Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of goosemang's message #11344954 « Question for X100 owners »

goosemang
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Question for X100 owners

also, i shoot primarily fixed focal length lenses and i mentally think in terms of what those lenses look like with my arms outstretched. in other words, looking in front of me i can gauge what 28, 35, 50mm framing looks like because i'm just used to operating with those lenses. at most i hold my hands out a certain distance apart depending on the focal length i'm thinking of to get an idea of what my framing would be. it just becomes second nature when you use fixed lenses... you start to think and see in terms of specific focal lengths.

i really like this, personally. when i have the x100 on my side i can tell how something in front of me is going to frame without even lifting the camera, and if i want to adjust i do so by stepping forward or backward before even trying to frame the shot. i mean obviously the concept of "zooming with your feet" only goes so far. it's hard to zoom that 35 to 600mm with your feet it's more that you know what you're working with, so you think in terms of 35mm and don't even worry about the other possibilities that would present if you had different lenses.

the x100 sold me on being primarily a prime shooter. since i got the fuji i've sold all my canon zooms except one. (the illustrious 17-40, because it's the greatest zoom range ever and i can spill beers on it with impunity.)

edit: quick story about adapting to shooting with primes:

i was walking through a cemetery a few weeks back, and as i'm walking down this road the trees and gravestones on all sides are passing by, right? and i realized i was just casually seeing an image in 50mm and i'd watch it as i walked forward, and then i was saying "ok this is a 35mm image now", and as i walked a bit more i'd dismiss that image when it got too wide and my mind would pick out a new image at 35mm. not sure if this makes sense, but the point was that i caught myself unconsciously framing and re-framing the scene before me in the focal lengths i was most accustomed to. i really like this. probably appeals to my semi-OCD nature or something.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:03 AM
goosemang
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Question for X100 owners

also, i shoot primarily fixed focal length lenses and i mentally think in terms of what those lenses look like with my arms outstretched. in other words, looking in front of me i can gauge what 28, 35, 50mm framing looks like because i'm just used to operating with those lenses. at most i hold my hands out a certain distance apart depending on the focal length i'm thinking of to get an idea of what my framing would be. it just becomes second nature when you use fixed lenses... you start to think and see in terms of specific focal lengths.

i really like this, personally. when i have the x100 on my side i can tell how something in front of me is going to frame without even lifting the camera, and if i want to adjust i do so by stepping forward or backward before even trying to frame the shot. i mean obviously the concept of "zooming with your feet" only goes so far. it's hard to zoom that 35 to 600mm with your feet it's more that you know what you're working with, so you think in terms of 35mm and don't even worry about the other possibilities that would present if you had different lenses.

the x100 sold me on being primarily a prime shooter. since i got the fuji i've sold all my canon zooms except one. (the illustrious 17-40, because it's the greatest zoom range ever and i can spill beers on it with impunity.)

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:55 AM

Previous versions of goosemang's message #11344954 « Question for X100 owners »