Thanks for sharing your thoughts reseem, and really nice images You simply yet nicely demonstrated the intended target audience of this lens and why it does such a great job at that.
As for the "elephant in the room", I would love to see samples from the Otus for moving models/kids/etc... outdoors at 1.4 then we can discuss the elephantine
@kape06111: congrats! I know you'll enjoy the lens
@williamkazak: I love using flare in my images, and the 58 controls contrast quite well in these situations.
Thank you everyone again for checking out my review!
Thanks for the great review. Great images. I was down to this lens and the 85mm 1.4g, but ended up gong with the 85mm just because I think the focal length suits my style of shooting, but this lens is still on my mind.
Just got this lens today. Also have the Sigma 50mm ordered. Going to compare them for a while.
First impressions of the 58mm.... gonna eat my own words here. (one of the naysayers) Sharp enough for my needs. Sharpness definitely improves shooting at a distance. F1.4 within 4 feet and you get some softness and fringing. At 5 feet though, it is surprisingly sharp considering the reviews I have read.
Hardcore wrote:
Just got this lens today. Also have the Sigma 50mm ordered. Going to compare them for a while.
First impressions of the 58mm.... gonna eat my own words here. (one of the naysayers) Sharp enough for my needs. Sharpness definitely improves shooting at a distance. F1.4 within 4 feet and you get some softness and fringing. At 5 feet though, it is surprisingly sharp considering the reviews I have read.
I passed up on this lens in favor of Sigma 50 art. I will be very interested in your comparison of these two.
Here is a quick shot of the 58mm @ F1.4 vs the Sigma 35mm @ F1.4. I'm at work. Very quick test just to see the difference in sharpness. Tried to frame the image similarly, but a bit off.
reesem wrote:
@supermario343: good call!
@Hardcore: looking forward to the comparison of the Siggy and Nikon!
The example shot from the Siggy 35 looks awesome!
It looks a lot better for sharpness, but the bokeh on the 58mm is much much better. Here is the full size image. More blur with the 58mm so this is a bit unfair. Basically comparing apples to oranges on this one, but thought I'd post for anyone interested. I will also add in the 50mm F1.8g to the mix once I get all 3.
Hardcore wrote:
It looks a lot better for sharpness, but the bokeh on the 58mm is much much better. Here is the full size image. More blur with the 58mm so this is a bit unfair. Basically comparing apples to oranges on this one, but thought I'd post for anyone interested. I will also add in the 50mm F1.8g to the mix once I get all 3.
the siggy is sharp, but in this image, the bokeh strains my eyes...fwiw, i own the siggy 35 too.
Hardcore wrote:
It looks a lot better for sharpness, but the bokeh on the 58mm is much much better. Here is the full size image. More blur with the 58mm so this is a bit unfair. Basically comparing apples to oranges on this one, but thought I'd post for anyone interested. I will also add in the 50mm F1.8g to the mix once I get all 3.
I see one as artistic and the other as journalistic. One is dreamy, the other is clinical. Picking one over the other depends on what you're trying to do.
ohsnaphappy wrote:
I see one as artistic and the other as journalistic. One is dreamy, the other is clinical. Picking one over the other depends on what you're trying to do.
Bit over simplistic. I'd like to test them for myself. Not so sure I'd pigeon hole either one of those lenses into those categories.