Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              105       106       end

Archive 2017 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Matt Grum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

snapsy wrote:
Details of pixel shift from Dpreview:

"However, unlike the system Pentax uses or the earlier, 8-shot process used by Olympus, the a7R III cannot assemble the final images in-camera. Instead four Raw files must be processed using a freely downloadable image processing application for PCs that Sony will offer. The camera must also wait either 0.5, 1, or 2 seconds between shots for the sensor to settle, which is likely to exacerbate the problems of subject movement between the first and last shot."

Gah they seem to have half-assed it, which is sadly becoming the norm for Sony.

Half pixel shifts would have been better (but required much more advanced software to process), also having some way to feed back sensor position would mean they could keep the sensor still actively, instead of having to wait 2 seconds for it to stop moving by itself!

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:00 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

snapsy wrote:
Details of pixel shift from Dpreview:

"However, unlike the system Pentax uses or the earlier, 8-shot process used by Olympus, the a7R III cannot assemble the final images in-camera. Instead four Raw files must be processed using a freely downloadable image processing application for PCs that Sony will offer. The camera must also wait either 0.5, 1, or 2 seconds between shots for the sensor to settle, which is likely to exacerbate the problems of subject movement between the first and last shot."

Yeah, this is for Fine Art, static subjects only. Most landscapes should be ok, don’t know about moving foliage and water though. Could be an issue. Architecture could really benefit.

I think the raw software could be the issue here. You would probably have to use something from Sony with very limited image adjustment features.

MedicineMan404
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Chris_88 wrote:
First part, I agree with, but in my humble opinion, we'll have to wait and see about the lens. This is a first for Sony after all. Canikon have had plenty of times and iterations to refine their 400 2.8's. Together with the 300 2.8's, the newest iterations are as good as it gets, with or without the TC's. Lance (who happens to be an excellent photographer irrespective of the lens he uses) over at the Nikon board has taken plenty of amazing shots with his 400 FL. It would be quite a feat, if Sony managed to match the
...Show more

Chris I can't argue with any of your points, nor would I want to
But I've shot a few of the Canon big whites, loved using them all until I became too old to enjoy the weight.
The EOS 100-400ii was the one I enjoyed the most in the 'later' years due to wieldability and the Sony FE100-400GM is simply superior and lighter. I'd expect the FE primes to follow suit---not that it matters to me; I won't be able to lift the FE400/2.8 either! My hopes of an F4 or even better and F4.5 are on hold....but the aging process is not--by the time the F4 gets here I might not be able to wield it either.

justruss
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Quick question: Is the high (15 stops!) DR really only at low resolution-- or should that read low ISO?

Low resolution + high DR doesn't really do much for me since the places I tend to need high DR (landscapes/city-scapes) are also the places where I tend to need high resolution.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:01 AM
thenoilif

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

thrice wrote:
I don't get the appeal for landscapers. Either you're shooting grads or bracketing so 1 stop isn't huge.

Batteries - I already have 6 and 2 chargers. Changing in the field isn't inconvenient.

Multishot is useless for 90% of scenes.

USB is a nice improvement but anyone using a card reader doesn't care.

Same resolution, no weather sealing, no evf improvement, no screen res or size improvement and no touchscreen.
No astrotracer and likely the same star eater algorithm... Unless they want to force us to upgrade to remove that bug.

All for 25% more money? Yeah nah.

The price is the same. The A7rii was $3,200 at launch
EVF resolution increased to match the A9
It will have a touchscreen
Plus
Two SD card slots and USB-C port
Double the fps with no blackout
A9-esque AF

Surprised they are not charging 25% more lol

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:03 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

snapsy wrote:
Looks like they removed support for apps like they did on the A9.

That would be super-annoying if it means the return of the "Warning, shooting in NTSC" bug/feature when you buy a camera in a PAL region but switch it to shoot in NTSC (to open up more FPS options in 4k video).

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:04 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

justruss wrote:
Quick question: Is the high (15 stops!) DR really only at low resolution-- or should that read low ISO?

Low resolution + high DR doesn't really do much for me since the places I tend to need high DR (landscapes/city-scapes) are also the places where I tend to need high resolution.

Who knows at this point. I don’t expect higher DR to be honest, probably some marketing BS based on you using the pixel shift feature. It should reduce noise.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:05 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

thenoilif wrote:
The price is the same. The A7rii was $3,200 at launch
EVF resolution increased to match the A9
It will have a touchscreen
Plus
Two SD card slots and USB-C port
Double the fps with no blackout
A9-esque AF

Surprised they are not charging 25% more lol

In certain ways it makes the a9's pricing seem excessive. Thoughts?

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:06 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Nikon and Canon much be in shock!
There goes the air in the D850's sails!

I was hoping for the FE400/4 so I could heft it. I'll keep adapting the 400DOii in the mean time.

Sorry I err to disagree. The D850 sales will continue unabated as there is still a definite place for DSLR's alongside the different MILC's available now.

