And of course such a small and fast lens will be somewhat funky towards the corners, even stopped down a fair bit. But, I've found some samples that give me hope! Particularly this one by Bastian, posted on Phillip Reeves site, at f/2:

Voigtlander_35mm_1.4_Nokton_E_classic by BK_ Blog, on Flickr

Corners are definitely funky, but there is still more to stop down before the background gets "too sharp" for 3D. It looks very nice in the middle at least. And the subject is plenty sharp even though there is a tiny glow (which i actually like).

Edit: I'd say it looks better than the Nokton 40/1.2 @ f/2.

Edit: This one @ f/1.4 and large distance is also nice! Surprisingly smooth background. Very Planaresque.

Oct 23, 2018 at 03:34 PM
genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

ďPlanaresqueĒ. One of the greatest compliments one can pay a lens, IMHO.

Oct 23, 2018 at 03:51 PM
azhenley

p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

I'm ready to order either the 35 or the 40 but every time I think I made a decision, someone posts something that makes me change my mind!

Oct 23, 2018 at 04:35 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

azhenley wrote:
I'm ready to order either the 35 or the 40 but every time I think I made a decision, someone posts something that makes me change my mind!

Its a little simpler to think in terms of the 40mm will give you better corners faster than the classic 35. Whats unique about the classic is the wide open funky bokeh. Put a better way depending on your desires do you want a more corrected lens than the 40 is the better choice as you can still get funky wide open till about 2.8 but after that it becomes more a landscape lens. The classic really dont hit the corners until F8. The 40 can cheat those corners even at F4

Okay the 40 is bigger. I just got the little 21mm 3.5 about 2 hours ago and im in love with the size and it looks to be a really nice copy. I will test it in the morning

In all honesty and I said this before there is no one 35/40mm lens that does it all well. You almost have to go with 2 or do a Nice Loxia 35 for that landscape or the CV 40mm stuff and than get a funky 50 ro this classic. If you want ONE lens to call home about the grab the CV 40 as its kind of a two for one lens. I went with the CV 50 1.2 M mount and sold the 40mm to do it. Yea i know Im sick in the head but I actually like the Cv 50 better but its a M mount

Oct 23, 2018 at 05:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Makten wrote:
Well, photographers that investigate bokeh properties will definitely see it but I doubt anyone else will. And of course such a small and fast lens will be somewhat funky towards the corners, even stopped down a fair bit. But, I've found some samples that give me hope! Particularly this one by Bastian, posted on Phillip Reeves site, at f/2:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4660/25739903897_7fd10cb92c_h.jpg

Corners are definitely funky, but there is still more to stop down before the background gets "too sharp" for 3D. It looks very nice in the middle at least. And the subject is plenty sharp
...Show more

Overall, these shots look quite good. The corners are pretty terrible, though. Almost like some mechanical vignetting occurring in the furthest corners.

Oct 23, 2018 at 05:54 PM
KarmaKramer
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

The Loxia looks good for a walkarounder,I hope one pops up on the B&S board for me to check out!

Oct 23, 2018 at 06:03 PM
genji
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

GMPhotography wrote:
Its a little simpler to think in terms of the 40mm will give you better corners faster than the classic 35. Whats unique about the classic is the wide open funky bokeh. Put a better way depending on your desires do you want a more corrected lens than the 40 is the better choice as you can still get funky wide open till about 2.8 but after that it becomes more a landscape lens. The classic really dont hit the corners until F8. The 40 can cheat those corners even at F4

Based on the samples Makten posted, I'm not sure what makes the Classic 35/1.4 unique is its wide open funky bokeh. I thoroughly agree with what Makten wrote in an earlier post:

I'm one of those few people that love the classic 50/1.4 Planar for that reason. Very chaotic bokeh near MFD and wide open, but absolutely amazing at f/2.5 and a few meters distance. If the 35/1.4 is similar I could actually get it only for that reason, never even using it wide open.

And, since I normally crop to a 1:1 aspect ratio, I couldn't care less about the corners. Anyway, I'll soon see because I just spoke to the CV distributor who told me that they received a shipment of Classic 35's yesterday, of which two are left. Naturally I asked him to hold one for me.

Oct 23, 2018 at 06:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Makten wrote:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4660/25739903897_7fd10cb92c_h.jpg

Corners are definitely funky, but there is still more to stop down before the background gets "too sharp" for 3D. It looks very nice in the middle at least. And the subject is plenty sharp
...Show more

Here are some samples showing the rendering at f/1.4 and f/2 at various distances: ~2m, 2.5m, 3m.

Oct 23, 2018 at 07:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

azhenley

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

GMPhotography wrote:

Okay the 40 is bigger. I just got the
...Show more

Good summary. The CV 35ís size and price are part of the consideration too. Then thereís also the focal length difference... no perfect decision!

