Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question for X100 owners

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for X100 owners

I'm seriously considering getting an X100 and I think I've researched it enough to know it's problems and limitations and the fact that RAW conversion is still problematic. (Also the fact that many people love it.) My question has to do with how you use the camera. It has a fixed 35mm (equivalent) lens. How has having a fixed focal length affected your shooting? Has it changed the way you look/see? Do you do more foot zooming? Do just accept that this is the angle of view and shoot from there. I haven't had a fixed lens camera in longer than I can remember so am really curious what I might be getting myself into. I do shoot a lot with primes on a DSLR, so have a sense of FL limitation, though I have several so I can switch to different angles of view.

Thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated.

Robert

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:09 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for X100 owners

nah I dont foot zoom, just accept this is the angle of view and try to do sth interesting with it
eg you want to shoot a man but you are too far? shoot the man plus sth else instead and try to build an interaction, a juxtaposition, a visually balanced geometry, a light play, a colour scheme, something... there's always something to work with

Obviously this is better suited to more freestyle types of photography like street, travel etc where you have the freedom to tell your story anyway you want or even change your story entirely any time you want. If you are a professional and you have to shoot THAT man ONLY then I dont know, best you get a zoom or make sure you have time to get closer

it's just a different thought process I reckon, not necessarily better or worse, you might miss some photos but you'll find others you wouldn't have thought of

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for X100 owners

I'm with Spyro. It is what it is. I like it.

I'm not aware of any particular problems with processing X100 RAW files. The issues are generally associated with the Xtrans sensor on the X-Pro 1 and X-E1, not the X100. The X100s will have an X-Trans sensor.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:58 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for X100 owners

I just listed my X100 for sale on here (need the money for a backup DSLR), so I feel weird about giving my input, but here it goes.

The X100 is like the camera phone for photographers. In situations where someone else will pull out their camera phone or P&S, I reach for the X100. Since it's small and light, I carry it everywhere, and since it looks good, I don't mind carrying it everywhere (I hate being "that guy" with a big DSLR). I just feel that it's a casual camera, and the 35mm really meshes with that idea. The AOV encourages me to shoot more relaxed compositions, so I would say that I do accept it, because it aligns with the purpose of the camera for me. I "foot zoom" occasionally, but again, I shoot more loose with the X100 because it feels like it was almost made for shooting high-quality snapshots, if you know what I mean.

I haven't had any issues with the raws in Lightroom.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:14 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for X100 owners

you mention the issues with RAW files but note that this is only concerning fuji's x-trans sensors on the new cameras. the original x100 doesn't have this sensor, and doesn't have any raw support issues.

regarding the 35mm focal length... well, it depends on how you feel about the 35mm focal length. what do you shoot with most of the time? i think if you're between, say, 24mm and 50mm most of the time you'll probably be fine with the 35. if you spend all your time shooting with a 70-200, then 35mm may present a challenge to you. (whether or not that challenge constitutes a good thing is another issue, and again it depends on the individual.)

personally i shoot between 24-50mm about 95% of the time, so i find the 35 extremely useful. i also find that when you don't even have the option of changing lenses, you resign yourself to that fact and just shoot. no sense in worrying about forgetting your 135 if you can't even change the lens, you know?

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:49 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for X100 owners

I agree with most of what everyone says. I prefer the 50mm focal length, and manual focus, so I've moved on from the X100, but it's still one of my favorite digital cameras. RAW conversion is fine with this camera, as it is pre-Xtrans.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for X100 owners

also, i shoot primarily fixed focal length lenses and i mentally think in terms of what those lenses look like with my arms outstretched. in other words, looking in front of me i can gauge what 28, 35, 50mm framing looks like because i'm just used to operating with those lenses. at most i hold my hands out a certain distance apart depending on the focal length i'm thinking of to get an idea of what my framing would be. it just becomes second nature when you use fixed lenses... you start to think and see in terms of specific focal lengths.

i really like this, personally. when i have the x100 on my side i can tell how something in front of me is going to frame without even lifting the camera, and if i want to adjust i do so by stepping forward or backward before even trying to frame the shot. i mean obviously the concept of "zooming with your feet" only goes so far. it's hard to zoom that 35 to 600mm with your feet it's more that you know what you're working with, so you think in terms of 35mm and don't even worry about the other possibilities that would present if you had different lenses.

the x100 sold me on being primarily a prime shooter. since i got the fuji i've sold all my canon zooms except one. (the illustrious 17-40, because it's the greatest zoom range ever and i can spill beers on it with impunity.)

edit: quick story about adapting to shooting with primes:

i was walking through a cemetery a few weeks back, and as i'm walking down this road the trees and gravestones on all sides are passing by, right? and i realized i was just casually seeing an image in 50mm and i'd watch it as i walked forward, and then i was saying "ok this is a 35mm image now", and as i walked a bit more i'd dismiss that image when it got too wide and my mind would pick out a new image at 35mm or whatever. not sure if this makes sense, but the point was that i caught myself unconsciously framing and re-framing the scene before me in the focal lengths i was most accustomed to. i really like this. probably appeals to my semi-OCD nature or something.

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 03:04 AM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:55 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for X100 owners

also, i'm seeing x100's sell used for under $700 now, it seems, and i think that's a ridiculously good deal for this camera. it's fantastic, quirks and all.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:56 AM
bmwrider75
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for X100 owners

All good comments above. Agree that there is no issue at all with X100 RAW files. I found the X100 raws in aperture were significantly better than the OOC jpegs. For all I read about how 'awesome' the Fuji JPEGs are, the raw files were a lot better/smoother, and of course more malleable. I never shot the jpegs after Aperture support finally came.

It's a great camera. My only remaining issue with it after all the firmware updates was how slow and unpredictable it was to power on after either sleep or being turned off. Sometimes it would be seconds, sometimes it would seem like an eternity. I found that particular feature incredibly annoying.

Otherwise it is a fantastic camera and provided me with a large share of my personal favourite pics over the past year and a half. I sold it when I bought my OM-D as it's too much overlap, but would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, with a few minor reservations.

dc

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:04 AM
master381

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for X100 owners

Loved the files, loved the silent operation, loved the colors.

I am mainly a prime shooter and I prefer the 35mm equiv. focal length so I loved the X100's field of view. I never really needed resolution so if I needed tighter crops I would just crop!

It does operate a bit slowly for my taste, but you learn to work around it.

Like bmwrider75, I also sold mine when I got an OM-D because of the overlap. But I miss the X100. The X100s intrigues me though...

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:56 AM
Yeidyc123
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for X100 owners

The X100 JPEG's are crazy good. I only use OVF and focus is great. Even wide open, whole subject is in focus.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:58 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password