New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              31       32       end

Archive 2018 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Thread dedicated to the Z7 images from our FM family!!!

As you are probably aware, Sony has been winning all-things-mirrorless for the past few years.
But this launch.... regardless if you are completely sold on the camera on paper or not, is incredibly exciting for one reason.....
A Z7 is a mirrorless camera that feels....
like a Nikon
Nikon says, "Decades of refining camera design, at your fingertips" for a reason.

If you're a Nikon shooter, or perhaps a former Nikon shooter, this is an incredibly exciting release for you!
For folks from other brands who are not familiar with Nikon, welcome to the dark side.

First, we need to pay the bills around here to keep the lights on!

1. support links for Fred Miranda: B&H Photo | Adorama

2. resource links
- NIKON USA: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-7.html
- PDF MANUAL: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/492/Z_7.html

3. existing topics of discussion
- SETUP/QUESTIONS: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1563858
- DISCUSSION OF Z6/Z7: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561983
- RECENT ARTICLE: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/nikons-future-z-system-plans-revealed

4. tips
- TBD

I will update the initial post here, with these findings

Length Spec with lenses mounted:

total length of z6/7 with S glass:
35 - 6 1/4"
50 - 6 1/4"
85 - 6 3/4"
24-70 2.8 - 7 7/9" (or a tad bit longer than 7 3/4")

total length of z6/7 with F glass + FTZ:
200-500 - 14 1/2"

Add your photos and only your photos.
If you're first, congratulations. No pictures of your keyboard or coffee mug! Make it count!

PLEASE: Show Exif - it is CRITICAL that we show off what lens was being used in conjunction with the Z7! If you don't have the ability to Show Exif, please add that detail to the message area!

Cheers

Edited on Aug 30, 2019 at 04:50 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:03 PM
J.Marcus Photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Thanks guys! Can the z7 do 8 bit internal nlog? I’m not seeing that as a file option , only on hdmi out

Sep 28, 2018 at 02:39 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

It's 10bit N-Log external, if I'm not mistaken, n-log is not available internally

Sep 28, 2018 at 02:59 PM
jjkan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

My copy came in from Adorama today, did not include XQD card.

Sep 28, 2018 at 03:34 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

jjkan wrote:
My copy came in from Adorama today, did not include XQD card.

The free cards are for Europe (and Asia, I think) but they don't get $100 off the adapter. The free card is a little better deal, I suppose.

Sep 28, 2018 at 04:05 PM
jjkan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Oh right, I only remembered the title, not the applicable regions.

As far as lens compatibility:

- So far, no problems with the Sigma 24-105 and 100-400C. I don't notice the focusing any faster or slower, though they're not the speediest to begin with.

- The Rokinon 135 is throwing some exposure errors - it flickers the aperture setting when jiggled. It's not loose, but it occurs on the minute rotations on the contacts. Rokinon 14 has no issues though.

- No issues with Voigtlander/Zeiss CPU contact lenses.

A few quick observations:
- I like to have ISO go in 1stop increments, I don't see a way to do that. All exposure is lumped into one setting between 1/3 and 1/2 stops.

- Extended ISO range is not available with electronic first curtain shutter.

- It's more responsive than I thought. Zooming in for focus accuracy is really fast. The fn1/2 buttons feel nicely squishy, better than any configuration I got with the A7r3 for shooting naturally.

- I can see how users with larger hands might have complaints, but it's just right for me.

- There's fewer functions than I've grown used to on other systems, but I don't really miss them. I like not seeing dedicated buttons that I never use (flash control, bracketing, quality, WB, lock).

- The yellow setup menu is really densely packed now, to the point where it could overflow or at least subdivide somehow. Compared to the D800 I have on hand, it's 21 vs. 34 items.

- I held off on selling some lenses to see how they balanced. The 1.8G primes like the 28mm float on the body and aren't as long as I'd worried. The Zeiss Milvus 85 is bit too much, it's expectedly even less comfortable to use. The Voigtlander 180APO is still really nice.

