fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       8       9       end
  

Archive 2014 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

  
 
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


1. Play Goodnight Irene on shutdown.




Mar 16, 2014 at 03:56 PM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Available first in Australia... rest of world to catch up soon:

http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/ilce-7r

I'm not going first. Seriously.



Mar 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Julio Marcos
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


I did it. Although at some point during the update I got a connection error and I thought I bricked it (permanent orange LED by the SD card). But tried again and it worked.
It does start up faster



Mar 19, 2014 at 12:41 AM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


My reluctance to go first was caused by a report of someone on DPR who appears to have bricked theirs, or needs to try again. Yet numbers of others on DPR have made it through... maybe I'll do it yet.


Mar 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Update: Download Firmware v1.02

Sony A7R: Mac | PC

Sony A7: Mac | PC


I just tried to update my firmware and in the middle of the fifth step "Run the Update", there was an error message.
Now the camera won't power on at all. (removing batteries, etc...).

I will try running the FirmwareUpdater app again.

Fred



Mar 19, 2014 at 01:02 AM
Tmuussoni
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


No mention of lossless raw in the update?


Mar 19, 2014 at 01:04 AM
secondclaw
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


So I managed to flash it successfully on second try, but then EVF no longer came on after it rebooted. I made a mistake of changing display setting to EVF only and I now I can't see a way to even factory-reset this thing. Any ideas how to do that?

I can probably get a micro hdmi cable and plug it into a monitor ...



Mar 19, 2014 at 01:08 AM
Julio Marcos
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Fred Miranda wrote:
I just tried to update my firmware and in the middle of the fifth step "Run the Update", there was an error message.
Now the camera won't power on at all. (removing batteries, etc...).

I recommend holding OFF.

I will try running the FirmwareUpdater again.

Fred


That's exactly what happened to me but it managed to recover on the second attempt.



Mar 19, 2014 at 01:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Julio Marcos wrote:
That's exactly what happened to me but it managed to recover on the second attempt.


It worked after my second try.
For those wondering if lossless or uncompressed RAW was added to image quality options...Nope.
The "image quality improvement" mentioned in the firmware was probably for the jpeg engine only.



Mar 19, 2014 at 01:24 AM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Did mine, worked correctly first try. Yay.

Startup is definitely faster, both in the case where the camera has been off for a while (where it wasn't awful anyway) and in the case where one shuts off the camera and suddenly finds a need to turn it on again (start up used to be quite slow in this case).




Mar 19, 2014 at 01:32 AM
JaKo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Fred Miranda wrote:
It worked after my second try.
For those wondering if lossless or uncompressed RAW was added to image quality options...Nope.
The "image quality improvement" mentioned in the firmware was probably for the jpeg engine only.


After the upgrade images size seems to be the same; around 35-36 MB each.
Quick check of menu items doesn't show anything new or different.
Start-up is definitely faster.




Mar 19, 2014 at 01:44 AM
aeonsim
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #12 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Fred Miranda wrote:
I just tried to update my firmware and in the middle of the process there was an "update was aborted" error message.
Now the camera is not working at all (removing batteries, etc...). It won't power up no matter what I tried so far.

Fred


I see some users are reporting they manage to fix it by attempting to reflashing the camera several times until one completed.
See the posts by Absolutic.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3642840

I just flashed my A7 with out problems on OSX 10.9, read the instructions through about 4 times and double checked everything! Like the others start up has improved don't really notice anything else yet.



Mar 19, 2014 at 01:45 AM
akuba
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


JaKo wrote:
After the upgrade images size seems to be the same; around 35-36 MB each.


Sony's compression algorithm produces a fixed-size payload - the only variation comes from metadata & thumbnails. You can't use the file size as proxy for amount of detail with these cameras as you might with some others.



Mar 19, 2014 at 01:49 AM
capt3450
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


I just updated mine, worked flawlessly on the first attempt, although took longer than 5 min to finish the update. (Thanks for the aussi's link). Been notice camera start-up little bit faster. Could be my imagination but seems my cheap EF-NEX AF adapter focus faster with a bunch of my EF's L lenese. Only disappoint is the "4K still image PB" still not enable yet.

-capt3450



Mar 19, 2014 at 01:58 AM
Paul Gardner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Just completed doing mine. I had problems connecting through my USB 3.0 ports and had to fire up an older computer with USB 2.0 ports. After that update ran without any problems, but very slooow. Maybe ten minutes so be patient. The camera screen is BLACK until the update completes. The application does have a indicator of run time though. be sure and follow the instructions to the letter. as it does seem strange to have to do device removal on the PC and have the camera screen turn black


Mar 19, 2014 at 05:59 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


I better wait a bit to update my camera....some people report severe issues during the update process (see above) and also on other forum sites.


Mar 19, 2014 at 06:42 AM
reprazent1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


No problems here, updated at work on USB3 port with an el cheapo third party cable. Take around 10mins: hella slow because it has to go through usb...i mean come on Sony, using this method is like going back to the stone age. Why not update through the memorycard like everyone else does, that way you'll have zero risks of disconnects or connection problems.


Mar 19, 2014 at 08:22 AM
artur5
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


I had no issues updating my A7r but, indeed, it was slow. Of course, is a huge 180Mb file and that explains in part the long time
Yes, startup is way faster, thank God.
Also, it seems to me that the Live histogram graph looks now a bit different. Before the firmware update it was like a full area moving rather sluggishly and now it's more like independent vertical bars updating faster, if you know what I mean..



Mar 19, 2014 at 08:40 AM
KiboOst
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #19 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th


Didn't updated but I've just read instructions : WOW ! On all my Canon EOS, just copy the file on the card, powerup the camera and that's it ! Amazing how Sony can complicate things ...


Mar 19, 2014 at 08:54 AM
tsdevine
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #20 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th



Now if Sony would only add a direct print button...

KiboOst wrote:
Didn't updated but I've just read instructions : WOW ! On all my Canon EOS, just copy the file on the card, powerup the camera and that's it ! Amazing how Sony can complicate things ...




Mar 19, 2014 at 09:05 AM
1       2       3              5       …       8       9       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       8       9       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account