Oct 23, 2018 at 07:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Here is the last one at closer distance where spherical aberration gives a more hazy look:

Oct 23, 2018 at 07:46 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

KarmaKramer wrote:
The Loxia looks good for a walkarounder,I hope one pops up on the B&S board for me to check out!

I just bought the Loxia 35 used here on the board but this classic is interesting. My issue is how it would pair with my CV 50 1.2. Which is very similar to the CV 40. I just need one of them to have great corners. Iím looking for my damn CV 50 tests or Fredís. I thought I posted it

So found my CV 50 test and by F4 like the 40 corners come to life, so a great landscape lens. Sooooo I could go funky.

Oct 23, 2018 at 08:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

GMPhotography wrote:
I just bought the Loxia 35 used here on the board but this classic is interesting. My issue is how it would pair with my CV 50 1.2. Which is very similar to the CV 40. I just need one of them to have great corners. Iím looking for my damn CV 50 tests or Fredís. I thought I posted it

So found my CV 50 test and by F4 like the 40 corners come to life, so a great landscape lens. Sooooo I could go funky.

Something the CV 35/1.4 and Lox 35/2 share in common is the clean specular highlights from the lack of asphericals. It's not the case with the CV 40/1.2 Nokton which has an onion bokeh.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:35 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

My biggest thing is I like CV lenses functionally better. I have three of them as of today. 15,21,50.

The one thing I noticed in your tests Fredís. See I pay attention. Lol
Was at F2 where the Loxia 35 has that coma glow and you mentioned at F2 the CV 35 is actually shaper. Which makes sense since itís stopped down whereas the Loxia 35 is not. Also someone mentioned that the funky bokeh smooths our at F2 and F2.8 which would be nice to have that option over the funky 1.4 . The biggest thing is the corners at 5.6 it be nice to see the CV handle that slight better. Given I have the CV 50 these two could give me some nice options. One thing I noticed with the new 21 is it is a touch lower contrast but I added some black point to the images and it popped back up. I would think the CV 35 would benefit from that. I would love the smaller form factor too. Love how small the 21 is and I love the hood on it.

I may switch in a few days and maybe sell the Loxia 35. The one other thing is eventually Iíll get that Batis 40 and that could be more general purpose.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

GMPhotography wrote:
My biggest thing is I like CV lenses functionally better. I have three of them as of today. 15,21,50.

The one thing I noticed in your tests Fredís. See I pay attention. Lol
Was at F2 where the Loxia 35 has that coma glow and you mentioned at F2 the CV 35 is actually shaper. Which makes sense since itís stopped down whereas the Loxia 35 is not. Also someone mentioned that the funky bokeh smooths our at F2 and F2.8 which would be nice to have that option over the funky 1.4 . The biggest thing is the corners at 5.6
...Show more

The Voigt 35/1.4 just like the Loxia 35 are 'classic' designs that do not fare well in reviews. Both have atrocious coma performance, high astigmatism, soft corners at wide apertures and harsh bokeh wide open. The Voigtlander is actually a step further in this regard. They are under corrected for spherical aberration which gives them a very unique rendering.

I find the CV 35/1.4 E-mount a more versatile lens compared to the Loxia, having the extra stop and a much smaller size. It's full of character wide open and by f/2, OOF rendering is smoother with much less haze. At small apertures, it's capable of high resolution even on a 42MP sensor, so I would not hesitate shooting landscapes with it at f/8 or smaller apertures. (Although I prefer a more corrected lens like the CV 40/1.2 for that)

All this in a very compact package. It's only slightly longer than the FE 35/2.8 ZA but two stops faster with no compromises to build quality and mechanical operation. I thought I would never liked this lens based on reviews but once I tried it, I could not send it back. If my CV 65/2 APO is my most corrected lens, the CV 35/1.4 Classic is the least and I find space in my bag for both!

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:18 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here are some samples showing the rendering at f/1.4 and f/2 at various distances: ~2m, 2.5m, 3m.

Thanks Fred! That looks pretty terrible. But, your definition of "better lighting" is the opposite of mine. What a torture test!

Oct 24, 2018 at 02:01 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

Well I think I lost my noodle. Just listed my Loxia 35 on the board. But I do have a well corrected lens in this area so Iím going funky with the classic.

Oct 24, 2018 at 07:57 AM
azhenley

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

GMPhotography wrote:
Well I think I lost my noodle. Just listed my Loxia 35 on the board. But I do have a well corrected lens in this area so Iím going funky with the classic.

What a change of heart! I still canít decide though.

Oct 24, 2018 at 08:02 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Comparison: Voigtlander 35/1.4, Loxia 35/2 & Voigtlander 40/1.2

azhenley wrote:
What a change of heart! I still canít decide though.

Yea im going to the shrink today.

But I also decided not to sell my Loxia 25mm. Thats the backup when I need the highest quality

Oct 24, 2018 at 08:06 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.