Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11402658 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:

Back home on a rainy day, 20mm UD at 3.5, this will ruin my reviewer reputation but my copy of the UD is sharpest at 3.5, loses sharpness at 5.6 and kind of matched 3.5 at 8.0 with more even illumination.

nikon nikkor nippon kogaku 20mm 3.5 at 3.5 F3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Wow Rafael, this is an unbelievable and sharp wide open lens!! And what a PP! Are you drinking Philippe's cognac?

Jose
At 3.5 the UD is not sharp in the corners and is only sharp in the edges if the curvature of fiel matches the topography. But it softens gracefully and renders a beautiful image at 3.5 with most of the central area in sharp focus. As I said it degrades at 5.6 and comes back at 8.0. For best results I need to focus on the furthest part of the photo and let the curvature of field work, or not, in most cases the floor and the sides are closer and it works, this is the least predictable of all my lenses, particularly if you focus close.
Saturation is courtesy of a heavily overcast day. I plan to use wide open to create 'moody landscapes', The red wine I was drinking was excellent but it barely does white balance.

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:34 PM
rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:

Back home on a rainy day, 20mm UD at 3.5, this will ruin my reviewer reputation but my copy of the UD is sharpest at 3.5, loses sharpness at 5.6 and kind of matched 3.5 at 8.0 with more even illumination.

nikon nikkor nippon kogaku 20mm 3.5 at 3.5 F3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Wow Rafael, this is an unbelievable and sharp wide open lens!! And what a PP! Are you drinking Philippe's cognac?

Jose
At 3.5 the UD is not sharp in the corners and is only sharp in the edges if the curvature of fiel matches the topography. But it softens gracefully and renders a beautiful image at 3.5 with most of the central area in sharp focus. As I said it degrades at 5.6 and comes back at 8.0. For best results I need to focus on the furthest part of the photo and let the curvature of field work, or not, in most cases the floor and the sides are closer and it works, this is the least predictable of all my lenses, particularly if you focus close.
Saturation is courtesy of a heavily overcast day. The red wine I was drinking was excellent but it barely does white balance.

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:03 AM

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11402658 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »