fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       …       9       10       end
  

Archive 2011 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss

  
 
denoir
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


As some of you know I spent the last three weeks in the US southwest doing a very intense tour of the national parks. In that period I visited nine national parks, two national recreation areas, two tribal parks and one state park. We started in Denver, Colorado and the road trip ended in San Francisco, California. All in all we covered 7,600 km (4700 miles) and travelled through six different states.

I was travelling with a group of friends that weren’t all that into photography and the schedule was extremely hectic. So I didn’t get to choose the place or the time (i.e. light) to shoot but I still got a fair amount of pictures.

I have been thinking about how I should execute this post. Even if I just post a couple of shots from each park there will be a large amount of photos. So I have to split it up somehow. I’ll start by posting a photo from each place in this post, in alphabetical order. Then as I process the bulk of the shots I’ll do three or four parks per post with 2-4 pictures per park. They will be in chronological order. I’ll make a post ever day or every other day depending on how quickly I can work through them.

Anyway, before I proceed with the images, this being a gear forum, a bit about the gear. I had essentially four cameras with me. The Leica M9, M6 and Canon 5DII & 7D. I lent the 7D to one of my co-travellers and I did not use it at all. The 5DII was intended for tripod based shooting and as a backup system, should the M9 fail. I didn’t use it much and it mostly just stayed in a camera bag in the car.

The M6 did not see much use as I could not be bothered with carrying around two cameras with me. I had some 20 rolls of film with me, but I only used up three.
As for lenses, I had for the Leica the Zeiss 18/4 ZM, Zeiss 25/2.8 ZM, Leica 28/2 Cron ASPH, Leica 35/1.4 Lux ASPH, Zeiss 35/2 ZM, Leica 50/1.4 Lux ASPH & Leica 90/2 Cron ASPH. For the Canon system I had the Zeiss 21/2.8, 50 MP, 100 MP & Canon 70-200/2.8 IS MkII.

My four most used lenses, that I used for about 80% of the shots were the 28 Cron, 90 Cron, ZM 18 & 50 Lux, which was fairly predictable. The most used lens was the 28 Cron (23%) followed by the 90 Cron (17%). The ZM18 & 50 Lux were used equally much (15%).

I had one gear incident. One of my friends dropped my 70-200 onto a concrete pavement. She managed to detach the lens from the camera and it fell, hitting the ground hard. The IS motor broke, but the AF still worked. I’ll have to send it in for repairs (it’s insured). Otherwise there were no problems. In Antelope Canyon I wrapped the M9 in a plastic bag, cut holes for the necessary openings and sealed it with electrical tape. This was a good thing as the plastic bag as well as my 5DII were covered in very fine, almost powder like sand. In Antelope the mighty 21 Distagon failed me for the first time (optically), but I'll tell you about it in a later post.


Anyway, enough talk, on to the image posting thing. Alphabetical order. NP = National Park, NRA = National Recreation Area, TP = Tribal Park, SP = State Park. In case you are wondering what a tribal park is – it’s a park that is in an Indian reservation and under the management of the tribe (in this case the Navajo).


Antelope Canyon TP, Arizona:
http://peltarion.eu/img/zeiss/zeiss21-317.jpg

Arches NP, Utah:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/cron90aa-054.jpg

Canyonlands NP, Utah:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/cron28-105.jpg

Dead Horse Point SP, Utah:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/lux50-161.jpg

Death Valley NP, California:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/lux50-162.jpg

Flaming Gorge NRA, Utah:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/zm18-78.jpg

Glen Canyon NRA, Arizona:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/zm18-79.jpg

Grand Canyon, Arizona:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/cron90aa-055.jpg

Grand Teton NP, Wyoming:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/zm35-77.jpg

Mesa Verde NP, Colorado:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/lux50-163.jpg

Monument Valley TP, Arizona:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/cron90aa-056.jpg

Rocky Mountain NP, Colorado:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/zm18-80.jpg

Yellowstone NP, Wyoming:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/cron28-106.jpg

Yosemite NP, California:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/lux50-164.jpg

Zion NP, Utah:
http://peltarion.eu/img/m9/lux50-165.jpg

Alright, that’s the first round. Now I’ll try to work on my jet lag, although I fear I’m still on California time (9 hours difference) as it is 6 AM here in Stockholm and I have not gone to bed yet.

===================================
Links to other image posts in this thread:

Part 2: Grand Teton & Yellowstone
Part 3: Mesa Verde, Arches & Canyonlands
Part 4: Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon & Horseshoe bend
Part 5: Zion, Death Valley & Yosemite

Edited on Jul 23, 2011 at 03:29 AM · View previous versions



Jul 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Wow, nice set. Hopefully you will get some rest now.


Jul 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM
Benzzene
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Wonderful set of photos...you definitely hit all of the superior photo sites...well done. Benzzene


Jul 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


a great start to this series.


Jul 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM
mco_970
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


What a treat! More please!! I am suing you for a Zeiss 18, BTW. Can't live without it now, it's all your fault.


Jul 15, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Steve Miraglio
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Very nice. Your sense of place is simply amazing. Thank you for sharing.


Jul 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM
hdan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing your tales. Thanks for sharing.


Jul 16, 2011 at 12:02 AM
calvininjax
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


A splendid set of images.


Jul 16, 2011 at 12:10 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


wonderful shots, i'm looking forward to many more.

my favorites so far death valley, mesa verde, and zion (apparently i'm a normal lens kinda guy).



Jul 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Morfeus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Very nice first set, Luka! I eagerly anticipate the others.
I really like all of them, but the b/w image of the Monument Valley is my favorite for now.



Jul 16, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Malkovic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Nice Luka! Looking forward for more photos!


Jul 16, 2011 at 03:16 AM
joakim
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Luka, a great set indeed. It might be wrong to talk about favourites here but one that stands out for me is the fifth one from Death Valley because of its colour range and the patterns the mountains make, maybe the choice of lens is another reason I like it so much


Jul 16, 2011 at 03:43 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


A great set Luka


Jul 16, 2011 at 04:20 AM
Dalmas
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Lars Johnsson wrote:
A great set Luka


+1



Jul 16, 2011 at 04:23 AM
Mike Liu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Very nice images!


Jul 16, 2011 at 04:25 AM
charles.K
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Luka, wow... outstanding start to your series!!!


Jul 16, 2011 at 04:49 AM
Jochenb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Dalmas wrote:
+1


+2



Jul 16, 2011 at 05:00 AM
Sven Jeppesen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Yes great photos


Jul 16, 2011 at 05:08 AM
rsolti13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Luka, great start....eagerly awaiting more. Sure didn't take long for my jaw to drop


Jul 16, 2011 at 05:57 AM
Jim Schemel
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Great set and thanks for sharing.
The two monochrome shots are my favorite.especially Monument Valley TP.What were you using to convert them?
-Jim



Jul 16, 2011 at 06:52 AM
       2       3       …       9       10       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       …       9       10       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account