The A7rIII is the camera that I am definitely interested in and will be getting, but I see it as a replacement for my Fuji system rather the my D850.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:06 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

There is a new pixel shift four-shot feature to give full RGB colour in each pixel. I wonder if Sony could extend this via firmware to become an 8-shot high res mode like the one in the Olympus OM-D cameras. Then the camera could potentially offer a 100mp full RGB high res mode.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:07 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

thrice wrote:
I don't get the appeal for landscapers. Either you're shooting grads or bracketing so 1 stop isn't huge.

Or you don't shoot grads, and movement prevents bracketing.

thrice wrote:
Multishot is useless for 90% of scenes.

Multishot is useful for between 0% and 100% of scenes, depending on what you shoot.

thrice wrote:
no evf improvement ... and no touchscreen

The A7RIII gets the improved A9 EVF and touchscreen.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:07 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

rji2goleez wrote:
Perhaps now it will be a7r followed by a9r. A7r would be faster and the a9r would be a better landscape machine with higher pixel count but lower frame rate.

The A9 is a high speed body aimed at high end professional sports photographers and photojournalists.

Professional studio/landscape photographers using the 35mm format are much fewer, so it seems unlikely to see a slow, high MP body aimed at them, especially since the A7R III gets dual card slots, extra controls and the larger battery.

Sony's competitive advantage lies in making high speed sensors, not in pushing the megapixel count up. If you look back Sony have at no point been the leader in resolution (the A7R came out after the D800, the A7RII came out after the 5Ds)...

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:14 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Ah thanks for clearing up for me, better evf and touchscreen is good.

I prefaced my entire post by saying it doesn't make sense for landscape shooters to upgrade so you can fairly make the assumption that this is the use case I am considering.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:16 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

charles.K wrote:
Sorry I err to disagree. The D850 sales will continue unabated as there is still a definite place for DSLR's alongside the different MILC's available now.

The A7rIII is the camera that I am definitely interested in and will be getting, but I see it as a replacement for my Fuji system rather the my D850.

The fiercest competition for the D850 will be the new multishot feature of the A7R3, particularly for studio use. It will mitigate Bayer aliasing artifacts for stuff like fabrics and fine print document photography, e.g. old, historical documents and manuscripts in a library. Olympus OM-D cameras offer a multi-shot feature, with two modes, one to mitigate Bayer artifacts and one to increase resolution with half pixel shift. Maybe there will be a D850x?

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:17 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

The MTF of the new 24-105/4 looks better than that of the Zony 24-70/4, if they are to be believed. Maybe it's time to sell my Zony 24-70/4 now? Reviews will be interesting!

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:21 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

thrice wrote:

All I shoot is landscape and 1 stop is great. I don’t own grads and I rarely bracket as most scenes don’t need it with the DR the camera already has - but the more the better.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:22 AM
dgpfotografia
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

dolina wrote:
* USB-C should be Thunderbolt 3 so it can combine video (remove micro HDMI), data and charging (remove micro USB) thus allowing for less weight & space.

Being able to send an HDMI signal over an USB-C connector is independent if it is a Thunderbolt 3 or not. Google makes an adaptor for their phones to have HDMI over USB-C and they don't have thunderbolt: https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_hdmi_adapter . Even the first macbooks that have USB-C and do not have thunderbolt to send the HDMI signal over USB-C.

USB-C only defines the physical form of the connection and the type of signals it can send: USB3 Gen1, USB3 Gen2, audio, HDMI, power, Thunderbolt3... then it will depend on the manufacture to send those signals via that port.

Sony decided only to support power and USB3 Gen 1 signals... just reading the specs.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:26 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

The A7r III seems a good successor to the A7rII, especially for those who value speed and professional use for many different tasks.

For me personally, the A7rIII only addresses issues that I don't value that much, or already have in the 5DS R, or can't use, but it doesn't address the issues I have with the A7r II. Of course it addresses the issue I have with the 5DS R (dynamic range), but so does the old models as well, and sufficiently.

Don't need: 10 fps, USB 3, video

Can't use: Pixel shift

Already have: Larger battery, dual cards, adequate AF

Doesn't address: Lower resolution than 5DS R, worse long exposure noise, no lossless compressed RAW.

In sum, this camera does not tempt me to leave my ecosystem any more than the A7r II did.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:27 AM
thenoilif

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

MedicineMan404 wrote:
In certain ways it makes the a9's pricing seem excessive. Thoughts?

I don't know. the A9 still has class-leading capabilities with its crazy fps, blackout, and af.
Nothing on this camera makes it stand above the D850 besides its smaller size and the e-mount lenses. They couldn't price this above the competition so it seems that this camera may actually be underpriced if there is such a thing at $3200.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:29 AM
chrismscotland
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Looks pretty good, what I'd have hoped for in an A7RIII really, suspect that pixelshift will be like it is on other bodies I've tried and actually of limited use in a lot of cases, even for landscaping.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:30 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.