Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2653      
       2655              4373       4374       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2654 #1 · p.2654 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ben, thou dost protest too much. If you believe that Todd was pulling one over on us, you're free to do your own comparison. Todd was a bit irascible but he was certainly a forthright fellow. I believe he took the photos posted with the lenses he mentioned and processed them minimally and folks couldn't distinguish the Zeiss from the Nikkors. Whatever the secret sauce is that you believe is evident with the Ziess lens wasn't apparent to quite a few folks who use the lens. That was one reason I had to smile.

I don't know if you own the Zeiss 100, but you can likely get your hands on one. Do a comparison with one of the 105s and post it in the Nikon forum and see what folks have to say. The proof is in the pudding...

Todd's was pretty tasty...

Mar 09, 2013 at 02:55 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2654 #2 · p.2654 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
+1. Beautiful capture!

Very nice Chuong.

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2654 #3 · p.2654 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the kind comments. That's unfortunately all I have from the markets
From near my workplace, there's a semiconductor fab mini-plant upstairs I think
Have had this shot in my mind for some time now - capturing the natural lighting of the airwell with the cross-shaped shadow of the link walkway

FE2 + 400TX + 35/2 AI

to remind you (Roll 4668 006) by Zichar, on Flickr

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:02 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2654 #4 · p.2654 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Every wee dram not drunk is money that goes towards the Zeiss?
When you do get it, I suppose you'd be preoccupied for quite awhile.
I wouldn't mind having the 24PCE go around the world...
Just sayin'

A friend and I split the cost of a bottle of Bruichladdich 10 year old Laddie single malt. It was the first 10 year produced by the new buyers.

http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-whisky/classic-whisky/classic-bruichladdich/the-laddie-10-year-old-whisky

We tasted it last night using Glencairn whisky glasses.

http://www.glencairn.co.uk/whisky-glass/

It was a very fine whisky. Here's a review by a character named Ralfy who seems quite knowledgeable about such things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdelFC4Kdqw

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:08 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2654 #5 · p.2654 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:

I rented the 100/2MP ZF2 from lens rentals and I gotta say that it beats the pants off the 105/2.5 for sharpness at 36MP - especially away from the center and it has a bit less PF at highlights, but does have some LaCA. The 100MP is great for shooting wide open - it doesn't get all that much sharper stopping down (the contrast increases a bit). On a D800 I found my beloved 105/2.5 AIS goes a bit soft in the edges and corners stopped down while the Zeiss, at any aperture, is just about equally sharp across the frame even into the last pixels of the corners. Very very impressive. It also focuses very close (like, 'cause it's a "macro" lens) and has surprisingly pretty decent flare/ghosting resistance. However the 100MP is NOT the end-all-be-all of absolute sharpness as at infinity my 70-200/2.8 AFS at 105mm at f/5.6 is an equal match for the Zeiss, though the zoom just can compare at f/2, f/2.8, or even f/4.

What the Zeiss is NOT includes: compact, lightweight, inexpensive, built-in hood (the metal hood I found to be a bit cumbersome to use and annoyingly loose), half-click/stop aperture reporting to the camera.

The 105/2.5 has it's place, but the two are very different beasts for sure. The 105/2.5 does well as a casual lens (throw it in the bag and go) while with the Zeiss you have to really want to take it someplace due to it's size and weight.

Not sure how this 100MP vs. 105/2.5 thing got started - they both allow for fine images when used to their fullest extent, but are very different beasts for sure.

PS -

I think Todd did not notice much difference because he was shooting portraits (so border/edges/corners did not come into play), was using a 12MP camera, I don't recall any high contrast scenes, and perhaps was more attune to color differences than most (especially if artificially lit). He also, like many (myself included) had a sample size of exactly 1 for each lens.

I did not find the color of the Zeiss to be noticeably different than any of my other lenses when shot side-by-side (perhaps I'm not as sensitive to those things). I also did not find the fabled/mythical Zeiss "pop" in colors either.

I shot both in landscape-type situations with a D800 and perhaps that's why I've seen differences.

I got my 105/2.5 for $125 (or something obscene like that) while the 100MP is $1K+. One could argue effectively that for most situations the price difference is not worth it.

Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 03:24 AM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:12 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2654 #6 · p.2654 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Ronny, Ray, philippe, Peter and Rafael for the comments.

Before bed two more shots from my second day at Pompeii.

Pompeii road showing the pedestrian crossings:

Pompeii road showing the pedestrian crossings by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai, ISO 320, wide open at 1/8000s.

Road inside ancient Pompeii with stone blocks supposedly used for pedestrian crossings to sidewalks. At the same time there are enough spaces for cart traffic.
The roads were paved with slabs of lava rock. Most of Pompeii's roads included sidewalks. The visible ruts were left in the road by the cart wheels.

Remains of a door's house at Via dell'Abondanza in Pompeii:

Remains of a door's house at Via dell'Abondanza in Pompeii by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai, ISO 320, f/5.6 at 1/3200s.
These remains of a door were recovered by the plaster cast system. Large decoration bronze studs are still in the place.

Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 04:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:19 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2654 #7 · p.2654 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
edit: some mistake here, sorry

Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 03:45 AM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:24 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2654 #8 · p.2654 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose -

Not only are the images great, but your comments are great too. Love getting a little bit of history and context along with the images.

John

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:26 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2654 #9 · p.2654 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Ben, thou dost protest too much. If you believe that Todd was pulling one over on us, you're free to do your own comparison. Todd was a bit irascible but he was certainly a forthright fellow. I believe he took the photos posted with the lenses he mentioned and processed them minimally and folks couldn't distinguish the Zeiss from the Nikkors. Whatever the secret sauce is that you believe is evident with the Ziess lens wasn't apparent to quite a few folks who use the lens. That was one reason I had to smile.

I don't know if you own
...Show more

A Lens duel - to the death!

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:59 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2654 #10 · p.2654 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you for all the comments on my first Nikki series!

I just received my 16mm 3.5 (that was fast!) and my first thought was that he sent me the wrong lens! I don't know what I was envisioning, but I thought it would be much bigger. I am actually quite happy with it's size. It will make it easier to pack it in the bag and walking around will be no problem. It will get a nice workout tomorrow when I take it and Nikki to the Temecula Rod Run. Should be a pretty day here with cloudy skies and in the mid 60's.

Tony

I thought you'd be bigger... by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2654 #11 · p.2654 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tony, you will be happy with this lens, but do not trust the lens cap, it will come off in your bag and ruin the glass, this was posted before,

quote]rafaelcasd wrote:
A word of advice from my own experience, I have long worried about my 16mm fisheyes, their caps are near useless, cannot keep the lenses on the camera or in a camera bag unless you are actually using it. I started using bubbles with the cap on the lens, but after an incident where the cap came loose within the bubble now I keep it and carry it in camera bags
...Show more

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:20 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2654 #12 · p.2654 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

been on the gogo all day, just got home and wanted to post these before I went to sleep so Leighton could see one of them for sure

First two, I'm torn which I like, the first or the second. The 55 is how many years they've been broadcasting, but I also like the bokeh of the second.

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    105mm    f/22.0    1/30s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    105mm    f/2.5    1/80s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2013

NIKON D3    135mm    f/2.0    1/2500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:26 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2654 #13 · p.2654 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Wow Rafael, this is an unbelievable and sharp wide open lens!! And what a PP! Are you drinking Philippe's cognac?

Jose
A 1000 pixel image can be misleading, my copy of the UD is sharp enough at the center, at 3.5 the UD is not sharp in the corners and is only sharp in the edges if the curvature of field matches the topography. But it softens gracefully and renders an interesting image at 3.5 with most of the central area in sharp focus. As I said it degrades at 5.6 and comes back at 8.0. For best results I need to focus on the furthest part of the photo and let the curvature of field work, or not, in most cases the floor and the sides are closer and it works, this is the least predictable of all my lenses, particularly if you focus close.
Saturation is courtesy of a heavily overcast day. I plan to use wide open to create 'moody landscapes', The red wine I was drinking was excellent but it barely does white balance.

As a side comment, when I focus the 16mm, I focus it on the closest part of the image and it carries sharpness all the way out, this lens does the opposite, I focus in the furthest part and it carries sharpness back in.

Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 03:42 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:03 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2654 #14 · p.2654 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Thank you for all the comments on my first Nikki series!

I just received my 16mm 3.5 (that was fast!) and my first thought was that he sent me the wrong lens! I don't know what I was envisioning, but I thought it would be much bigger. I am actually quite happy with it's size. It will make it easier to pack it in the bag and walking around will be no problem. It will get a nice workout tomorrow when I take it and Nikki to the Temecula Rod Run. Should be a pretty day here with cloudy
...Show more

Very nice self portrait - one of the better ones!

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:22 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2654 #15 · p.2654 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nah - don't need to use the bubble. The lens cover coming off of my 16/3.5 was one of my fears, but I use the smallest of these pouches:

http://optechusa.com/pouches/snoot-boot.html

The mini version. It's neoprene, dust proof, and has a draw string. Put the lens cover on the 16/3.5, stick it in the "mini" snoot boot, cinch up the draw string and the cap doesn't have room to come off. It's smaller, lighter, and provides a lot of protection. It also has a clip on it to clip it to a chest strap while hiking so the lens is handy.
It won't completely protect the lens from a good fall, but it will certainly handle being jostled around in a camera bag.

Almost all of my lenses are in these (of various sizes) all the time. Great product.

- John

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:30 AM
bruni
• • •
p.2654 #16 · p.2654 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

I don't know if you own
...Show more

lol Curtis - don't go amateur psych on me - yes I do have the 100MP and there ain't no way it looks anything like the nikkor - I'm not saying better - just nothing like.

went out today cause I felt guilty about not taking any pics for weeks. don't know how Sydney ever got a reputation for being sunny - it never shines - never.

And Sydney's overrun with Americans at the moment - yank accents everywhere - first I cop it on here and then out in the streets...yikes!!

ben

saturday - nikon24mmPCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 24mm PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

someone found love at the docks by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:09 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2654 #17 · p.2654 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

How come everything I search for In Google ends up in an add on Fred Miranda

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:26 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2654 #18 · p.2654 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
And Sydney's overrun with Americans at the moment - yank accents everywhere - first I cop it on here and then out in the streets...yikes!!

ben

One has to laugh when an Aussie talks about strange accents

But he can take pictures!

Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 12:50 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:18 AM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2654 #19 · p.2654 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot Ben.. the first one is a Wow

Mar 09, 2013 at 10:22 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2654 #20 · p.2654 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments on the icicles!

Rafael - I love the composition and processing of your "haunted tree" image.

Chin - Very nice perspective from the first floor.

Jose - Were the "pedestrian crossings" over sewage canals, or just some sort of flood control? I love the tour you've been sharing with us.

Tony - Love the self portrait!

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password