fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       8       9       end
  

Archive 2014 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

  
 
briantho
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


And now my 5R is updated too. Same process.


Mar 19, 2014 at 03:54 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


After the reset, there was something on the LCD about it restoring something, can't remember the exact wording.

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's weird because one of the update steps is to reset the camera (which has to be done manually when prompted).
However, all system settings are maintained after the update is finalized.




Mar 19, 2014 at 03:56 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


After reading the positive statements about the update experiments, I decided to give it a try. Worked perfectly the first time - Windows 8.1 (64bit). Followed the advice to close all other programs and don't do anything else on the PC during the 10 minute update cycle. Also detached adapter and lens from the camera body before. Still a pretty cumbersome update process - highly recommend to print out the instructions ahead of time and follow exactly step by step including the warning hints.
Also saw the restore message directly after the update was completed - simply don't do anything at this point, wait until the LCD screen with the USB info comes back (the screen goes dark once during this time but comes back after a couple seconds). Patience is key in this process.

So far improvement which I see is quicker start-up time and a bit faster AF on my EF lens tested (Canon 50/1.2). Still a time delay in the magnification function to review zoomed part of the taken photo.



Mar 19, 2014 at 04:27 PM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


I much prefer the Ricoh approach to upgrades. No OS specific needs - just copy file onto an empty card, pop a charged battery in, start up camera with special key sequence and done.

On the other hand, the instructions were clear enough to follow and it worked first time as I expected it should.

My concern would be that while the process isn't overly complex, it is complex enough that people are bound to make mistakes and end up with support calls into Sony or worse.



Mar 19, 2014 at 07:02 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


michaelwatkins wrote:
I much prefer the Ricoh approach to upgrades. No OS specific needs - just copy file onto an empty card, pop a charged battery in, start up camera with special key sequence and done.

On the other hand, the instructions were clear enough to follow and it worked first time as I expected it should.

My concern would be that while the process isn't overly complex, it is complex enough that people are bound to make mistakes and end up with support calls into Sony or worse.


Yes. You can clearly see that Sony is a very engineering-based company, but they are not very consumer-friendly with processes, instructions, or simpler workflows. Here they need to catch up big time. Fortunately the camera itself is great IMO.



Mar 19, 2014 at 07:11 PM
grahamb3
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


retrofocus wrote:
Yes. You can clearly see that Sony is a very engineering-based company, but they are not very consumer-friendly with processes, instructions, or simpler workflows. Here they need to catch up big time. Fortunately the camera itself is great IMO.


Sony used the memory card on the a700 (2007) and a850 (2009) for firmware upgrades. The a77 (2011) was the first camera (I owned) to use the USB connection.

I've had no problem using the USB method on my a77 or a7r. While I prefer the flash card method, I assume Sony had some reason to change to the connected method for updates.

Graham



Mar 19, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Alpha_Geist
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Aside from the updates in the firmware release notes, has anyone noted other nuggets that weren't detailed in the (release) notes?

Someone earlier mentioned that the histogram display changed slightly as well as a few people mentioning that their adapted Canon L series glass seems to focus slightly faster (may have to do with adjustments made to speed up the power up/off of the camera).

There also was a claim that AF under poor light suffered with the new firmware update.

Anyone have any other undocumented nuggets that have been noticed?



Mar 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Peire
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #8 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


The longest and the most frustrating update process in my life.I think cavemen had better updating tools Sony,you most innovative company of the carbon era.

Edited on Mar 20, 2014 at 08:29 AM · View previous versions



Mar 20, 2014 at 01:57 AM
johntruong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #9 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Fred Miranda wrote:
It worked after my second try.
For those wondering if lossless or uncompressed RAW was added to image quality options...Nope.
The "image quality improvement" mentioned in the firmware was probably for the jpeg engine only.



Just updated and did a test on the RAW. RAW images still capped around 36 megs and I can still make the images posterize with how I process.

I know some do not see this compression issue and/or may find it irrelevant, but it largely depends on how one processes their RAW. Unfortunately, I see it quite frequently - and not just in high contrast areas but also in areas that require smooth modulation in values or tones.

I can even make the dpreview default test scene posterize (A7r RAW vs D800E RAW). Was hoping this update with either improve the lossy algorithm or give the user an option to choose lossless. It is somewhat heartbreaking to me because aside from this issue, I really love the camera.



Mar 20, 2014 at 02:03 AM
aeonsim
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #10 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Engadget seems to have a bit more detail about what exactly changed with regards to image quality.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/sony-a7-a7r-firmware/



Mar 20, 2014 at 02:14 AM
Zorak Zoran
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #11 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Did the update last night, no problems. Startup time is indeed better, and I noticed a new thing :
I was in M mode, changed the iso, and I noticed there's now a new option left of "auto iso". Didn't had time to test it, it seems it's another auto iso, and I don't remember seeing it here, but don't know what the changes are, and I won't be able to test it before I go back home.



Mar 20, 2014 at 04:12 AM
LightShow
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #12 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


One of the most clumsy updates I've ever been forced to go through.
I didn't see anything in the menu to fix any of my nit picks.
-To map C2 to toggle EVF & LCD.
-Playback is still not like NEX-7
-Manual focus assist needs to be more customizable.
-more options for peaking(like zebra)



Mar 20, 2014 at 05:00 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #13 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Alpha_Geist wrote:
Aside from the updates in the firmware release notes, has anyone noted other nuggets that weren't detailed in the (release) notes?

Someone earlier mentioned that the histogram display changed slightly as well as a few people mentioning that their adapted Canon L series glass seems to focus slightly faster (may have to do with adjustments made to speed up the power up/off of the camera).

There also was a claim that AF under poor light suffered with the new firmware update.

Anyone have any other undocumented nuggets that have been noticed?


Yesterday evening I tested a few of my EF lenses on the A7R with Metabones III adapter. They all were faster with AF after the update. Still slower compared to directly mounted on my Canon 5D MkII, but definitely better compared to before the firmware update on the A7R. To me this is the most visible change after the update.



Mar 20, 2014 at 07:02 AM
KiboOst
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #14 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


I tested my 24-70II after upgrade, sincerely it may be a bit faster at AF, but still so slow it isn't fair to say it :/
my 2cents.



Mar 20, 2014 at 07:50 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #15 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


KiboOst wrote:
I tested my 24-70II after upgrade, sincerely it may be a bit faster at AF, but still so slow it isn't fair to say it :/
my 2cents.


I don't have the 24-70/2.8 II lens, but also on my lenses the AF is slow compared to using them directly on a Canon camera body, I agree. That's why event shooters will stay away from the A7R with non-Sony lenses attached. But if you had the same AF performance on the A7 series compared to a Canon camera body.....wow. Canon would be really in trouble in this market segment.



Mar 20, 2014 at 09:17 AM
fungz0r
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #16 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


No problems updating for me, used some random cable I had lying around, didn't close all my applications either.

Noticeably faster AF, and better AF with the FE 35. Doesn't do the weird focusing on the background from the couple tests I've done in my room.



Mar 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Sami Ruusunen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Zorak Zoran wrote:
Did the update last night, no problems. Startup time is indeed better, and I noticed a new thing :
I was in M mode, changed the iso, and I noticed there's now a new option left of "auto iso". Didn't had time to test it, it seems it's another auto iso, and I don't remember seeing it here, but don't know what the changes are, and I won't be able to test it before I go back home.


It's the "Multi Frame NR" in high iso, it was there already before the update.



Mar 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM
akuba
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #18 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


johntruong wrote:
Just updated and did a test on the RAW. RAW images still capped around 36 megs and I can still make the images posterize with how I process.


You were hoping Sony made an update that would break all RAW converter compatibility, and that they did not announce this update nor make it opt-in via the menu?



Mar 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM
uhoh7
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #19 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


OSX 10.9.2

Not sure what all the fuss is about re process.

I set storage to mass, ran installer, plugged in hit next, then reset on the camera when asked, then off it went. about 6 min later it was done. No issues. Battery at 61% going in, 62% after

was on FM browsing while the update was working

pretty darn simple.



Mar 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Zorak Zoran
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #20 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Sami Ruusunen wrote:
It's the "Multi Frame NR" in high iso, it was there already before the update.


Hum. Sorry, didn't notice.



Mar 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1       2       3       …       5              7       8       9       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       8       9       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account