Still unsure about this lens. Focus is tough.... I've used many F1.4 lenses along with many 85mm's and I have not found any to be as difficult to focus as this one.
As a basic rule I don't shoot any lens wide open. Shutting it down a stop or so gives me enough isolation. The exception is the 70-200, which is pretty good WO. My camera handles higher ISOs pretty good. I have found the 58mm does not handle fast/quick moving situations, such as dancing. It tends to focus shift in these situations.
BTW, real cute boy you have there. Looks like a handful.
I'm a sucker for wide open.... Yes he is cute, and your right... a total handful. Really needs a haircut at the moment though!
I've been thinking a lot about your comment of not shooting this lens wide open. I have done some quick comparisons with the 50mm F1.8g. If one does not shoot this lens wide open, then why not just shoot with the 50mm 1.8g? It actually has a bit more contrast, about the same sharpness with slightly more nervous bokeh. I'd say the bokeh is about a 1/2 stop behind the 58mm, but really nothing anyone would ever notice if you didn't compare them side by side.
Hardcore wrote:
I'm a sucker for wide open.... Yes he is cute, and your right... a total handful. Really needs a haircut at the moment though!
I've been thinking a lot about your comment of not shooting this lens wide open. I have done some quick comparisons with the 50mm F1.8g. If one does not shoot this lens wide open, then why not just shoot with the 50mm 1.8g? It actually has a bit more contrast, about the same sharpness with slightly more nervous bokeh. I'd say the bokeh is about a 1/2 stop behind the 58mm, but really nothing anyone would ever notice if you didn't compare them side by side. ...Show more →
this is a fair concern, however the 58G does much more than just shoot at 1.4 over a 50mm f1.8G. At night this lens is corrected for light sources. the contrast as well on shady areas or low light situations are shifted to draw them 'brighter' which i like. the 58G even at f2 and beyond provides a level of rendering none of the 1.8G primes can deliver, imo. i think this lens certainly draws a lot of attention, not only from the folks that wanted a specialty lens, but from the folks who 'just gotta have f1.4'.
im a sucker for WO too. and i agree, that it is tough to shoot at f1.4 with the 58G. i missed focus on this shot of my babies as i was trying to focus on one of their faces under the carseat shade. the camera probably couldnt get the focus as it was way too dim under direct sunlight and picked up the next best contrasty region....or it could just be my dumb@ss that failed. that happens a lot too. but i still like the shot, the colors i was able to pull out in post, the bokeh, the 3D effect and overall rendition. if i shot this even at f2, i dont think a 50mm f1.8 shot at f2 would render it like this.
I got this lens yesterday and I had to adjust my AF tune up to +14 on my D3s. The 58mm at 1.4 is softer than my 85mm f/1.8G at 1.8. That depressed me...
I will post more samples later. I have a wedding next weekend and I'll be sure to post a few goodies!
Iluxa007 wrote:
Nice shot James! BUT I wouldn’t buy this to shoot at f/3.5. In that case i’d get a 24-70G...
F/stop is situational. Because a lens can be shot at 1.4 doesn't mean it should always be shot at 1.4. I was just stating the range that most of my 58mm shots were taken, per LR5.
This Lens really delivers. I like it more than I thought I would.
Went out with the wife today. All shot WO.
The bokeh is just indescribable.. It’s so creamy; the 85mm and 50mm wouldn’t be able to produce the same images... I think this **might** (MAYBE) replace my 85mm... Maybe...
James R wrote:
I'm wondering if the focusing issue is more pronounced with the D800 than the D4s. I'm not finding major issues with stationary subjects.
If you spend some time researching this question, quite a few people on several forums have discussed how well the 58 renders on lower MP bodies