Sep 28, 2018 at 04:32 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

No love for Z6?

Sep 28, 2018 at 07:00 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Is there a reason for the tripod hole on the adapter?

Wouldn't you either use the camera tripod hole or ones on bigger lenses? Why is there a need for one more?

Sep 28, 2018 at 07:12 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

mysh wrote:

Wouldn't you either use the camera tripod hole or ones on bigger lenses? Why is there a need for one more?

I’ve tried attaching the peak design place to the bottom which is the smallest plate I have at the moment and the adapter would not mount as the plate would pertrude forward.

Sep 28, 2018 at 07:30 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

webmstrk9 wrote:
I’ve tried attaching the peak design place to the bottom which is the smallest plate I have at the moment and the adapter would not mount as the plate would pertrude forward.

thanks that makes sense. Just use the plate on the adapter. Could be a pain in the future when you are switching between S and G lenses

Sep 28, 2018 at 07:35 PM
J.Marcus Photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Anyone have any luck opening these raw files? I can't check my pictures out yet ;-(

Sep 28, 2018 at 07:35 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

J.Marcus Photo wrote:
Anyone have any luck opening these raw files? I can't check my pictures out yet ;-(

you can convert to DNG for now

Sep 28, 2018 at 07:36 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

J.Marcus Photo wrote:

Just use the latest version of Lr It works great.

Sep 28, 2018 at 07:50 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

mysh wrote:

Moment forces. Any longer lens is going to be cantilevered pretty far out if you mount by the camera body. I wouldn't worry about it with light lenses but with some of the newer should-have-a-tripod-collar lenses like the Otus, 105E, 135 Art ... I'd definitely use the adapter mount at least, if not try to buy some sort of lens support apparatus (I'm working on developing one myself, in fact).

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:18 AM
J.Marcus Photo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Thanks just updated.... the missing profile , will the images look incredibly different once they add the z7 profile?
Thanks !

charles.K wrote:
Just use the latest version of Lr It works great.

Sep 29, 2018 at 06:56 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

J.Marcus Photo wrote:
Thanks just updated.... the missing profile , will the images look incredibly different once they add the z7 profile?
Thanks !

Just have both the RAW and Jpegs alongside and you can view the differences in the profiles Just remember to check the other settings as some have changed from default as attached below.

Sep 29, 2018 at 07:02 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

mysh wrote:

I think it is useful if you are attaching Otus and Milvus or something like Nikon 14-24/2.8, 105/1.4 lenses for example since that will take a lot of strain off the Mount. For now it is not a big issue for me since I only have one Z mount lenses so I just get a plate that can be easily remove from the body without needing any tools. However in the futures when number of Z mount lenses increase, it could be come more of a pain if I have to switch plates between body and adapter often as plate on the adapter won't work if there is another plate attached under the body.

Sep 29, 2018 at 09:16 AM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

suteetat wrote:
I think it is useful if you are attaching Otus and Milvus or something like Nikon 14-24/2.8, 105/1.4 lenses for example since that will take a lot of strain off the Mount. For now it is not a big issue for me since I only have one Z mount lenses so I just get a plate that can be easily remove from the body without needing any tools. However in the futures when number of Z mount lenses increase, it could be come more of a pain if I have to switch plates between body and adapter often as plate
...Show more

@mysh

I’m waiting for a designed plate for the Z bodies, I’m not sure you’ll find a generic plate which will work with being attached and then adding/removing of the FTZ be seamless. Hopefully Kirk and RRS design teams are aware of this quick

Sep 29, 2018 at 09:47 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

Game day!

https://instagram.com/p/BoUPgbNB-SD/

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official Nikon Z7 image & resource hub thread

that’s really cool

Dj R wrote:
Game day!

https://instagram.com/p/BoUPgbNB-SD/

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.