fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       end
  

Archive 2011 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss

  
 
Malkovic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Glad to hear that you managed to retrieve all photos! Personally I never format any cards before I've placed them on several hard drives.

Also interesting to see you history of photography, reminds me that I really need to start organize better



Jul 22, 2011 at 06:23 AM
AhamB
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #2 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


akul wrote:
Ouch. That is the worst fear to format a wrong card. I am glad that you could recover most of them. I have now assortment of five CF cards in varying sizes totally 64GB. Two of which that are the same size are marked with A, B. They are also placed in the card folder in a order I plan to use, start with larger size, and smallest size as the back up. Hopefully, I don't confuse myself. See how it goes.


I never format my cards. I only delete my images from my computer after I've downloaded them, although I usually leave the best ones on the card until I start running out of space. I'm not a high volume shooter though.



Jul 22, 2011 at 06:51 AM
denoir
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Malkovic wrote:
Glad to hear that you managed to retrieve all photos! Personally I never format any cards before I've placed them on several hard drives.


Neither do I, and I think it is safe to say that it's a generally accepted tradition to copy the photos to one or more hard drives before formatting the card.

No, the mistake I did was that I thought I had inserted a new card (all photos on it already on several hard drives). Somehow I manged instead to put the new card back into the camera bag and reinsert the old one into the camera again..and formatted the card.

It's a good thing that recovery is very easy. When you format the card the images are not actually physically deleted but only marked as such with a flag in the file system.



Jul 22, 2011 at 07:46 AM
Silken
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #4 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Luka, what a great trip and photo set! While they're all gorgeous, regardless of the timing limitations discussed, I actually like the flared images you posted too. Particularly the first shot, the vertical. I always enjoy your direct and technically clean style, but I think those imperfections might be an interesting new flavor to play with. Rules were meant to be broken, right?!

-Cory



Jul 23, 2011 at 05:53 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #5 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


AlexanderR wrote:
Uh, probably not. Thanks for playing.


You were right, a B-2 stealth bomber cost $2 billion and the National parks cost yearly $3.1 billion or so:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/23/world/the-2-billion-stealth-bomber-can-t-go-out-in-the-rain.html

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/budget.htm

The parks apparently do better in the rain though

So, every two years, you can decide between funding for all your national parks for two years, or three airplanes.



Jul 24, 2011 at 03:31 AM
Swappo
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #6 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Denoir:
Great post, I really enjoyed reading about your trip and ofcourse looking at your wonderful images. It makes me want to go there some day.
Thanks for sharing!


Am I the only thinking that the flare in this shot looks like the bright light that usually surrounds a alien ship in some old movie, or maybe the x-files series?
denoir wrote:
I shot from a tripod and this was the first image I got with the 21:
http://peltarion.eu/img/comp/flare/ze21-1.jpg



Jul 24, 2011 at 07:22 AM
AlexanderR
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #7 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


carstenw wrote:
You were right, a B-2 stealth bomber cost $2 billion and the National parks cost yearly $3.1 billion or so:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/23/world/the-2-billion-stealth-bomber-can-t-go-out-in-the-rain.html

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/budget.htm

The parks apparently do better in the rain though

So, every two years, you can decide between funding for all your national parks for two years, or three airplanes.




A significant flaw in your argument is that we don't buy a new Stealth bomber every year or two. Should you really care about how the military budgets work you may want to consider that the large preponderance of the aircraft fleet in the US is decades old. B-52s will fly for 100 years from first launch (and they are the same airframe, not replaced over time), C-130s are roughly 40 years old on average, with the exception of the J variant. The tanker fleet is also 1960's vintage (C-135). So, please educate yourself before making statements.

Out of respect for Luka's outstanding image thread and the reguest from Deadwolfbones, I'm not going to type anything else on the issue.




Jul 24, 2011 at 07:25 AM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #8 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Yipee!


Jul 24, 2011 at 01:49 PM
kevin2i
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #9 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


denoir wrote:
Thanks guys!

It was great. I think it's much easier for an European to visit the US than vice versa. In my experience Americans are much politer, shops, restaurants and hotels are more service oriented, traffic is tamer etc

. . . . get to Las Vegas it's like you've landed on a different planet populated by aliens


Great work! And such a gracious guest! I generally find people very polite in Europe! Perhaps a large part of that is due to traveling in less populated areas.

And about Las Vegas . . . the aliens used to vacation in New Mexico, but they now find LV much more fun than Area 51.



Jul 24, 2011 at 03:18 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #10 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


carstenw wrote:
http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/budget.htm


That's interesting. I wouldn't have guessed $3B, but in hindsight, it is understandable considering the size and number of National Parks.

An interesting tidbit: Filming and Photography Special Use Fees: approximately $1.2 million per year.

Looks like they're missing out on a great revenue stream here! Let's see... tripod permits, 'pro' camera permits...

Just kidding of course... it would probably cost more to try to enforce such rules than whatever revenue might be generated (or other losses of revenue due to pissed off visitors not coming back again).



Jul 24, 2011 at 04:25 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #11 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Hah, $10 ticket for each of Ansel Adams' tripod holes you want to re-use!


Jul 25, 2011 at 03:30 AM
denoir
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #12 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Thanks Swappo & Kevin

kevin2i wrote:
I generally find people very polite in Europe! Perhaps a large part of that is due to traveling in less populated areas.


