Gary Clennan wrote:
My, my.... Interesting topic for a photo forum! Well, the exact opposite is true here in Manila. People LOVE to shop over here. It seems like most everyone likes to hang out at the malls most days. When you go shopping somewhere over here, you will have no less than 15-20 people (no kidding) helping you at one time. I took my kids to the toy store last weekend and they got swarmed with sales staff. They ended up feeling harassed and decided to leave without anything. That's when you know it is bad! Very hard to find a balance with customer service......Show more →
Doesn't this also somewhat describe why WalMart failed in Germany?
Well, my first impression when reading the opening post was slightly mixed. I still fail to understand why people spend more time behind the wheel than in the parks. Why would you rush through these wonderful places to max the number of visited parks? I am always trying the opposite by staying several nights in one place. Even when traveling with non-photographers, they usually appreciate this very much. For example, last spring (I would always avoid the summer for these locations) we spent four weeks in the southwest and, for example, 4 nights in Zion, 4 night in Moab, a full day on a guided tour in Monument Valley, and 3 night in Death Valley. To me this is more of a vacation and clearly better for taking pictures. Just a different opinion on my side...
After taking a closer look at your pictures, I agree that they are very good. However, I am thinking that in some cases the colors are a bit overdone. I have been in these places many times and during most part of the day the light is rather strong and the colors are washed out. At least in some pictures it looks like you overcompensated this a little too much, as in the fourth picture of the opening post (Dead Horse Point), or in AR1, CL2, and CL3. Also in some cases the green looks too strong for the southwest. In other cases, the impression is more accurate and again, many pictures are truly excellent. Congradulation! I am just trying to imagine how they would look in better light.
I hope my remarks are not taken as an offense. Thanks for sharing your pictures!
PS: I liked your general remarks about the differences between Europe and the states. Quite a difference indeed. I am frequently traveling from Germany to the US, mostly send by my company. Right now I am in New Mexico to work here for a month. From time to time I am just going with family and friends for a longer holiday trip.
This is a superb set of pictures! Having seen your planning thread, and knowing how little time you had for 'proper' photography, I'm slightly surprised at how many fine images you managed to make. (At the same time, the hardware fixation is puzzling. Give yourself some credit! )
Keith B. wrote:
Mescalamba, Do you think all this would still be true if these Leica CCD's had an Anti Aliasing filter installed?
Sorry for late answer. Yes it will be true even then. AA kills some detail and maybe tiny bit of colors, but CCD works even with that. Just check Sony A380. It looks like subpar camera, but it has excelent 14 mpix APS-C CCD. Unfortunately, its only good thing about that camera. (so yes, its still subpar camera)
There are couple others, like old Olympus E-300/E-500. Maybe D200 from Nikon. Sure they suck in high ISO range, but if you pair them with good lens and decent technique/PP, then they can shine.
Lack of AA in M9 just increase resolving power, thats all. If someone really wish to, same can be done with everything I mentioned (removing AA to get most details).