p.2 #1 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
Agreed. I had a friend in university who had to worry about dying if he mistakenly consumed too large a quantity of peanuts from some insufficiently labelled product, and in those days, this was not uncommon.
p.2 #2 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
I'm an MD and remember having a conversation with some pediatricians about why nut allergies are so much more common today (my son has them and stops breathing if we don't get him to the ER when it happens).
A lot of reasons were tossed around, until one of the older docs said: It's a lethal condition unless the sufferer is educated and prepared. 30 years ago no one knew about nut allergies so no one was educated or prepared. The logical conclusion as to why you didn't see a lot of teenage nut allergy sufferers 30 years ago is pretty obvious.
p.2 #4 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
RCicala wrote:
I guess this means you guys don't think I'm going to make a fortune selling my patented self-adhesive lens-release button light seals?? Come on, only $19.95
Have you considered selling the license to Sony? Then you would get the money without having to worry about distribution and customer support
p.2 #5 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
It seems you really can get any thing you want at Alice's Restaurant.
I just wonder if Barney Fife was using an A7r while taking photos of that infamous trash dumping escapade if they would have turned out well enough to obtain a conviction and allow our friend Arlo to avoid the draft or if the whole soiree would have ended with Arlo setting in a wet hole in SE Asia, eating Peanuts.
p.2 #8 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
Giving credit for confirming this stated issue. I don't see it as a big deal - I always carry a bigger microfiber cloth with me anyways, so just wrapping it around the lens or adapter connection a few times should resolve the issue, too.
Out of curiousity: does the light leak issue remain in case the Metabones III adapter is attached to the A7(R) body, too? I didn't test this yet myself.
I wonder if Sony might do an expensive recall to fix this.....
p.2 #9 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
JCDoss wrote:
If it lets light leak, it probably lets water leak. That's a bigger issue in my mind, since this was marketed as a weatherproof camera.
Someone else mentioned this in another thread a while back. It's also curious that, at least in the U.S., all mention about the weather resistance of the Sony A7/A7r is gone in item descriptions at major retailers and on the Sony website. When the cameras were released, this was touted as a feature. hmm.
To be fair, I don't think even upon release these cameras were claimed to be "weather proof" (at least by Sony), which is a higher bar than just claiming weather resistance...but, do we really know what any of these terms mean? I think Roger has some insight about that.
p.2 #10 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
Tariq Gibran wrote:
Someone else mentioned this in another thread a while back. It's also curious that, at least in the U.S., all mention about the weather resistance of the Sony A7/A7r is gone in item descriptions at major retailers and on the Sony website. When the cameras were released, this was touted as a feature. hmm.
"Carefree shooting in tough environments is yours thanks to comprehensive dust and moisture resistance measures that enhance reliability by helping to prevent water and dust from entering the body. These measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components."
p.2 #11 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
Tariq Gibran wrote:
To be fair, I don't think even upon release these cameras were claimed to be "weather proof" (at least by Sony), which is a higher bar than just claiming weather resistance...but, do we really know what any of these terms mean? I think Roger has some insight about that.
Indeed, I overstated the claim. My mistake... I should have said "weather resistant."
Hmm . . . seems the first couple of hits on this are due to people not using the eyepiece shutter.
I've done very long exposures with my D800 and noticed no problems at all. Sometimes the lens can have a light leak.
p.2 #13 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
johnvanr wrote:
Wrong analogy. My kids have nut allergies. I've seen them choke up, I've taken them to the ER. I've seen the full ER staff scrambling around my daughter to get her right. Nut allergies have nothing to do with hyper-obsessivity or any imagined behavior. It's very real and extremely scary.
Sorry, wasn't saying it's not a real issue. Just the prevalence of reporting seems to have increased.
My sense about it is very similar to what Roger posted above about the allergies. I'm guessing light leaks have been an issue for years, but until people became educated about them and the internet echo chamber took over, they were simply not talked about as much.
p.2 #14 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
One thing I do know is a while back when the Phoblographer wanted to put his loaner Pentax under running water, they said fine. I know one reviewer who asked to do the same thing with an A7 loaner and the response was buy one if you want to do that. Probably just corporate policy, Nikon or Canon won't let you either. Or maybe not.
Anyway, the more I take apart cameras and lenses, the more I put baggies over every bit of my gear if the humidity is over 80% Even the ones that are robustly weather sealed with gaskets everywhere - well, you should see what button gaskets look like after a few months of rental use.
p.2 #15 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
Thanks for the test..
However, my first impression of reading the article was... long shutter and high iso simultaneously doesn't make sense... you either do one or the other. I can't think of any sort of photography would involve such setting.
I am not saying it's not a design flaw, but in order to replicate such problem, one actually has to push the camera to a limit that one never uses. So much so that I think it's silly to even bring it up.
p.2 #16 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
azenis wrote:
Thanks for the test..
However, my first impression of reading the article was... long shutter and high iso simultaneously doesn't make sense... you either do one or the other. I can't think of any sort of photography would involve such setting.
I am not saying it's not a design flaw, but in order to replicate such problem, one actually has to push the camera to a limit that one never uses. So much so that I think it's silly to even bring it up.
I think Roger was satirical about having to point a light source so close to the mount during high ISO and long exposures. This is something photographers wouldn't usually do in real world situations. It could happen when shooting in studio with strobes but then the exposure and ISO would be much smaller.
With the A7R, I can shoot at ISO 25000 and 30 seconds (or higher) with the cap or FE 35mm f/2.8 lens without getting a single light streak. However, pointing a flash light towards the mount brings the issue.
Something else I noticed:
If I press the A7R mount (Without a lens) on the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock positions, I get a slight movement up/down from it. This could be another source of the light leak issue.
p.2 #18 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
Fred Miranda wrote:
I think Roger was satirical about having to point a light source so close to the mount during high ISO and long exposures. This is something photographers wouldn't usually do in real world situations. It could happen when shooting in studio with strobes but then the exposure and ISO would be much smaller.
With the A7R, I can shoot at ISO 25000 and 30 seconds (or higher) with the cap or FE 35mm f/2.8 lens without getting a single light streak. However, pointing a flash light towards the mount brings the issue.
Something else I noticed:
If I press the A7R mount on the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock positions, I get a slight movement up/down from it.
That could be another source of the light leak issue.
p.2 #19 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
Fred Miranda wrote:
I think Roger was satirical about having to point a light source so close to the mount during high ISO and long exposures. This is something photographers wouldn't usually do in real world situations. It could happen when shooting in studio with strobes but then the exposure and ISO would be much smaller.
With the A7R, I can shoot at ISO 25000 and 30 seconds (or higher) with the cap or FE 35mm f/2.8 lens without getting a single light streak. However, pointing a flash light towards the mount brings the issue.
Fred
i imagine it might show up using a strong ND filter and long exposure in direct sunlight too.
p.2 #20 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak
sebboh wrote:
i imagine it might show up using a strong ND filter and long exposure in direct sunlight too.
Scroll halfway down this page and you can see an example of how it indeed does - but it's a pretty extreme use of ND filters. It is notable though that this example is from how this person normally shoots so, in his case, its a big deal.