Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11337573 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sorry for the long post, hope the gaiety and detailed beauty of the costumes and the dancers will make it worthwhile.
I normally do not post process many photos, but when you take 400 or so D800 shots at iso 3200 you are setting your self up for a lot of work, deleting, adjusting color balance, noise, exposure, contrast, crop, leveling, and it takes hours and hours. I am sure there are faster ways, I use NX2 not for being cheap but 'cause it does everything I want to do to a photograph.

Stop the whining, here is a few more teasers. I was there with approval from the organizer but when you show up with two cameras and lenses, the staff lets you right in.

The 50-300 on a tripod commands events, I did not wish for autofocus except for the Irish dancers, their dance is flying all over the place and it was hard to follow. Exposure was the real challenge, big changes in light intensity and distribution all the time.

At 3200, the D800 is very bad for noise at the pixel level, but with excellent color, and it is true, at smaller sizes the noise is not noticeable. Considering the time spent in post processing a D3, D3s, or D4 is a much better camera for this. The results may be a bit better from the D800.

A real plus of this lens is that it focuses dead on with the indicator light, no backfocus. Quality is best at 300mm and good everywhere. Focusing at the 50mm end is actually harder than at 300mm, the whole heavy front rotates but very smoothly.

All photos at full aperture.

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

You can zoom from this

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado islands Mexico 2 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

To this without having to refocus

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Mexico d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And frame the shots to perfection"

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300mm san diego D800 filipino dance by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas 3 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Ireland d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival China d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

While getting this sharpness at 300mm 4.5, in the center.

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas crop d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:00 AM
rafaelcasd

Sorry for the long post, hope the gaiety and detailed beauty of the costumes and the dancers will make it worthwhile.
I normally do not post process many photos, but when you take 400 or so D800 shots at iso 3200 you are setting your self up for a lot of work, deleting, adjusting color balance, noise, exposure, contrast, crop, leveling, and it takes hours and hours. I am sure there are faster ways, I use NX2 not for being cheap but 'cause it does everything I want to do to a photograph.

Stop the whining, here is a few more teasers. I was there with approval from the organizer but when you show up with two cameras and lenses, the staff lets you right in.

The 50-300 on a tripod commands events, I did not wish for autofocus except for the Irish dancers, their dance is flying all over the place and it was hard to follow. Exposure was the real challenge, big changes in light intensity and distribution all the time.

At 3200, the D800 is very bad for noise at the pixel level, but with excellent color, and it is true, at smaller sizes the noise is not noticeable. Considering the time spent in post processing a D3, D3s, or D4 is a much better camera for this. The results may be a bit better from the D800.

A real plus of this lens is that it focuses dead on with the indicator light, no backfocus. Quality is best at 300mm and good everywhere. Focusing at the 50mm end is actually harder than at 300mm, the whole heavy front rotates but very smoothly.

All photos at full aperture.

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

You can zoom from this

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado islands Mexico 2 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Mexico d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas 3 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas 2 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival China d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas crop d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:40 AM
rafaelcasd

You can zoom from this

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas 2 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:19 AM
rafaelcasd

At 3200, the D800 is very bad for noise at the pixel level, but with excellent color, and it is true, at smaller sizes the noise is not noticeable. Considering the time spent in post processing a D3, D3s, or D4 is a much better camera for this.

You can zoom from this

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:17 AM
rafaelcasd

The 50-300 on a tripod commands events, I did not wish for autofocus except for the Irish dancers, their dance is flying all over the place. Exposure was the real challenge, big changes in light intensity and distribution all the time.

At 3200, the D800 is very bad for noise at the pixel level, but with excellent color, and it is true, at smaller sizes the noise is not noticeable. Considering the time spent in post processing a D3, D3s, or D4 is a much better camera for this.

You can zoom from this

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:16 AM
rafaelcasd

The 50-300 on a tripod commands events, I did not wish for autofocus except for the Irish dancers, their dance is flying all over the place. Exposure was the real challenge, big changes in light intensity and distribution all the time.

You can zoom from this

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:05 AM
rafaelcasd

Stop the whining, here is a couple more teasers. I was there with approval from the organizer but when you show up with two cameras and lenses, the staff lets you right in.

You can zoom from this

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:05 AM
rafaelcasd

Stop the whining, here is a couple more teasers. I was there with approval from the organizer but when you show up with two cameras and lenses, the staff lets you right in.

You can zoom from this

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:03 AM
rafaelcasd

You can zoom from this

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:48 AM

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11337573 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »