p.5 #1 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Wow, that was sure a bogus update mess! Follow their instructions and the camera display a PlayMemories screen when you hook up the usb cable. Had to get rid of that, of course the updater fails at this point. Finally after leaving the cable attached then turning on the camera, it worked. Agree with others, why in the heck did they do it this way vs loading it on to an SD card, pretty lame. So it's done and for all of that we only get a faster boot time? Haven't noticed anything else, so far...
p.5 #3 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Reading others forum, seems UI is generally more responsive, faster focus magnifier, etc. New firmware always fix some stuff here and there that are not on the spec list, that's why I will do it even if nothing interest me in the new firmware (uncompressed raw, shutter delay, etc ??)
p.5 #4 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
It worked on the first try for my A7 on a Mac.
The update is a nice upgrade for me since I mostly shoot jpegs and I switch my camera on and off a lot in-between shots. The AF does seem snappier and seems better in low light.
p.5 #5 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Installed the update, no problems.. My tips:
1) Do exactly what the Sony installer tells you to do
2) Plug the USB-cable directly on computer, not through some USB-hubs which might cause extra problems
3) better not do anything extra while the update is installing
So it's not that bad. It seems worth installing, turning on camera indeed seems bit faster now and overall bit less sluggish zooming function. Too bad we did not get the lossless raw i was hoping for
p.5 #6 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
I experienced an error during first attempt. Maybe because of browsing the internet during the process, and not following the Sony recommendation about not using other apps while transferring the upgrade.
5 attempts after that were unsuccessful, and I thought my A7 was bricked.
Finally, inserted a fresh battery and the 6th retry worked.
So indeed, follow precisely the Sony instructions, even if cumbersome.
p.5 #7 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
The upgrade worked after the second attempt. I also thought mine "bricked" the first time around. The Sony way of firmware upgrade is definitely more finicky than what I am used to. Oh, well.
p.5 #9 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Worked fine. Startup and especially restart are a lot faster. Scrolling through pictures and moving around a zoomed picture no longer hesitate. Still ridiculously slow by DSLR standards. Hooray, the A7r has almost caught up to 2004 DSLR's! Reminds me in use of my original Canon 1Ds (battery life too ) but I forgive it everything for being a tiny fraction of the weight and size and with IQ I couldn't have begun to dream of in those days.
p.5 #11 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Wow this firmware updater is crap. I just tried four times and it aborted each time. Not sure what the issue is, maybe I looked at it wrong. I'll try again later after sprinkling some holy water on the USB cable.
p.5 #12 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
i appreciate all the warnings to precisely, in every detail follow Sony's instructions with the installation. i hope the real upgrade will not raise the bar in how closely you must conform.
p.5 #13 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Shameful, they left the manually adapted glass user out in the cold still... I'm appreciative of the startup speed, but... We still NEED this.
Focus Magnifier / Zoom in one button press like NEX. NOT 2 clicks = extraneous.
Further expanding on this would be an additional menu option that would have the option to change the behavior of the one click, where one click can equal any of these 3 user pref. Maximum magnification first, Minimum magnification first or the current style framing mode.
p.5 #15 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Successfully installed my update A7r but took two tries with Windows and its slow. Looks like Sony did absolutely nothing with this update don't see a need for. I would say that the low light focusing is worse and can't see anything positive about the files that are being produced now. What a waste of time!
p.5 #17 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
dennishh wrote:
Successfully installed my update A7r but took two tries with Windows and its slow. Looks like Sony did absolutely nothing with this update don't see a need for. I would say that the low light focusing is worse and can't see anything positive about the files that are being produced now. What a waste of time!
Sounds like an update to skip for this A7 user. Darn, I was really hoping they'd fix the 1/60 thing.
p.5 #18 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
Yeah, I am going to skip this one for now. I would like the speed improvements, but it is way down the list of things I was hoping to see here, and I don't want to risk bricking my camera due to brain-dead upgrade procedures, so maybe next time. This is really disappointing.
p.5 #20 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th
James Burden wrote:
So the upgrade wipes all user settings doesn't it? aka normal
It's weird because one of the update steps is to reset the camera (which has to be done manually when prompted).
However, all system settings are maintained after the update is finalized.