p.7 #1 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
uhoh7 wrote:
OSX 10.9.2
Not sure what all the fuss is about re process.
I set storage to mass, ran installer, plugged in hit next, then reset on the camera when asked, then off it went. about 6 min later it was done. No issues. Battery at 61% going in, 62% after
was on FM browsing while the update was working
pretty darn simple.
Glad your experience went smoothly. I did the same thing as you and had to try six times before it worked.
p.7 #2 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
johntruong wrote:
Just updated and did a test on the RAW. RAW images still capped around 36 megs and I can still make the images posterize with how I process.
I know some do not see this compression issue and/or may find it irrelevant, but it largely depends on how one processes their RAW. Unfortunately, I see it quite frequently - and not just in high contrast areas but also in areas that require smooth modulation in values or tones.
I can even make the dpreview default test scene posterize (A7r RAW vs D800E RAW). Was hoping this update with either improve the lossy algorithm or give the user an option to choose lossless. It is somewhat heartbreaking to me because aside from this issue, I really love the camera....Show more →
It's possible to get posterization on any camera's RAW files with the right processing and this doesn't really mean anything. It may be easier to posterize the A7 files compared to the D800 or 5D3, but simply being able to posterize them in itself doesn't say anything.
Also what bit mode are you working in? 16-bit mode can make it a lot more difficult to create obvious posterization than 8-bit, if you weren't already aware.
p.7 #4 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Five fails before success. Following instructions meticulously of course. Playmemories Bloatware icon on camera. Various error messages. Long waits without knowing whats going on. Windows of course.
p.7 #5 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
cannot find the dang A7 cable but I do have the cable that came with the Nex 6 and Nex 7. Do I dare use either of those, FW instructions always sound so ominous! THANKS
p.7 #6 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Yes, if the software gets the contact you should be as fine as with the original. The problem seem to be to get it connected. No update can start without it.
p.7 #9 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Given Sony's app program it's a bit surprising that they dont do it though those means. An update app totally independent of cables and connections to various computers with various OS's.
p.7 #10 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
'I can still make the images posterize with how I process.' 'I see it quite frequently'
Have you considered teaching post-processing? This seems to be quite a valuable skill - almost a sixth sense - and one that is in high demand in certain parts of the webosphere commentariat.
p.7 #14 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
If anyone like me have had really slow WIFI transfer of images I can report that in my case it has gone down from 45-50 sec/image to 25. That is a big improvement for me.
(I have a vry standard but fast WIFI at home, wireless router is an Apple Airport Express/802.11n)
p.7 #15 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
retrofocus wrote:
Yesterday evening I tested a few of my EF lenses on the A7R with Metabones III adapter. They all were faster with AF after the update. Still slower compared to directly mounted on my Canon 5D MkII, but definitely better compared to before the firmware update on the A7R. To me this is the most visible change after the update.
I should check the AF speed with my A7, metabones III and 70-300mm L. I know it was pretty slow the first time I tried it out when my metabones adapter came in the mail. The speed surely wasn't going to win any awards. haha! Maybe with this new firmware I can try my luck with the combo at the zoo now.
p.7 #16 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
flash wrote:
Three cameras. All went through smoothly on the first try. As other have said, start up is faster. Not sure about AF so far. It might ne a bit better.
Didn't loose my settings which was nice. Micro contrast adjust settings for my a mount lenses etc. still there.
p.7 #18 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
I used a cable from a two year old Blackberry. Worked fine
joanlvh wrote:
cannot find the dang A7 cable but I do have the cable that came with the Nex 6 and Nex 7. Do I dare use either of those, FW instructions always sound so ominous! THANKS
p.7 #19 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Surprised to see so many issues with the upgrade process. I used a generic charger cable from an old phone that I keep plugged in to my monitor, I was surfing, torrenting and and watching Archer in the background the entire time, didn't really follow the instructions that closely (but it's pretty linear), and it did what it was supposed to do.
Very curious for someone to take a close look at what this quality improvement really means.
p.7 #20 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
amoma wrote:
It's possible to get posterization on any camera's RAW files with the right processing and this doesn't really mean anything. It may be easier to posterize the A7 files compared to the D800 or 5D3, but simply being able to posterize them in itself doesn't say anything.
Also what bit mode are you working in? 16-bit mode can make it a lot more difficult to create obvious posterization than 8-bit, if you weren't already aware.
When you say "it doesn't mean anything", that will depend on the photographer. It may not mean anything to you (which is fine), and some photographers may not push the RAW file far enough to see any of this posterization --- but in my case, it means a lot. It is actually paramount to how I shoot and how I process.
There is no reason for me to make any of this up other than the fact I would love Sony to give the user the option to put in lossless RAW or uncompressed RAW --- but if you want, I can show actual working examples of this. You can also look at my Flickr page. I shoot professionally with both a Canon 1DX and a Nikon D800E, so I do have a pretty good point of reference.
Also, what do you mean by "16-bit" mode? Are you referring to the RAW? All RAWs from Canon and Nikon are 14-bit, and Sony claims 14-bit RAW recording, but as some have shown on the forums here as well as digilloyd, Sony's RAW files are not true 14-bit.