Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Alan321's message #11316572 « Hi iso NR technique for night sky’s. »

Alan321
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Hi iso NR technique for night sky’s.

Eyeball wrote:
Do you really mean to say to turn sharpening off (Amount set to 0) in step 2? Because if Sharpening is off, the Detail slider doesn't do anything. Or did you mean the "Luminance Detail" noise reduction slider?

He did mean the luminance sharpening amount. You are right about turning it off but the point was to start at zero and work up from there. It will not stay at zero - you know that because otherwise you would not be sharpening the image. However, I work the opposite way. With it still at 100% I wind it down until the noise gets too much and then work back up a little. Then I look for a part of the scene where image detail is under threat and do further tweaking as required.

Sometimes the excessive noise in the low-detail areas is more significant that the loss of detail in the high-detail areas, and sometimes it's the other way around. It becomes a judgement call but morgan's approach is the best I have come across to get good sharpening results out of lightroom or acr. It works a treat far more often than it fails, and if this method fails then you definitely need a dedicated noise reduction tool.

- Alan

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:01 PM

Previous versions of Alan321's message #11316572 « Hi iso NR technique for night sky’s. »