This reminds me, something I forgot to ask the US members here. There's one thing that I've had problems with each time I'm in the US. It's when you enter a store or a restaurant or something similar and are immediately greeted by an enthusiastic "Hi, how are you?".

I don't know what I'm supposed to answer. If I answer just "fine" or "great" they seem to expect something more. If I answer "Great, and you?" they seem to be a bit taken aback. The closest thing I've come to something that seems acceptable is "Great! Thanks!".

So, my question is - what is one supposed to answer?



Jul 26, 2011 at 03:53 PM
Mike K
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #13 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Good sampling of shots. I looks like you had a great time seeing all of those Parks in such a shot time. Now you can understand why we encouraged you to spend less time in the car and more shooting! I have always considered the landscape features of the US its best asset.
Mike K



Jul 27, 2011 at 12:36 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #14 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


denoir wrote:
This reminds me, something I forgot to ask the US members here. There's one thing that I've had problems with each time I'm in the US. It's when you enter a store or a restaurant or something similar and are immediately greeted by an enthusiastic "Hi, how are you?".

I don't know what I'm supposed to answer. If I answer just "fine" or "great" they seem to expect something more. If I answer "Great, and you?" they seem to be a bit taken aback. The closest thing I've come to something that seems acceptable is "Great! Thanks!".

So, my question is
...Show more →

the expected response varies greatly depending on where you are in the US. there is a formalness gradient across the country (east to west, most formal to least) and generally people in small towns expect much more conversation than people in cities. i still don't know what the best response is in small towns and i was born in the US.



Jul 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #15 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


denoir wrote:
Thanks Swappo & Kevin

This reminds me, something I forgot to ask the US members here. There's one thing that I've had problems with each time I'm in the US. It's when you enter a store or a restaurant or something similar and are immediately greeted by an enthusiastic "Hi, how are you?".

I don't know what I'm supposed to answer. If I answer just "fine" or "great" they seem to expect something more. If I answer "Great, and you?" they seem to be a bit taken aback. The closest thing I've come to something that seems acceptable is "Great!
...Show more →

My guess would be "fine thanks." The reality is that 98% of the people asking you this don't want to know how you're *reallly* doing. It's just a nicer sounding way of saying 'hi' and an acknowledgment that they know you're in the store and are giving you an opportunity to request service.

But the consequence of this is that no one really takes this question seriously. It's typical in the workplace for someone to ask a colleague "how are you?" or "how was your weekend?" and the typical response is "good" to which the person asking the question will respond "that's good." And that's it. My take on it is it's mandatory politeness. Acknowledge your co-worker and get it over with because you're really not interested in talking to them.

When I'm in Germany I don't go shopping all that much, other than groceries, but from what I recall from department stores and random larger electronics stores, you're generally left alone (ignored) until you approach a sales person. Is this what you're used to in Sweden?

You should go to Japan or someplace with proper Japanese department store chains. I got my experience in Taiwan... Where the staff (young women) proclaim greetings and bow, etc. The proper response seems to be... no response. Whenever I'm there with my GF and we go shopping it really bugs me that she totally ignores the sales staff talking to her. But then I figured out that that's the way it is... The sales staff talk about whatever, and if you're not interested (which seems to be most of the time), you don't even bother to acknowledge them.



Jul 27, 2011 at 01:55 AM
ulrikft2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #16 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Move to rural Norway, you won't get a "hi" from the storeowner before you have goods to purchase..


Jul 27, 2011 at 03:13 AM
Malkovic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #17 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


I've been thinking of this as well. In Sweden it is not very common that a staff member asks how you are doing, regardless of how large the store is. In smaller stores they usually greet you and asks if one needs any help finding anything. But as Ron mentions in larger stores you are most often ignored.

One other interesting thing is that when you try on clothes in most stores in Sweden the staff expect you to put the clothes back if one decides not to buy them. However, in most other countries it seems that the staff like to do it themselves. Thoughts?



Jul 27, 2011 at 03:21 AM
Gary Clennan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #18 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


My, my.... Interesting topic for a photo forum! Well, the exact opposite is true here in Manila. People LOVE to shop over here. It seems like most everyone likes to hang out at the malls most days. When you go shopping somewhere over here, you will have no less than 15-20 people (no kidding) helping you at one time. I took my kids to the toy store last weekend and they got swarmed with sales staff. They ended up feeling harassed and decided to leave without anything. That's when you know it is bad! Very hard to find a balance with customer service...


Jul 27, 2011 at 07:44 AM
mortyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #19 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


When I lived in Australia, you would answer "I'm fine, thanks, how are you?" and you'd get a "I'm fine, thanks for asking." or something similar. Often you would chat about stuff while you got expedited. It was a great thing and I actually felt they were mosty sincere about it. It made the whole interaction more natural and relaxed. Great thing. Moving back to Norway was a shock. I wanted to chat with baristas and other fellas, and you only got a few mumbling words back. Eventually you get influenced yourself. Sad, I must say.

Ulrik, how are your ears?



Jul 27, 2011 at 08:44 AM
StevenPA
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #20 · US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


"Did You Have a Good Weekend: Or Why There Is No Such Thing as a Simple Question in Cross-Cultural Encounters," by Christine Beal would be interesting reading. I read it a long time ago, but from what I remember the gist is that when Australians ask about your weekend, they're not actually expecting you to tell them about it, and can even be put off if you do. It's just a form of greeting.


Jul 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM
1       2       3       …       8              10       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account